Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unpopular Opinion: I love the bottom-half UI in V9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the blind spots that bad in a Model X? Can’t you just set the side mirrors using the proper SAE method to eliminate them?
I’ve tried driving with the rear view camera open in my Model 3 and it always seems to make me nauseous for some reason. Not a fan

Are the blind spots that bad in a Model X? Can’t you just set the side mirrors using the proper SAE method to eliminate them?
I’ve tried driving with the rear view camera open in my Model 3 and it always seems to make me nauseous for some reason. Not a fan

The 7 seaters can be really bad. Rear view mirror visibility in 7-seat configuration? I do feel for X drivers. I have always been able to adjust my mirrors using the SAE method in our next gen seats S and my 3 to adequately compensate for blind spots. But a 7 seat MX is a different animal.

To your point, how do you know that only a handful of owners aren’t putting the rear view on top? What if all 12 of them are the only ones being vocal, due to people’s nature to complain when unhappy and stay quiet when happy? How do you know there isn’t a 90% silent majority out there that doesn’t mind the new V9? If you don’t know those things, you have no room to tell me what I know or don’t know, nor can you question my opinion.

Neither of us know the answer to what percentage of customers that used this feature. You seem to only care about people being vocal, but we both know that a lot of people aren't vocal.

All we know is they removed functionality. Generally when you remove functionality you risk upsetting the customer. Keep in mind the blowback wasn't just people complaining, but it was also people simply asking the questions of how put the backup camera on the top.

If I was in charge of making this type of decision the first thing I'd do is determine how many Tesla drivers on average use the backup camera while moving forwards. That would give me a rough indication of the percentage of people that used this feature. I'd make an assumption that all these people would prefer to have it on the top as that's where it's useful.

I'm pretty confident that the number of people that use the backup camera while going forwards is far higher than 1%.

Is forcing the backup camera on the bottom worth upsetting even 1% of the customer base?

Now it's not just the existing customer base, but it's also future customers.

Tesla, if you are reading this, don't change. We know you thought long and hard about the UI in V9, and we don't need you to take any steps back — only steps forward.

Tesla thought long and hard - “We have a flexible system here that allows our users to customize the display as they wish. What we need is to lock it down and force only one configuration on them. That’s what they want, this is a giant step forward!!”.

Genius design team that.

And for the record both my wife and I use the camera on top configuration prior to V9. If the sample size on this forum, the other Tesla forum, Reddit etc are anything to go by - most Tesla owners would seem to use this configuration.

It's a money move imo to have navigation always on. 'results sorted by Tesla' and poi's at their discretion are becoming another profit center. - - just like the nagging of eap. When the FSD capabilities are released, the first is going to be no nags, just like V1 of AP. Tesla is great at finding new ways to eeek out more money.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
And for the record both my wife and I use the camera on top configuration prior to V9. If the sample size on this forum, the other Tesla forum, Reddit etc are anything to go by - most Tesla owners would seem to use this configuration.

If you went by that sample size then most owners also have cars that are falling apart, misaligned panels, etc. I'd say many use the rear camera but not most.

I'm pretty confident that the number of people that use the backup camera while going forwards is far higher than 1%.

Number of people wishing to use any combination of two apps in general or place any apps on top portion of the screen must be even higher. Version 9 makes it impossible to use many features simultaneously as fluidly as before.

Calendar and music, Tesla Waze in browser and energy app, just some examples in addition to camera and media. These are no longer possible simultaneously in version 9 which is a shame.

As a UI Designer, it makes a lot of sense why Tesla made maps persist no matter what. It's in preparation for FSD, where navigation matters a lot more than anything else. You need to see where you're going, you need to see where the car is, and that's the main point of why you're in a car in the first place. I also always disliked having the rear-facing camera on the top half, as it was distracting and disorienting, and not just for me but for many other people that drove my Model X.

Tesla, if you are reading this, don't change. We know you thought long and hard about the UI in V9, and we don't need you to take any steps back — only steps forward. Please focus your attention on perfecting EAP, FSD, and fixing bugs, quality issues, and keep running!

P.S. If you're one of the people that are being overly dramatic "Woe is me, I shouldn't even upgrade to V9 because I can't have my camera on top", either stick to your guns and go post another complaint thread, or tough luck and join the future.

I totally agree. Tesla, don’t change this design. It’s great. Clean, uncluttered and easy to get around. I really like it.

I totally agree. Tesla, don’t change this design. It’s great. Clean, uncluttered and easy to get around. I really like it.

Generally things with limited functionality are clean, and uncluttered.

The hard part is maximizing functionality while also keeping things clean.

What I find astonishing is UI/UX people don't see this as a challenge, and instead they want everyone to give up on functionality.

What I find astonishing is UI/UX people don't see this as a challenge, and instead they want everyone to give up on functionality.
I don't understand how permanently displaying a giant map (which I don't use because it lacks the functionality of TeslaWaze) is less cluttered.
After spending sometime with v9, it's become clear the UI was designed by a summer intern who never drove a MS/MX, with it's larger display and ability to show a more beautiful 3D map in the instrument panel.

But they haven't removed or decluttered anything. Prior to v9 you could have the map up top and an app below. Or the map below and an app on top.

All they have done is remove the functionality to move the app to either the top half or the bottom half of the screen. How is that making it cleaner or less cluttered?

For all you complainers — my thread has 3 loves, 12 likes, and 8 dislikes. You're outnumbered nearly 2 to 1.

I normally dont hit those buttons until you brought it up.I guess you will see a lot more dislike after this post.

90% of the time I use the vehicle for daily commute and I don't need a map. I used to have the camera on the top and music at the bottom. I worked well for me. My quick fix now is having the camera at the bottom of the large screen and having the music on the display in front of me.

I've been driving v9 since last Tuesday in a 2013 and 2015 S. The 2018 S I picked up yesterday hasn't gotten the update yet, and I find the v8 UI really harsh, even though I've been using it for over 5 years and it's only been a week since I upgraded. I can't wait until the 2018 gets the update.

I occasionally pop up the rear camera while driving, but I can't see myself driving with it on in lieu of having the map up, and in v9 I don't really care if it covers up the music player for a minute.

I do like moving the navigation for apps to the bottom, that was a clumsy tap the top to get a menu UI that was very stupid, however..... forcing the map now, sorry, I dont want to use that and it is distracting. I previously only ran teslawaze, and now I cannot have it and music. the "background" should be a configurable app, ie browser or map would make sense. But the option to turn off the map should be a minimum. I will be also giving feedback directly in the car. "Bug Report!"

Reactions: RayW
Neither of us know the answer to what percentage of customers that used this feature. You seem to only care about people being vocal, but we both know that a lot of people aren't vocal.

/QUOTE]

I believe you can google the statistics that people come to forums to complain MORE than they come to praise. Therefore your point can go both ways. Its more than likely that the greater number of people either dont care or like the new UI.