Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with fit of spoiler purchased from RPM Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

IK77

Jun 20, 2021
USA
RPM Tesla says it is a proper install. However, to me it looks wrong. Normally, tips of a spoiler should be aligned with the lip, in my case tips are sitting on top of the lip. Looks ugly and not per original design.
Anyone has RPM Tesla Performance spoiler installed?

Attachments

• F2BA9ECA-5259-4B54-AE07-FB8D618A1269.jpeg
    F2BA9ECA-5259-4B54-AE07-FB8D618A1269.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 532
  • 6919A83D-BCFF-4F2D-85F8-4A4FD1B154A1.jpeg
    6919A83D-BCFF-4F2D-85F8-4A4FD1B154A1.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 491
Reactions: matj1285
This doesn’t surprise me. I just returned a carbon fiber dashboard replacement that they sold to me as new. I don’t think even Tesla would say that it was “within spec.” Gaps and misalignments abound. I will be avoiding them in the future for sure.

Reactions: matj1285
I just installed a CF spoiler from RPM Tesla on my MS refresh and the ends are lifting slightly. Good from far but far from good. It is a geometry issue with the spoiler vs an installation issue as the ends just don’t contour with the trunk lip. The price was good and the build quality is good as well. I am thinking about blending in a small bead of black RTV to fill in the gap.

I sent an email for any suggestions from them and will see if/what comes back. Aside from the lifting, it looks fantastic.

Attachments

• 70A32CCE-3CE8-4502-95A4-C2249D4C431F.jpeg
    70A32CCE-3CE8-4502-95A4-C2249D4C431F.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 306
  • F500C1F9-C142-4F76-8BEA-8A525F4170F6.jpeg
    F500C1F9-C142-4F76-8BEA-8A525F4170F6.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 315
I just installed a CF spoiler from RPM Tesla on my MS refresh and the ends are lifting slightly. Good from far but far from good. It is a geometry issue with the spoiler vs an installation issue as the ends just don’t contour with the trunk lip. The price was good and the build quality is good as well. I am thinking about blending in a small bead of black RTV to fill in the gap.

I sent an email for any suggestions from them and will see if/what comes back. Aside from the lifting, it looks fantastic.

If it makes you feel any better, my factory spoiler is doing the same thing. Just going to leave it be, it won't be going anywhere.

Tim

Reactions: Sunnydshine
If it makes you feel any better, my factory spoiler is doing the same thing. Just going to leave it be, it won't be going anywhere.

Tim
I can second this. I had Tesla come out to fix something else ands I thought this to their attention. He said this is normal and they can put another spoiler on but the same thing will happen. The technician suggested I sand down the area where the spoiler would sit in to make the double side tape more secure? Either way I just left it alone

Reactions: TBrownTX

I installed a different RPM spoiler, but what I found before you install is that you need to carefully find the right position not just to the left and right, but also shifting the spoiler slightly up or down the trunk lid will also determine whether the ends stay down. It took me a while to position it correctly, and mine is installed perfectly.

Hi Rain, I am assuming not on a S ? I definitely futzd around with it left and right and front and back and could not find a solid down fit. I ended up carefully masking the trunk and the spoiler and laying in a very small bead of black RTV and then wiping it and removed the tape. Looks custom. Message back from RPM Tesla is that there is some geometry variations in the trunk lids which I found hard to believe as a stamping press is a stamping press but in the end, the quality of the spoiler is first class but as you said, really dry fit it forward/back/left/right to try to find the optimum spot.

Hi Rain, I am assuming not on a S ? I definitely futzd around with it left and right and front and back and could not find a solid down fit. I ended up carefully masking the trunk and the spoiler and laying in a very small bead of black RTV and then wiping it and removed the tape. Looks custom. Message back from RPM Tesla is that there is some geometry variations in the trunk lids which I found hard to believe as a stamping press is a stamping press but in the end, the quality of the spoiler is first class but as you said, really dry fit it forward/back/left/right to try to find the optimum spot.

Oh sorry. Mine is on a Model Y. Well if you already tried to fit it up and down, left and right, then you've already explored all options. Mine happened to fit 100% perfectly. No gap whatsoever. But I've heard others needing to use some black silicone to fill the gap.