Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2021.24.4 caused "USB Device Malfunction" error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NedH

Feb 27, 2019
GA
I have rebooted 3 times
USB drive has worked for two years
Drive is only 30% full
Drive is one that's recommended in User Manual
Drive is the only USB device in the car
Drive reformatted with computer because the car won't format the drive

Using a brand new USB drive gives same error

I have appointment in 2 days. Fingers crossed.

My model S is having this issue ever since 2021.24.4 too. It intermittently starts and stops working while driving after working flawlessly since i bought it. I’ve tried formatting the drive as well as a different drive - same problem. Hopefully they can fix this.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I am "happy" that I am not the only one... I have exactly the same issue and it remains also after disconnecting the Wireless Charger.
I've contacted Tesla and they re-pushed the 2021.24.4 to my car and I reinstalled it, but the problem is still there. Let's hope that the next update will fix it, it worked flawlessly for me till now.

Reactions: WhiteWi
This is a notorious issue. I say take it to the SC and let them sort it out, especially if it's still under warranty.
I had service yesterday. They said USB drive was corrupted. They formatted it and they claim it's fixed. I told them I had also re-formatted the drive and one day later the issue came back. I also told them I tried a brand new drive--same problem. I also told them many others have had this problem. They said if it gets big enough they will solve it.

In summary, Tesla service centers don't have a fix for this. They don't consider it wide-spread enough to address at the local level.

Hopefully someone at corporate software development level is aware of this issue and has it on their bug list.

Update on my issues: Car was serviced Aug 31. Service manager said USB drive was corrupted despite my telling him that I had tried a brand new USB drive with same issues. Two days later same issues: GPS location is wrong by several blocks, USB Device Malfunction. I scheduled new appointment earliest date is three weeks!

I'm seeing dozens of similar posts about same issues on this forum and on Reddit.

Something ain't right!

This is interesting. My 3 is just now updating to 24.4 and based on this thread, I've removed the USB until the download and install is completed and I reboot the system, then I'll reinstall the thumb drive and see what happens.

So the good news is that with my USB plugged in, I can view all the sentry vids, but the bad news, no music and I'm not seeing the USB icon any longer.

Display.jpg

Additionally, I downloaded the latest manual 2021.24, it says to access it through the media player which is the shaded area in the above picture. There's no USB icon and again, I am able to view old sentry vids.

media player.JPG