Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated Supercharger Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least in Oregon, that's double the rate I pay the power company for power at my home.

(I appreciate that Tesla has to cover more than the costs of electricity at these locations - so the upcharge is reasonable.)
Oh, not saying that it's cheaper than charging at home.

I agree, the upcharge is reasonable. Having it priced higher than home charging (even if they weren't just covering costs) may clear some of the supercharger congestion caused by people deciding to 'fill up' on their way home to save some pennies. And it's definitely cheaper than gas. By far.

Reactions: BrokerDon and FlyF4
Those prices seem extremely reasonable. Am I missing something? Why 'hold onto your hats'?

The price in WA increased. A lot. From $0.11 to $0.25. The change is not reasonable (but not entirely unreasonable either). Charging network availability and pricing are one of the main reasons I am buying a Tesla. This increase makes my choice more difficult. Tesla promised supercharging will not be a profit center.

The commercial price in WA is about $0.768 cents / kWh. A supercharging price of $0.25 / kWh means a multiplier of more than 3.25X!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TexasEV
Charging network availability and pricing are one of the main reasons I am buying a Tesla. This increase makes my choice more difficult.
If your new Tesla is your first EV, you might overestimate how much you'll be using the Supercharger. Remember most charging is done at home (not sure in your case obviously) and even the first leg of a long trip is usually with energy from home.

As long as the Supercharging cost is less than the gas for an efficient ICEV, I'm happy with the rates.

Last edited:
Reactions: zmarty and bonnie
The price in NY State went up as well. IIRC the original price was $0.19/kWh -- and the new price is $0.24/kWh.. I agree its still reasonable. I pay roughly $0.175 (on average) at home according to my 2017 electric bills, just to give you guys a data point.

and I agree it is important to give people a reason to charge at home rather than at a supercharger. a slight upcharge is the way to do it IMO.

The price in WA increased. A lot. From $0.11 to $0.25. The change is not reasonable (but not entirely unreasonable either). Charging network availability and pricing are one of the main reasons I am buying a Tesla. This increase makes my choice more difficult. Tesla promised supercharging will not be a profit center.

The commercial price in WA is about $0.768 cents / kWh. A supercharging price of $0.25 / kWh means a multiplier of more than 3.25X!
You’re forgetting about demand charges from high peak usage.

If your new Tesla is your first EV, you might overestimate how much you'll be using the Supercharger. Remember most charging is done at home (not sure in your case obviously) and even the first leg of a long trip is usually with energy from home.

As long as the effective Supercharging cost is less than the gas for an efficient ICE, I'm happy with the rates.
Yes (overestimating Supercharger use) and yes (should charge at home anyway) and yes (still far cheaper than gas).

Has anyone checked out rates at other charging? Check out my recent session at a CHAdeMO, below. Thank god that was all I needed. I paid $11.35 to add approx 55 miles. That's gas prices. And that's what 'supplying electrons as a profit center' looks like. When I saw 'hold onto your hats', I thought it was going to be something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 10.23.58 AM.png

Even if they could offer for 'at home' pricing, I'd argue that it SHOULD be more. People charging at Superchargers to save money at home have been a problem. Outside of those with free charging, this should clear up that problem and make Supercharging more available to those traveling longer distances.

Last edited:
Even if they could offer for 'at home' pricing, I'd argue that it SHOULD be more. People charging at Superchargers to save money at home have been a problem. Outside of those with free charging, this should clear up that problem and make Supercharging more available to those traveling longer distances.

Yup agree about the charging elsewhere instead of at home. In fact, I will often charge at a location about 15 miles from home because it is right outside of a buffet place where I go about once a month to eat. However, even though it is free, I don't like hogging it. I went there Friday last week and 5 of the 6 stalls were full, so I just parked off to the side so another potential Tesla owner could use it. Sure enough, when I came out, all six stalls were full and another S waiting.

I should hope other people do the same if they are near their home and keep a spot open. The sad part is that one S owner had their car parked in a stall, yet not connected to the charger. An hour later when I came out, it was still there, thus preventing the person from using the stall whom was waiting. How rude.

26¢ per kWh is extremely fair since during peak hours Tesla is probably paying MORE than 26¢ per kWh for power... without adding on the massive capital cost to build out the Supercharger facilities.

Here's our electric rates at our home in Southern California Edison ("SCE") territory:
TOU-D-B-Rate-Table-r2_12-22-16-1.jpg

Bet Tesla is looking at their all in costs of providing Supercharger juice.

They have begun to roll out Solar Panels to some of their charging sites. Kettleman has a huge array. Imagine they will funnel all their profits back into Solar for their Superchargers with will result in the lowest possible costs going forward.

Early adopters were given free charging in the beginning, but obviously that is unsustanible long term. As long as electricity costs remain lower than gasoline/diesel it could be considered reasonable.