Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual energy graph after I left my car at Discount Tire overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, I'm now on the side of most of the posters on this thread that the car was more than likely left on while being worked on over some extended period of time which caused the "tower effect" to appear on the energy graph.
Fortunately the first time I saw this in my S, I was driving. The peak was secondary to the pack warmer running full blast.

No problem. I might have missed this but what did Discount Tire say when you asked them if the car was driven? I probably would have thought the same thing looking at that energy graph.

I never ended up asking them about it. I think next time I have the tires changed I'll just make sure I have the time to sit and wait for the car to be finished so there is no doubt.

Also, on a side note I've been very pleased so far with the Hankook Ventus tires. I can't speak for their longevity but I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and the Michelin's that came with the car.

Here is a recent spike due to pack and cabin heating when I was driving around the other day on rural roads. The car had been parked for several hours outdoors in below freezing temps (at the 20 mile mark), just before the spike. The spike is not as rectangular as Tenn's since this spike is superimposed on the energy used by the motor. Since I was driving in moderate traffic, there is no way that I could have sent that much juice solely to the drive train.

Spike.jpg

Last edited:
I just had to do 2 days of work sitting in my S for 6 hours each day running climate and radio etc the entire time. Each block I used 20 miles of rated and there was absolutely NO spike whatsoever.

the spike you show is maybe 2 miles and unless it was freezing cold and they were driving it hard it seems a bit strange to me - a full day of autocross (7-8 runs of .8miles each) shows a < 10 mile spike off the chart, but not as vertical on the up and down lines, which is also odd in your chart ( I do drive perrty fast on the way out and back but I regen too. going really fast and not regening might spike it quicker and make the line more vertical I'd think?)

this was autoX
spike.JPG

\

Last edited:
I just had to do 2 days of work sitting in my S for 6 hours each day running climate and radio etc the entire time. Each block I used 20 miles of rated and there was absolutely NO spike whatsoever.

the spike you show is maybe 2 miles and unless it was freezing cold and they were driving it hard it seems a bit strange to me - a full day of autocross (7-8 runs of .8miles each) shows a < 10 mile spike off the chart, but not as vertical on the up and down lines, which is also odd in your chart ( I do drive perrty fast on the way out and back but I regen too. going really fast and not regening might spike it quicker and make the line more vertical I'd think)

have you driven it since then? It might not kick in until you drive... Alternatively, it might not show up if you charged back up after... We also don't get massive negative graphs when we charge... Anyway, perhaps it only happens when the car uses a lot of energy while sitting and then Immediately after is driven.

have you driven it since then? It might not kick in until you drive... Alternatively, it might not show up if you charged back up after... We also don't get massive negative graphs when we charge... Anyway, perhaps it only happens when the car uses a lot of energy while sitting and then Immediately after is driven.

ya, I sat for 6 hours (loosing 20 miles rated) and then drove ~2-3 miles right afterwards. didn't charge until the next morning for one and charged a couple of kW after the other event. no spikes & temperature ~50F

no negative graph when charging since the X -axis is miles which is why it is extremely improbable that the OP's graph wasn't of a car driven ~ 2 miles or so(which tire installers shouldn't need to do...)

just read post #39
hmmm...