Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlatching power difficulty...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the past couple of weeks I have really struggled to unlatch the power cord (at home) from my Model 3. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that it's because I am usually pre-warming the car and therefore there is power being used.

This morning (-5 degrees) I spent ages trying to get the cord unlatched - multiple 'unlocks' being used from the screen and finally I was free.

Any thoughts? Thanks. :)

Quite possibly frozen. I try not to plug in when we have an expected ‘wet freeze’ as charge wand can freeze in the socket. There is some warming in that area, but it’s not enough in extremes. Others I have seen use hand warmers.

I've had this a few times at home when cold, but there's also a new public charger near me that has really "tight" handles.

What works for me, is firstly stopping the charge, then selecting unlock charger, and finally gently pulling the emergency cord (I say gently, enough to pull the latch down, but you don't need to yank to do that), and then wiggling the handle loose, on the public charger this is a 20second job. The reason for the emergency cord is because the latch won't stay down long enough. HTH

Pre warming should heat the cars connector so if the plug was a tight fit then it might get tighter I guess. Normally though not being able to remove is due to the pin not retracting as it's gripping on the charge cable, and some pushing in/out while unlocking can free it. What is the cable/charger, there was one where they had to replace the connectors although I don't remember which on.

Over the past couple of weeks I have really struggled to unlatch the power cord (at home) from my Model 3. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that it's because I am usually pre-warming the car and therefore there is power being used.

This morning (-5 degrees) I spent ages trying to get the cord unlatched - multiple 'unlocks' being used from the screen and finally I was free.

Is it a tethered cable or one that you could swap? Trying another would be worth a go as some seem "stickier" than others. As others have said (using different words) push it in and give it a shoogle ... as the actress said to the bishop. Hopefully it's not a sign of the port being on its way out.

Charging at home, can here the pin trying to latch, lift the plug and latches OK.
Unlatches with a little help.
Charging at SC need to move the plug up and down until it latches. On an 8 stall site a couple unlock with assistance and others need to open the boot to pull release. No big thing.

So I learned something this weekend, with your "driver door unlock mode" when you approach your car, I thought *all* doors are suppose to unlock. I thought that meant back trunk and plug in door as well. I was wrong. Not sure if it's a recent update or what, but the walk up phone detection **only unlocks the driver door**. That's it, everything else stays locked. Including your plugin door or, if you're already plugged in, your plug lock. If you hold the door open button on the driver door for 3 seconds *everything* will unlock. You can now go pull your plug out. This is a safety measure from Tesla so no one can get in your car passenger side when it unlocks from your phone. You can unlock it in the car from the screen or manually from you phone. With the simple walk up unlock though, it won't release. Took me a minute to figure it out. I was thinking it was a bad Bluetooth connection for a while until I figured it out. Good luck.

Last edited:
So I learned something this weekend, with your "driver door unlock mode" when you approach your car, I thought *all* doors are suppose to unlock. I thought that meant back trunk and plug in door as well. I was wrong. Not sure if it's a recent update or what, but the walk up phone detection **only unlocks the driver door**. That's it, everything else stays locked. Including your plugin door or, if you're already plugged in, your plug lock. If you hold the door open button on the driver door for 3 seconds *everything* will unlock. You can now go pull your plug out. This is a safety measure from Tesla so no one can get in your car passenger side when it unlocks from your phone. You can unlock it in the car from the screen or manually from you phone. With the simple walk up unlock though, it won't release. Took me a minute to figure it out. I was thinking it was a bad Bluetooth connection for a while until I figured it out. Good luck.
I’m pretty sure the driver’s door unlock feature always worked that way…

Reactions: boombap
I’m pretty sure the driver’s door unlock feature always worked that way…
And if you didn't realize, you may wonder why your front door is unlocked, but you can't remove the power cord. I could have sworn last month I could just walk up and unplug, and now I can't without using the door lock, screen, or app. I've only had the car a short time, but it seemed easier last month. I'm not 100% sure though.

And if you didn't realize, you may wonder why your front door is unlocked, but you can't remove the power cord. I could have sworn last month I could just walk up and unplug, and now I can't without using the door lock, screen, or app. I've only had the car a short time, but it seemed easier last month. I'm not 100% sure though.
In my own case I know that I have aways had to specifically unlock the charging cable (I usually use the app as I approach the car) ... so no change for me.