Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how they discount their own approved testing/documentation standard ECE R85. Seems like you guys in Europe have no case at all :-/

edit - at least in the US people can say "wth is motor power".
Denmark is kind of a special case since Tesla translated "motor power" incorrectly to "performance". They might lose there because of that. Norway, I believe the translation was correct though.

Long time reader, first time poster (so let's see if this works:). If this has been mentioned before, please forgive me, as it was new to me.

Looks like the battery limit is now being included as part of Tesla's website vernacular - a step in the right direction, in my eyes, when it comes to transparency.

P85D -

532 hp (Ludicrous) *
463 hp *
* Battery limited maximum motor shaft power

Untitled.png

Long time reader, first time poster (so let's see if this works:). If this has been mentioned before, please forgive me, as it was new to me.

Looks like the battery limit is now being included as part of Tesla's website vernacular - a step in the right direction, in my eyes, when it comes to transparency.

Welcome!

That's a heck of a first post!

It took a while, but the P85D finally got it's asterisk.

P85D -

532 hp (Ludicrous) *
463 hp *
* Battery limited maximum motor shaft power

View attachment 99621

That is new and answers the question every P85D owner should have known at time of purchase!
This is good but very irritating how tesla communicates.
Quarter mile 10.9 time also gone?

Last edited:
Now, as a P85D owner, after the fact, I do feel these guys were not forthcoming the way my car was represented to me. This is a substantial change in how the car was positioned (Less than 500 hp vs. almost 700).

That is new and answers the question every P85D owner should have known at time of purchase!
This is good but very irritating how tesla communicates.
Quarter mile 10.9 time also gone?

Wow! It could be done after all..... Way to go:)

Any reason they cant do both? :confused:

I can only speculate on the reason. My guess is that it is a trade off

It takes time to develop particular skills, life is too short to be expert in too many fields, especially if these fields are remote

Maybe Tesla will start employing some good communicators to keep customers happy, as obviously making awesome cars is not enough

I can only speculate on the reason. My guess is that it is a trade off

It takes time to develop particular skills, life is too short to be expert in too many fields, especially if these fields are remote

Maybe Tesla will start employing some good communicators to keep customers happy, as obviously making awesome cars is not enough
A company with a 27billion USD market cap must of course employ someone with these skills. And this isnt something that needs to be developed either. There are most likely many more people able to do this than there are competent engineers able to design these wonderful cars. Cost of 2-3such pr-people wouldnt even be noticed on the bottom line.

Honestly its not like any of this was unknown to Tesla a year ago. They simply chose not to share this info with their customers.... So who ever handled that pr-disaster should simply be replaced if they havent been already.

Strange timing that this happens just as the norwegian and danish owners actually went from peaceful dialogue to putting legal pressure on Tesla!

Now, as a P85D owner, after the fact, I do feel these guys were not forthcoming the way my car was represented to me. This is a substantial change in how the car was positioned (Less than 500 hp vs. almost 700).

Was the narrative around 691 hp a deception? Sure feels like it....

It took a little over a year since I ordered mine, but Tesla has finally admitted they lied to me (us)!

On another note, congrats to sorka & wk057; they had these numbers figured out a long time ago.
I've kept my mouth shut just to wait for the reactions, but seeing them, this is exactly the same reason I speculated why Tesla has been hesitant to release the numbers (and not for the other versions). It immediately is used as "proof" of admission of wrongdoing (even though it was suggested that won't happen, with repeat rhetorical questioning of why Tesla doesn't "just" put a number).

I've kept my mouth shut just to wait for the reactions, but seeing them, this is exactly the same reason I speculated why Tesla has been hesitant to release the numbers (and not for the other versions). It immediately is used as "proof" of admission of wrongdoing (even though it was suggested that won't happen).
Of course it is from those feeling misled or lied to. Who suggested otherwise?

Of course it is from those feeling misled or lied to. Who suggested otherwise?
I have responded on multiple occasions (I believe to Laserbrain and a few other commenters) of a rhetorical question of why Tesla has been hesitant to put the number for the P85D specifically. I suggested that they would be perceived as admitting fault (the other theory given by someone else is that it'll be used in a lawsuit and that suggestion was also dismissed; we'll see very soon if that happens also).

My theory was completely brushed off, with the question repeated again. And not moments after it happens, my theory seems to be proven correct. Way past my bedtime now, but perhaps tomorrow I can dig up the specific comments I am talking about.

I have responded on multiple occasions (I believe to Laserbrain and a few other commenters) of a rhetorical question of why Tesla doesn't put the number for the P85D specifically, with the suggestion that they would be perceived as admitting fault (the other theory given by someone else is that it'll be used in a lawsuit and that suggestion was also dismissed; we'll see very soon if that happens also).

My theory was completely brushed off, with the question repeated again. And not moments after it happens, my theory seems to be proven correct. Way past my bedtime now, but perhaps tomorrow I can dig up the specific comments I am talking about.
I remember your comments, and I believe I even agreed that could be the case for them not showing the numbers after a while. I just dont remember anyone saying that couldnt be the reason. Not that it really matters now that the cat is out of the bag. Tesla has finally manned up, and that is a great start!

Personally I am very happy about this turn of events. Even though the number is actually lower than I feared... At least now maybe my insurance-cost will go down:)

A company with a 27billion USD market cap must of course employ someone with these skills. And this isnt something that needs to be developed either. There are most likely many more people able to do this than there are competent engineers able to design these wonderful cars. Cost of 2-3such pr-people wouldnt even be noticed on the bottom line.

Honestly its not like any of this was unknown to Tesla a year ago. They simply chose not to share this info with their customers.... So who ever handled that pr-disaster should simply be replaced if they havent been already.

Strange timing that this happens just as the norwegian and danish owners actually went from peaceful dialogue to putting legal pressure on Tesla!

Maybe Tesla did not employ communicators because they do not really add value to the product, they do not make the product better in any way, they just provide additional customer information/education.

Early Tesla customers did not seem to need product education. It seems to me from reading these threads, and in particular, the reactions in this thread, going forward Tesla will need to employ an army of educators.