Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update Drought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same as all of you. 2016 MX / FSD / MCU1 2020.36.11.

I actually have a service about it coming up on Monday (as well as a failing battery heater).
23A10C74-8CBC-4429-94AD-0DDB18F31FE3.jpeg

Our MCU2 Model S that was on 2020.40.4 is getting the 2020.40.8 update right now. Of course I see 2020.44 just hit and a large number of cars have been receiving 2020.40.9 this week.

Our MCU1 Model S is still on 2020.36.16, of course.

I get that there are aspects of .40.* that us MCU1 people cannot utilize, certain visualizations etc. But there are some that we can. Speed Assist improvements, glovebox PIN, priority BT, range etc.
That doesn’t mean it’s ready or has been released yet. Like I said, 2020.36 is obviously still the “current release” for MCU1, so there’s nothing wrong or nothing to do other than just wait. Asking your service center to update your firmware is going to get the same software reapplied, because that’s the current release.

2015 90D, 2020.24.6.11.

I'm way behind apparently. Hmm.
I'm farther behind: 2020.8.2 on a 2014 S-60 I've been rejecting 2020.12.5 every day since about May because it is known defective — breaks USB, which I use all the time, in part to spare my aging eMMC chip. I had hoped that Tesla would replace the 12.5 download with something newer but that never happened.

Meanwhile 8.2 works well enough. When I switch to snow tires in a month or so, if 8.2 won't do the gen 1 TPMS reset, I'll have to go through the update and hope that it fixes TPMS; I've lost track of which updates break TPMS and which fix it. Perhaps my lack of upgrades is for the best if it reduces wear and tear on the eMMC chip.

Life with a pre-AP MCU1 Tesla!

That doesn’t mean it’s ready or has been released yet. Like I said, 2020.36 is obviously still the “current release” for MCU1, so there’s nothing wrong or nothing to do other than just wait. Asking your service center to update your firmware is going to get the same software reapplied, because that’s the current release.

This is correct, even though most of the websites that track updates say it’s for all vehicles, I’m assuming he’s correct and they havent finalized it for MCU1.. I was on 2020.36 as well with MCU1 and immediately after MCU2 install I have 2020.40.8 awaiting to install..

MCU1 was already strained as is, I wouldn’t want them just dumping unusable features on it for the sake of updating it.. I’d much prefer the stripped down version with the usable features.. I also may have no clue what I’m talking about lol

To me, an update drought is a good thing. I dread update notifications. The car's (2015 vintage) features have gotten worse and worse over the last 3 years. The company has no QC and updates break more than they fix.

I am with you on this...no compelling reason to update this year for a AP1, non FSD car. The only way it is going to happen is if I get a new daughter board (5+ weeks) waiting now from Tesla.

Thank you for the clear explanation @Akikiki, my only issue is that closest SeC is three hours drive (ferry crossing included) away, so I fear to be needed to organise flatbed crossing if this occurs....
I just have to ask this question.....I am not trying to be unsympathic, but I have read many reviews where people have bought the car, had an issue and require service.......... but they are 3-4 hours away from the nearest service center....knowing that Tesla not only has some quality issues and lack of service center, why would one buy a car that far away from service....and again, I am not trying to criticize or make fun of anyone's position, just think I would have made sure I was closer to service for my total electric car's infant mortality.....ICE cars are a little different....

I just have to ask this question.....I am not trying to be unsympathic, but I have read many reviews where people have bought the car, had an issue and require service.......... but they are 3-4 hours away from the nearest service center....knowing that Tesla not only has some quality issues and lack of service center, why would one buy a car that far away from service....and again, I am not trying to criticize or make fun of anyone's position, just think I would have made sure I was closer to service for my total electric car's infant mortality.....ICE cars are a little different....

For me, it was the test drive.

Having said that, I have 7 SeC within 3 hrs drive.

OTOH, having been to 4 of them, really would not mind if there were farther away, not a good experience. I have had better luck with Mobile service.

For me, it was the test drive.

Having said that, I have 7 SeC within 3 hrs drive.

OTOH, having been to 4 of them, really would not mind if there were farther away, not a good experience. I have had better luck with Mobile service.
wow.....7 within 3 hrs......I appreciate the driving experience also....I look for reason to go drive.....I have 4 within 15 miles....Costa Mesa, Lake Forest, Santa Ana and one closer to LA.....hopefully and the brand grows and Elon puts more emphasis on quality, hhe will bw able to open some more service centers.....especially once the Texas plant is open

When I was in this situation Tesla would send mobile service or come pick the car up from me in my driveway and leave me with a loaner. Then when it was done they’d bring it back and pick up the loaner.

Of course that was 4 years ago and service has changed a lot since then - but on the positive side a service center has since opened up 30 minutes away, and mobile service is more effective than ever, so win-win.

I live 300 miles — and a whole lot of mountains — away from the nearest service center. There are about a half dozen Teslas in my remote mountain county. Mobile service can take care of the little stuff but, yes, it is a long drive to the service center, when more complex repairs are needed, and requires staying at least one night (I usually camp or stay with friends).

For the most part my car has been reliable enough to get to the service center but a dead-car-in-garage means a flatbed tow. The first time it happened to me was for MCU failure, under warranty and, since mobile service didn't have the part, the tech dropped off a rental car, then flatbedded my car to the service center. I drove the rental to the service center to pick up my car when the new MCU was installed.

The second time was for a unique dead-car-in-garage problem, never reported by anyone else at TMC, and my car was way out of warranty. Tesla roadside got me a quote of $1400 for the tow and suggested that I contact my insurance company. State Farm arranged for and picked up the cost of the tow because the service center was the nearest place my car could be repaired (needless to say, I am very happy with State Farm). When the service was done I rented a car and Tesla service comped me on the cost of my rental car to get to the service center and pick up my car.

There are gigantic areas in the middle of the country, as well as entire large states, that have no service centers at all. Here's what the Service Center picture looks like in my part of the country:
Tesla Service Centers 11-1-20.jpg

If you want to drive a Tesla and don't live in a huge metro area with service centers, you cope as best you can. Same as a breakdown on a long road trip — you just deal with it. I get amused by people here whining about having to make trips to the service center because they are "an hour away" or some such thing!

I've put 93,000+ miles on my car in 4½ years — I'm happy with it and plan to keep it for many years to come.

You make a very good point.

When I bought the car, there was one SvC 15 minutes away. That was good enough for me. Now there are 2 more within 30 minutes. I definitely would NOT have bought the car if there was no service center within 30 minutes. Not to denigrate anyone who does have hours to a SvC, but I value my time, and I'm retired!

You are right - quality issues are a big problem. Like many, I fell for Musk's doublespeak. Unfortunately, he's about as honest as Trump. My motto is fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I won't be buying another Tesla unless there are significant changes within the company.

Reactions: KArnold
You make a very good point.

When I bought the car, there was one SvC 15 minutes away. That was good enough for me. Now there are 2 more within 30 minutes. I definitely would NOT have bought the car if there was no service center within 30 minutes. Not to denigrate anyone who does have hours to a SvC, but I value my time, and I'm retired!

You are right - quality issues are a big problem. Like many, I fell for Musk's doublespeak. Unfortunately, he's about as honest as Trump. My motto is fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. I won't be buying another Tesla unless there are significant changes within the company.

But Elon says:

Tesla plans for dozens of new service centers, report says - Roadshow

I have had 2 SeC visits, and two mobile visits, in two years. More than I expected, but in qualitative terms, maybe 3 hrs per year.

I spend a lot more time here than that!

Reactions: KalJoMoS
I am in the same boat, However I am not concerned with new updates as most of the features are not applicable for my 2017/MCU1/AP3 car. I am to fine to get an update when there is meaningful features for my hardware that does not reduce its life or till it improves UI performance.