Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UPDATE ON DEAD 5-Day Old PMY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I reported yesterday, my PMY threw some error codes and the car wouldn't TURN ON. The codes all pointed to the "low voltage aux" battery and a loose connection. I started to disassemble the HEPA Bio-Defense Filter to gain access to the 12V battery, it became clear I was in over my head on a 5-day-old car with 326 miles so I called Roadside Assistance. They were there in 45 minutes, pulled the HEPA filter, and messed with the connection IN/AROUND the aux aka 12V battery (yes it's the new 15.5 Lithium Ion battery) to no avail. So they pulled it up onto the trailer and took it over to the St Louis Service Center 40 miles away. The car arrived around 12:30 pm, and they were waiting on it and started troubleshooting. At 4:45 pm I received a text saying they needed the car overnight and sent me some Uber Credits. I did ask for a loaner if they needed to keep the beyond the next day (today) they said they'd try and get back to me in the morning (today). So at 8;10 am they called and said they have GOOD NEWS and BAD NEWS.

The GOOD NEWS is the problem was a "crimped ground strap", the BAD NEWS is they didn't have the part but Chicago was going to OVERNIGHT one to them, so the car would be ready tomorrow (Friday) and the last GOOD NEWS, they had a loaner waiting for me. So my neighbor drove me over and after a nice long chat with the guys they took me out to a 2016 Model X P90D Ludicriuos that "wasn't locked down". He said since I had PMY they gave me the one unlocked P90D X. It has 79K miles and has been beaten to death but it's a ride and a blast to drive.
cXCDjd1.mp4

876hGHQ.jpg

The old X is FAST and HUGE but makes a lot of noises and rides like a truck. I can't wait to get my PMY back. So a crimped GROUND STRAP grounded my Y - err UNGROUNDED that is.

And a shout out to the St Louis Service Center. Great service as usual.

Glad to hear Tesla Service 'getting it right" this time :)
The service experience overall is lackluster, and Tesla is not yet prepared to manage the many many cars they pump out into the market.
Hope this is its next priority because the products have so much potential. Get the aftermarket experience right should be its focus.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Sorry to hear of your ordeal, but glad to hear there are good SCs out there. As has been stated to death, it...all...depends...on...mgmt.

(PMY confused me, because I thought the acronym was MYP, MYLR, MYSR...etc.)

Reactions: sleepydoc
Sorry to hear of your ordeal, but glad to hear there are good SCs out there. As has been stated to death, it...all...depends...on...mgmt.

I like MYP visually and use that when writing. But I admit when talking I say performance model Y. I might have to train myself to say model y performance. Lol.

I picked up on that naming convention with how Tesla was naming the S/X I.e. P85D, P90D, P100D placing PERFORMANCE first, so I just followed suit. In fact I wish I could get badging that reads P82D. Dual Motor is goofy.

Oh well this is a discussion for another post. Cheers

Last edited:
The real question... Why didn't you press the Ludicrous+ button?
I did once, but you get a message about MAX BATTERY POWER or some such. So I didn’t want to tempt fate with a loaner. Trying to be a wee bit responsible. So now it’s back in CHILL MODE.

But man is that thing a PIG, on a 40 mile drive at 65 mph in 70F temps set to CHILL the car returned 337 wh/mi. And at 90% SOC it displays a range of 201 miles. No way I could live with that for a few seconds of fun. I’ll take a PMY over a used X any day.

I did once, but you get a message about MAX BATTERY POWER or some such. So I didn’t want to tempt fate with a loaner. Trying to be a wee bit responsible. So now it’s back in CHILL MODE.

But man is that thing a PIG, on a 40 mile drive at 65 mph in 70F temps set to CHILL the car returned 337 wh/mi. And at 90% SOC it displays a range of 201 miles. No way I could live with that for a few seconds of fun. I’ll take a PMY over a used X any day.
Hence the reason it's a loaner vs resale.

And I get to keep it for 4 more days as the wiring harness needed to fix my car didn’t arrive toady as expected. Oh and charging on my new Gen 3 WC starts at 48 amps at 29 mph and drops to 24 amps at 15 mph. Those numbers don’t look like anything I got on my 2020 Y and new 2022.
You absolutely MUST try Ludicrous+ mode!

Your Gen3 WC might have overheating issues. Any messages?

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
You absolutely MUST try Ludicrous+ mode!

Your Gen3 WC might have overheating issues. Any messages?
The display displays the 5 green LED’s when charging, a blue LED upon completion and a solid green LED when done. It doesn’t even feel warm when charging. It was charging perfectly on my Y before it had its ground strap issue. In fact I did a 20% to 80% charge the night before.

The display displays the 5 green LED’s when charging, a blue LED upon completion and a solid green LED when done. It doesn’t even feel warm when charging. It was charging perfectly on my Y before it had its ground strap issue. In fact I did a 20% to 80% charge the night before.
Probably a charging module in the X is having trouble. Good its going back on Tuesday!

Probably a charging module in the X is having trouble. Good its going back on Tuesday!
Hopefully on Monday, they called with an update and the part wasn’t on the afternoon FedEx truck, they are working on Monday and hope to get it back to me by Monday COB.

We are leaving on Sept 15th on a long road trip to Maryland (2K miles) and I’d like to make sure all is well before hitting the road and I need to swap out the 21” OEM’s for my new 18“ tires/wheels.