Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2019.28.2 Stuck in Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Updates usually don’t last as long as it says. Normally like 20-30 min. I think it’s been an hour or more so far on the 2019.28.2

But the screen is showing “Software update required, contact Tesla Service” is up on screen, while another screen says up “Software updating”. But nothing looks like it’s progressing.

Not sure what I should do. Should I let it go for a couple hours or reboot. Worried about rebooting because of how they always say don’t reboot while flashing or you could brick it.

48468328807_7027893b0b_h_d.jpg

Never mind it finished.

Seemed really long and not warm and fuzzy seeing that call Tesla message.

It did pop release notes. And notify me. But notified me after I woke the car manually.

Just all odd.
Good. I would say stay out of the car and not monitor the progress while updating, only because you will get mislead by the brief message that sometimes appears and reads "software update required. Please contact Tesla" It happens more than people think. Just get out of the car and go eat dinner and come back later. Wait at least an hour. :D If still there, then reboot. No, you are not going to brick the car.

Last edited:
Good. I would say stay out of the car and not monitor the progress while updating, only because you will get mislead by the brief message that sometimes appears and reads "software update required. Please contact Tesla" It happens more than people think. Just get out of the car and go eat dinner and come back later. Wait at least an hour. :D If still there, then reboot. No, you are not going to brick the car.

I usually do. And get a notice a short while later it’s done. I think more than an hour passed. I got the notification while helping a friend ID a rattle on his Model 3 while on the highway (started update). We got home, we think we found his rattle, adjusted his frunk, I went in, had dinner then forgot about update and checked it was still in progress. Then checked it in car and saw the contact Tesla service message. Which seemed odd and sloppy (if nothing was wrong). Took another little while before it was done.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Any cool driving, auto pilot or summon features in this update?

Nope.

You never know what might be fixed / improved under the hood though. I'd have to drive it for weeks to judge that though.

If anyone says something (that varies a lot) is fixed after having any update for a day I always dismiss. If it's a solid repeatable flaw that's fixed great. But there are some many "variable" quality issues it's hard to know any of those really are improved or not, quickly.