Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended Accleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This stalk has the same behavior in Mercedes, and one much like it has the same behavior in some Volkswagen cars. Probably it is in Audi as well, but I can't confirm that. It has the potential for corner case errors, so it's beneficial to learn what to do.

I have never really been clear on why there are three actions that can activate TACC. I think there are supposed to be slightly different results from pulling the stalk towards you vs. pushing down or up on the stalk, but I can't remember what they are (I know, RTFM). Seems to me that taking away the up and down activation that is similar to turn signal motion would sufficiently solve the problem, just leaving the single pull toward the driver as the only way to activate.

EDIT: Read the manual and up, down and single pull toward all activate the cruise. It also says the cruise can be activated at 5 mph, not 18 as indicated previously in this thread. I was looking at a 9/2016 manual, so it could have changed.

Last edited:
Seems to me that taking away the up and down activation that is similar to turn signal motion would sufficiently solve the problem, just leaving the single pull toward the driver as the only way to activate.

Agree with the taking away up/down to activate. But, I'd also like to see the intuitive action of push forward to "go" and pull towards you to "disable."

Reactions: bak_phy
I just checked on my X. I'm seeing the following behavior. Anybody seeing anything different?

-Above 18 MPH with lane markers, the stick up or down sets cruise to the current speed.
-Below 18 MPH with lane markers (or a pilot car? I had both), the stick up or down sets cruise to 18MPH.
-Below 18 MPH without lane markers beeps and gives a cruise not available message.

I tested all of these with and without already having a speed set. Appears they have thought of most everything here. Any chance the OP had cruise still set to a low speed and had not used the brake? That would explain the behavior.

Well, I had a near incident with unintended acceleration that now has me wondering if it could possibly have been the case in a few of the incidents in the news previously.

I was turning into a friend of mine's apartment complex, street is marked at 30mph and the complex is gated. As I went to make the right turn, my left hand swept the autopilot stalk by accident mid-turn, and the car immediately took off. Luckily I had felt the incidental swipe and was able to slam on the brake immediately. Not sure what would have happened otherwise, but in that moment I was aimed directly at the center divider/guard shack at the front of the apartment complex.

Might have gotten interesting! Anyone else ever experience this?

I have had this happen to me before as well. I think the up and down motion on the stalk should not engage TACC, you should provide feedback to Tesla.

I just checked on my X. I'm seeing the following behavior. Anybody seeing anything different?

-Above 18 MPH with lane markers, the stick up or down sets cruise to the current speed.
-Below 18 MPH with lane markers (or a pilot car? I had both), the stick up or down sets cruise to 18MPH.
-Below 18 MPH without lane markers beeps and gives a cruise not available message.

I tested all of these with and without already having a speed set. Appears they have thought of most everything here. Any chance the OP had cruise still set to a low speed and had not used the brake? That would explain the behavior.

I definitely didn't have cruise set before as I had just made a left turn at a light prior and was the first car, however, I think it is very possible that I may have pulled the stalk towards me just enough during the turn that it activated to the threshold speed, not the current speed.

As I mentioned before, this was a surprising corner case to me so I was curious if others may have experienced similar.

I've never had anything like that happen in two decades of driving. Not sure there is a significantly better solution and this is not a widespread issue, but I thought it was worth documenting nonetheless.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I had a 2013 Model S and the turn signal stalk was below the cruise control stalk. Tesla/Mercedes changed this sometime later, and on my 2016 Model S they are reversed. When I got the 2016 I had to be hyper-aware for a long time on every turn and lane change to hit the correct stalk. At least I didn't own both cars at the same time, constantly switching from one to the other. I know some people do.

All the newer cars come with the cruise/autopilot set with a button on the shift stalk.

My 2013 Model S had a cruise control activation button on the stalk, but an update deactivated it. My 2016 Model S does not have a button. So now they are including the button again?

I just experimented on the drive home. If I set TACC and am going slowly behind a car before the turn, the car will accelerate in the turn. That's the behavior I would expect, and there's not much indication of it since it's just the blue cruise circle. I've never done this before, so had to try and recreate it. Any chance this was at night and you accidentally pulled the stalk instead of the headlight dimmer? I think the software behavior is sensible as it stands right now, just trying to figure out what actually created this situation without logs.

It is my understanding that by moving the stalk up only sets current speed. You have to pull to resume or set to offset above identify speed limit. If you move it up, it may have maintained speed giving you the perception of accelerating when you where expecting the vehicle to be slowing down. I personally have only experienced acceleration through a turn is when TACC was engaged following a car through the turn with the X loosing front sight of the leading car. In any case, you should always be vigilant when in TACC or auto drive ready to hit the brake if any action does not jive with your expectation. We do not have self driving vehicles as of yet.

I just experimented on the drive home. If I set TACC and am going slowly behind a car before the turn, the car will accelerate in the turn. That's the behavior I would expect, and there's not much indication of it since it's just the blue cruise circle. I've never done this before, so had to try and recreate it. Any chance this was at night and you accidentally pulled the stalk instead of the headlight dimmer? I think the software behavior is sensible as it stands right now, just trying to figure out what actually created this situation without logs.

It was dusk, but I was specifically one pedal slowing down to turn in. Pretty sure when my hand swiped the stalk during the turn it must have reflexively pulled enough to activate, as that's the only scenario that makes sense for it to accelerate.

The 18mph (30kph) thing was added about 25 years ago by Mercedes Benz, which is where Tesla got the stalk from.
Every Nissan I've owned had a 25 mph minimum speed for cruise control. I believe Toyotas are also 25 mph set speed min.

Toyotas seem to have an even more annoying by design behavior of intentionally forgetting the set speed if your speed falls below 25 mph after you cancel it by tapping the brakes or manually cancel (e.g. by pulling back on lever). Once you drop below 25 mph, you can't resume nor accelerate above 25 mph then resume either.
I understand now why I couldn't accidentally do it with my prior Prius. It requires 2 steps: Turning on first, then setting the cruise.

I found that very inconvenient and I prefer Tesla's 1 step.
Every Toyota and Nissan I've ever owned has always been two steps. In fact, I can't think of a single Japanese, American or Korean car I've ever driven where there wasn't a required turning on first then setting the speed. I had a rental VW Passat (~2014 model year) and I'm pretty sure it required 2 steps, judging by the pics I can find.

Toyota end up putting a short lever on the right side of the steering wheel for set/cancel, accel/resume and a push button on its end for on/off probably starting around 1992. I think they've been using that design since then. I've had a rental Chrysler (IIRC) AGES ago that also used a very similar design, might've been a PT Cruiser.

Last edited:
My 2011 Touareg had a stalk very similar to the Mercedes/Tesla one with one small exception. You could click it forward to turn cruise off and leave it that way. I almost never did. Perhaps a design like that would be helpful for some people who find the current one challenging.

I tried to activate my AP2 cruise while making a left turn but unsuccessful for quite a few times as it complained something like "TACC not available".

However, I finally could set it at 40 MPH while doing a left turn at the speed of 20 MPH and I did not lose control of the car at all.

(The grey circle on top left of instrument cluster was 18 then automatically changed to 40 then it's lit up in teal color as I pulled the cruise control stalk toward me once.)

This stalk has the same behavior in Mercedes, and one much like it has the same behavior in some Volkswagen cars. Probably it is in Audi as well, but I can't confirm that. It has the potential for corner case errors, so it's beneficial to learn what to do.

No, not in Audi. Audi sets speed through a button and resumes through pulling. Up/down flicks do nothing if not engaged. I agree Mercedes Benz does it the same as Tesla.

One additional issue with BEVs is that any accidental setting or resuming of CC also results in a more immediate throttle response than with an ICE where there is a certain amout of delay inherent to the drivetrain. While not necessarily pertinent to the question in this particular thread, I think this also adds to some unintended accelerations (caused by human error, but made worse due to the nature of the BEV).

Last edited:
It is my understanding that by moving the stalk up only sets current speed. You have to pull to resume or set to offset above identify speed limit. If you move it up, it may have maintained speed giving you the perception of accelerating when you where expecting the vehicle to be slowing down.

Yes, this is correct, but this is also the problem - especially in a single-pedal driving scenario.

Consider this:

1) You are approaching a right-hand turn
2) Lift the throttle, the car starts slowing down for the turn
3) Flick the blinker stalk upwards to indicate a right-hand turn
4) Turn the corner while the car slows down
5) Accelerate only after turning the corner

Now, replace 3) with an accidental flick of the cruise control stalk upwards (which can happen especially with right-hand turns because CC is the first stalk where hand movements turning right might hit it first)... where the car enters the corner at a steady speed, instead of continuously slowing down which you are assuming it would do....

Hence the problem. There are many threads like this one on TMC.

Last edited: