Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updating MY with 2022.45.12 (FSD 11.3.3) what's new?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were doing wider roll outs and then some dangerous bugs got into a lot of hands, so now they are more cautious.
One of the most dangerous things I see so far with 11.3.2 and 11.3.3 is that the ability to turn off lane changing doesn’t exist. The biggest issue is that it seems to like to switch lanes automatically and into lanes that aren’t actually lanes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Relayer
IMO the biggest improvement is staying to the correct side of merging/widening lanes. Second is the old naive behavior where it would slowdown hard for merging traffic (even when it's not really merging) is gone. I bet that was a big percent of "phantom brake" events for folks. Lane changes are also more "organic" feeling than the classic highway AP. Also speeding up for lead cars that are departing for your lane is nice.

The biggest weakness is still the same as classic NOA, inaccurate map data is the achilles' heel. Either the map data sources need to improve for more accurate fork/lane selection, or they need to start reading navigational signs using vision like a human does. The inability to turn off NOA and disable route-based lane selection is a regression IMO since the map data isn't any more reliable than before.

Last edited:
Installed 11.3.3 today and went for a 40 mi. drive in the country, sunny day and no traffic so it wasn’t much of a test.
The display on my MX IC was less colorful, no red lines outside the shoulders, but the shoulders were well defined.

Driving wise I would say don’t set your expectations too high. It was maybe a touch more confident at stop signs.
It still needed intervention quite a few times and the phantom turn signals really get on my nerves.
About halfway through my drive I lost FSDb for about 4-5 miles, the IC said steering assist unavailable, no idea why, then it suddenly worked again. I drive these roads all the time, that is new misbehaviour.

Tomorrow I have some freeway and city driving and hope to find some improvement there.

One of the most dangerous things I see so far with 11.3.2 and 11.3.3 is that the ability to turn off lane changing doesn’t exist. The biggest issue is that it seems to like to switch lanes automatically and into lanes that aren’t actually lanes.

I don’t mind that city driving was automatic but I prefer to control the changes on the freeway myself.

When on the freeway, use the right wheel side toggle, which used to set follow distance. You'll get a pop-up for changing drive profiles. You'll also see a toggle for reducing lane changes for the remainder of the drive. That will disable speed based lane changes while still changing lanes for route.

When on the freeway, use the right wheel side toggle, which used to set follow distance. You'll get a pop-up for changing drive profiles. You'll also see a toggle for reducing lane changes for the remainder of the drive. That will disable speed based lane changes while still changing lanes for route.
It doesn’t disabled disable them entirely.

The biggest problem I’m having is in local driving not on the highway. It literally tries to take you into turn off lanes and other small strips where there is a short dotted line…

A serious accident waiting to happen.

I just finished another drive. It actually seems worse on the roads near me. Issues at the normal spots that were a problem previously but wanting to pull off to the right when it should be staying straight in. It's lane. Disengaging mid turn is another issue. It does seem to adjust speed much quicker when the speed limit changes and it needs to slow down which is a welcome improvement.

Had 11.3.3 for a few days, I found the following issues:

1. Too late to exit hwy, almost missed the exit, I had to switch lanes myself.
2. Too late to merge in. If I am coming from a local road and merge to hwy, usually the right most lane merges to the left, and in a couple of times, FSD keeps driving until end of the right most lane.

Thank you for this. The fact that it doesn't let you turn off automatic lane changes on the highway is reason enough for me to not install this update yet. I'll put up with the update nag until It's forced on me. Hopefully they change this in 11.3.4 or something.

Thank you for this. The fact that it doesn't let you turn off automatic lane changes on the highway is reason enough for me to not install this update yet. I'll put up with the update nag until It's forced on me. Hopefully they change this in 11.3.4 or something.
Take the update and just use NoA on highway and FSDb on city streets. You can set up identical profiles with one being for Autosteer (beta) and the other for FSD (beta) to quick switch when you're driving.

Reactions: Relayer
Take the update and just use NoA on highway and FSDb on city streets. You can set up identical profiles with one being for Autosteer (beta) and the other for FSD (beta) to quick switch when you're driving.
This is a great suggestion. I found so far with one highway drive at least....that it doesn't try to change lanes too much...at least in the chill setting. I also believe you can cancel the lane change by tapping the stalk as well. It seemed like there was a slight delay before it would execute the change. So I have mine setup to chime when there will be a lane change. Then, when it wants to change lanes you have a second or two to cancel. Again this is with only one highway drive of about 10 miles so I will need to do more testing of course.

That's a great workaround. Besides, I usually break down after a few days anyway. Curiosity gets the best of me 😆
I think this will work but it's probably better to take some time with highway FSD and understand what it does well and what it doesn't. It really is amazing on the highways with comfort and driving mechanics. Just the final legs of drive near exits needs some work.

The MX now shows a toggle on the Autopilot screen to “Minimize Lane Changes On This Drive” that says it will only make route-based lane changes. I found it helps a lot as mine was continually wanting to bounce lanes for speed. Unfortunately the default setting is “off” so it needs to be set each drive.
The phantom turm signals and lunging into merging lane are unchanged for me.

Well lucky you guys I dunno, my car seems to always be on the end of the update stream. Was looking forward to using it on my 500 mile road trip this weekend. Fingers crossed it comes before Friday.