Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade after finalizing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some reading about actual range, charging stations etc I decided to check if I can upgrade to 85KWh. I finalized 3/1. And what do you know - Tesla was happy to change my order to 85Kwh without changing delivery times. I dropped HPWC and twin chargers and since supercharging is included, difference came to 5K. Not bad for 25KWh extra.

So if you feel you'd rather upgrade, don't hesitate - they like upgrades. :tongue:

I wanted to upgrade from 60 to 85 kwh and they said since I finalized Dec. 2012 with 2012 pricing it would cost me additional $2500 since I would have to take 2013 pricing. For me it is a difference of $10,500= $8000(10,000 upgrade-2000 supercharging included) + $2500 additional 2013 pricing. I'm thinking in another 5-6 years they are coming out with a car probably range is double what it is now like 600 mile range. Marginal cost not worth it cause on a daily basis I don't do alot of driving like 12 miles a day and once a while road trip.

I'd say doubling range is unlikely. Li-Ion is known technology that has been in use for 10+ years. It is probably at the max capacity. Something new has to come (Zinc-Air most probably) and it may or may not be ready for mass production in 5 years.

Besides, there is no real reason to double range. Look at current gasoline cars. They mostly have range of about 300 miles. No need to go farther when gas station is at every block. Extending charging infrastructure will fix range anxiety. So I personally expect development of changing network and lowering cost of Li-Ion rather than brand new technology taking over the market.