Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UNICORN X!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue is, this car is being advertised as a model X P90D WITH Ludicrous mode. The settings only show the options in the pictures I've posted CHILL/SPORT/INSANE. The owner is claiming that the insane mode IS in fact the Ludicrous mode, because this is a gen1 production model X and tesla supposedly changed the name from "insane" to "ludicrous" after it's production, so this is somehow a first production model X that has ludicrous mode but the button says insane instead :confused::rolleyes:

In their defense, the owner may have gotten thst bad info from someone else. (Next email scam, "dear friend, I can OTA upgrade your SX75 to ludicrous. Please fax 10 $100 gift cards the following number..."

X 90D, chill, standard
X P90D, chill, standard, insane
X P90DL, chill, standard, insane, ludicrous

That's not how it is with the X.

Just curious what you meant. There was a P90D upgrade to L option until Oct 2016 (based on posts).

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
The issue is, this car is being advertised as a model X P90D WITH Ludicrous mode. The settings only show the options in the pictures I've posted CHILL/SPORT/INSANE. The owner is claiming that the insane mode IS in fact the Ludicrous mode, because this is a gen1 production model X and tesla supposedly changed the name from "insane" to "ludicrous" after it's production, so this is somehow a first production model X that has ludicrous mode but the button says insane instead :confused::rolleyes:

At one point Tesla did have Insane mode only. Then they added ludicrous but it was an upgrade. More recently ludicrous became standard with all "P" models. Everything points to this X not having ludicrous. It's still the performance variant but it wouldn't be as fast as one with ludicrous.

Heh, I actually just realized there's a property in the API "has_ludicrous_mode". Not sure the logistics of it but if you could get this person's Tesla account details or ask them to run some commands you could 100% confirm.

Mine being a regular 100D has the following.

"has_ludicrous_mode": false

Can someone post a pic of these settings? I've been unable to find one.

Spoke with tesla sales and they are useless. It was a pretty amusing conversation to say the least, wish I recorded it :D

I had a P90DL loaner and it only had chill, standard and ludicrous, I don't think you can have all 4.

Here's a pic from the manual.

1fop7xa9he801.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
No idea on the status of a particular VIN. But my Founders P100D is just one year old, manufactured about one year after the first Xs were delivered, is fully loaded, and has the Insane button (which results in the 'I want my mommy' screen before launching).

Really!?! First I've heard of that. (Mind you, I don't doubt you, I am just very surprised.)

All P100D's should have Ludicrous mode, right? And the corresponding bar under the P100D, right?

Mine definitely has a Ludicrous button (CHILL / SPORT / LUDICROUS) and the bar under the model number. Never had an Insane button.

Reactions: croman
Really!?! First I've heard of that. (Mind you, I don't doubt you, I am just very surprised.)

All P100D's should have Ludicrous mode, right? And the corresponding bar under the P100D, right?

Mine definitely has a Ludicrous button (CHILL / SPORT / LUDICROUS) and the bar under the model number. Never had an Insane button.

I could be wrong but I believe there was a period of time where even the P100D didn't come standard with ludicrous and it was an upgrade you ahd to pay for.

Ludicrous mode definitely was a pay-to-upgrade option for Model X P90D for a time, it was not included in the standard P90D, but was an option in the Design Studio. It wasn't even included in Model X Signature if I recall, one had to pay extra to get that L (I ordered one, but cancelled in favor of a P100D AP2 car).

P100D has had Ludicrous included from the start.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I believe there was a period of time where even the P100D didn't come standard with ludicrous and it was an upgrade you ahd to pay for.

I don't recall such a period, but for some odd reason I also distincly remember some other members on TMC talking of some early Performance models that lacked Ludicrous where I thought they'd have them. I wonder if there was something funny going on with early cars/options and some unicorns really exist without the Ludicrous hardware.

I distinctly recall Tesla's Q3 P100D launch as advertising Ludicrous being included, or at least that was the version that was intially launched, but I wonder if there were variants for some brief period somewhere.

The other option is - assuming these unicorns exist - that the software is labelling the buttons differently based on e.g. Founders or Signature status (or other software anomaly), which would be odd because Ludicrous definitely was orderable for them as well...

Ludicrous mode definitely was a pay-to-upgrade option for Model X P90D for a time, it was not included in the standard P90D, but was an option in the Design Studio. It wasn't even included in Model X Signature if I recall, one had to pay extra to get that L (I ordered one, but cancelled in favor of a P100D AP2 car).

P100D has had Ludicrous included from the start.

Advertised by whom? If you purchased this Model X from Tesla and the listing said Ludicrous but you got Insane, I would suggest you bring the original listing to the service center, speak to the manager and demand the upgrade to what you paid for.

OK heres the deal, all P100D come with Ludicrous mode, you could not order a P100D without Ludicrous from Tesla. However at the end of Q4 2016 in an effort to boost sales I would guess, Tesla sold some P100D vehicles at large discounts without Ludicrous mode, these vehicles show insane instead of Ludicrous in the controls screen and also do not have the underline on the display as mentioned in the thread. Some shady tactics were used with some customers, I've helped at least one other member with this issue where the sales people told him something along the lines that Insane is the same as Ludicrous etc on his P100D Model S.

In contrast with the P90D models you had Insane standard and Ludicrous mode as a 10k option package at time of order. You also had the option to upgrade after delivery to Ludicrous for 10k. However i've heard from other members recently that it is no longer possible to upgrade a non Ludicrous Tesla at this point to Ludicrous.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ketchups
OK heres the deal, all P100D come with Ludicrous mode, you could not order a P100D without Ludicrous from Tesla. However at the end of Q4 2016 in an effort to boost sales I would guess, Tesla sold some P100D vehicles at large discounts without Ludicrous mode, these vehicles show insane instead of Ludicrous in the controls screen and also do not have the underline on the display as mentioned in the thread. Some shady tactics were used with some customers, I've helped at least one other member with this issue where the sales people told him something along the lines that Insane is the same as Ludicrous etc on his P100D Model S.

Thank you, that would explain the sporadic reports I recall.