Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on Service Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I've taken delivery of my MS100D, I've had numerous problems with it. After looking through some youtube videos, and seeing a lot of the same issues, I've decided to share the email I sent to anyone I could find with an @tesla.com email address due to service and concierge emails not responding.

Hello,

After about a month and a half of waiting, I just got confirmation that my windshield has been delivered, and is ready for installation. My Tesla delivery has been riddled with problems, and I would like to see if we can get them resolved so I can actually enjoy my car.

After picking up my car on Friday September 8th, I brought it to the service center on Tuesday the 12th. I brought it in because the vehicle was pulling to the right, the windshield has scratches, there was significant wind noise, and there is a rattle in the steering column. After the engineer drove the vehicle, he could hear the rattle and wind noise, felt the alignment, but couldn't see the scratches. The scratches appear in the sunlight, and look like spiderweb is spread across it. I noted this on receipt of the car.

Because I didn't want to take a rental, I asked for the vehicle to be aligned, the wind noise to be corrected, and agreed to get the rattle looked at when the windshield was replaced, during which time someone could provide concierge service and a Tesla loaner. I was given a time estimation of 30 days for the windshield to come in.

Since then, I have had intermittent issues with my GPS freezing, and my homelink not working (both using the GPS, and manually using it). I can not consistently replicate these issues, but have called multiple times. I brought up my other issues on a call with support, and asked them how long it would be for a windshield. They said 3-5 days for delivery. Great. They called back to continue discussing the GPS issue, and I asked out of curiosity when the windshield was ordered. He said it had been ordered 2 days ago during my field call (not when I took the car in for service on the 12th, as I had requested, and been told, and it also shouldn't have taken the 30 days quoted when support got it here in 3-5 days).

Looking forward to the replacement, I would like to spell out the rest of the issues to avoid multiple trips, set expectations, and prepare service. Below are a list of issues I have with the vehicle I would hopefully liked to have addressed:
  1. Windshield replaced - Most prominent in the sunlight, the windshield looks like it have fiberglass or spiderweb laid on top of it. I had the windshield coated (175$) hoping it would relieve some of it, but it did not. There are also multiple eye-level distortions on the passenger side (I recognize this is common at the bottom of the windshield, but these are at, or above, eye level).
  2. Rattle - This sounds like a loose wire or something in or near the steering column. Fairly frequent on most surfaces.
  3. Water Penetration - After washing my car, there is water on the inside of the windows and gaskets; enough to reach, and pool on the leather. I don't know if this is common among frameless windows, but it also happens in the front area between the fixed, and moving glass divider.
  4. Pressure Buffeting - This seems to be a frequent problem on the forums, but it looks like most service centers have been able to fix it with some adjustment to the window trim/lift gate stoppers. Maybe this is related to the water getting in as well.
  5. GPS Freezing - I know this is a PITA to troubleshoot since I can't recreate it at will. It has happened 4-5 times, and resolves itself in 1-2 days. I have tried resetting both screens, and multiple other things to no avail. It wouldn't be such an issue, but unfortunately, everything from cruise and autopilot to homelink is effected by it. The last couple of times this happened, I have done a bug report on the car.
  6. Homelink - More than once, with and without the GPS malfunctioning, homelink hasn't worked. This is both when pulling up to the garage, and manually pressing the button. It made the noise and graphics like it attempted to open the door, but nothing happened. Reverting back to my stoneage opener, it popped up just fine.
  7. Alignment - It was significantly improved last time, but still feels to pull to the right.
I know this is quite the laundry list, and I'm quite the particular customer, but I saved long and hard to be able to get this car, and I'd love to have a better experience with both the car itself, and the support I've received.

I have only had the STUCK GPS twice. The last time just after installing 2017.42. I called and Tesla was able to "reset" my GPS in just a few seconds. But you have to get the right person. Like second level... Maybe more of them know how to do it now. Have not see it since then. Others reported that HomeLink was fixed in maybe .41 but not sure. Of course GPS could case an issue for auto open.

Reactions: OhLookItsRandy
Water Penetration - After washing my car, there is water on the inside of the windows and gaskets; enough to reach, and pool on the leather. I don't know if this is common among frameless windows, but it also happens in the front area between the fixed, and moving glass divider.

FWIW, I have a (non-Tesla) car with frameless windows, and I do not have any problem with water getting in. I go through a high-powered brushless car wash a couple times a week, without issue.

Reactions: OhLookItsRandy
Final assembly under warranty is time honored American auto manufacturer tradition - clearly explaining the bankruptcies of AMC, Chrysler and GM.

Don't put up with the parts availability and all the other standard crap. OFFICIALLY demand resolution in accordance with the Tesla warranty dispute resolution provision:

"In the U.S., the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law which governs this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Many jurisdictions have laws, commonly called “Lemon Laws,” that provide you with certain rights if you have problems with your new vehicle. These laws vary depending on the state, province or territory. Your new vehicle and its safety items comply with applicable provincial and territorial motor vehicle laws.

To the fullest extent allowed by the law of your jurisdiction, Tesla requires that you first provide Tesla, during the applicable warranty period specified in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, with written notification of any defects you have experienced within a reasonable time to allow Tesla an opportunity to make any needed repairs before you pursue any remedy under these laws.

Please send your written notification to: Vehicles registered in the U.S.:
Tesla, Inc.
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, California [apparently you are required to look up the zip code yourself]
Attention: Vehicle Service
Phone number: 1-877-79-TESLA (1-877-798-3752)

Vehicles registered in Canada:
Tesla Motors Canada ULC
1325 Lawrence Ave East
Toronto, ON M3A 1C6

Please include the following information:
• Your name and contact information;
• VIN;
• Name and location of the Tesla Store and/or Tesla Service Center nearest you;
• Vehicle delivery date;
• Current mileage;
• Description of the defect; and
• History of the attempts you have made with a Tesla Store or a Tesla representative to resolve the concern, or of any repairs or services that were not performed by a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility.

I have only had the STUCK GPS twice. The last time just after installing 2017.42. I called and Tesla was able to "reset" my GPS in just a few seconds. But you have to get the right person. Like second level... Maybe more of them know how to do it now. Have not see it since then. Others reported that HomeLink was fixed in maybe .41 but not sure. Of course GPS could case an issue for auto open.

Mine usually resolves itself after connecting to my wifi, and using homelink when I leave the house.

Final assembly under warranty is time honored American auto manufacturer tradition - clearly explaining the bankruptcies of AMC, Chrysler and GM.

Don't put up with the parts availability and all the other standard crap. OFFICIALLY demand resolution in accordance with the Tesla warranty dispute resolution provision:

"In the U.S., the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the federal law which governs this New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Many jurisdictions have laws, commonly called “Lemon Laws,” that provide you with certain rights if you have problems with your new vehicle. These laws vary depending on the state, province or territory. Your new vehicle and its safety items comply with applicable provincial and territorial motor vehicle laws.

To the fullest extent allowed by the law of your jurisdiction, Tesla requires that you first provide Tesla, during the applicable warranty period specified in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, with written notification of any defects you have experienced within a reasonable time to allow Tesla an opportunity to make any needed repairs before you pursue any remedy under these laws.

Please send your written notification to: Vehicles registered in the U.S.:
Tesla, Inc.
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, California [apparently you are required to look up the zip code yourself]

Vehicles registered in Canada:
Tesla Motors Canada ULC
1325 Lawrence Ave East
Toronto, ON M3A 1C6

Please include the following information:
• Your name and contact information;
• VIN;
• Name and location of the Tesla Store and/or Tesla Service Center nearest you;
• Vehicle delivery date;
• Current mileage;
• Description of the defect; and
• History of the attempts you have made with a Tesla Store or a Tesla representative to resolve the concern, or of any repairs or services that were not performed by a Tesla Service Center or Tesla authorized repair facility.

You're talking about filing a Lemon claim. OP is nowhere close to that. His issues are minor and rather trivial.

You're talking about filing a Lemon claim. OP is nowhere close to that. His issues are minor and rather trivial.
All of them except the water intrusion materally affect the continued use and enjoyment of the vehicle.

If you let them get away with what you term trivial . . . then you'll be waiting for parts forever. And given how much of the vehicle operates with computers and electronics- NO water intrusion is acceptable. Heck, having the interior damp can cause corrosion inside connectors and on the circuit boards.

I NEVER used the words lemon law - and that was intentional. He has a dispute concerning the quality of repairs and the amount of time it is taking to fix them. Have the vehicle out of service for any reason for more than 30 days - and its an automatic lemon.

You want the days to start counting . . . . and you want them to know you are counting,.

Accepting a loaner while they work out the issues MAY give them more incentive to work on the problems sooner, but since you've paid for a Tesla, push for a Tesla loaner until you get yours back.

That's all I can think of to make you situation better.

All of them except the water intrusion materally affect the continued use and enjoyment of the vehicle.

If you let them get away with what you term trivial . . . then you'll be waiting for parts forever. And given how much of the vehicle operates with computers and electronics- NO water intrusion is acceptable. Heck, having the interior damp can cause corrosion inside connectors and on the circuit boards.

I NEVER used the words lemon law - and that was intentional. He has a dispute concerning the quality of repairs and the amount of time it is taking to fix them. Have the vehicle out of service for any reason for more than 30 days - and its an automatic lemon.

You want the days to start counting . . . . and you want them to know you are counting,.

I like the cut of your jib...