Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from 2003 Honda Accord to a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have my Model 3 yet and have not actually driven one. Has anyone here gone from an old Accord (or something similar) to the Model 3?

I am very curious to hear what the experience was like for you. My accord is no frills, utilitarian. No side airbags even!

Thanks for reading.

What was the biggest change for you?

-Tech, Model 3 really is a smartphone on wheels.
-Acceleration, people talk about it, but it's quite another thing to sit in the driver's seat and feel that instant torque. Once you go instant torque you don't go back.
-No more stopping at gas stations, you have no idea how nice that feels.
-No engine noises, very apparent right away. My drive down pacific coast highway is so much nicer now.
-Autopilot makes driving long distances more relaxing, I had issues driving long distances before, now I don't think about it.
-Visibility is very nice with the way Model 3 is designed, you see so much in front of you, and above.
-The car is just damn s3xy.

I upgraded from a 2007 Honda Civic with 184,000 miles to a brand new 2017 Tesla Model S. You'll make the transition just fine. You'll love it.

Thanks Derek. Did you do a total cost of ownership comparison between the Civic and Model 3? I am not sure how to think about the maintenance on the 3. I am assuming that any issues should be under warranty in the beginning and it should be pretty solid after that. At fault repairs should be much more, but I think general maintenance should be lower.

Thanks Derek. Did you do a total cost of ownership comparison between the Civic and Model 3? I am not sure how to think about the maintenance on the 3. I am assuming that any issues should be under warranty in the beginning and it should be pretty solid after that. At fault repairs should be much more, but I think general maintenance should be lower.
I did not — they're notably different classes of vehicles, the Civic was due to be retired from my life, and I wanted the Tesla so hard. That said, my operating cost between maintenance and fuel has lower with the Tesla.

Reactions: Redding#2
I did not — they're notably different classes of vehicles, the Civic was due to be retired from my life, and I wanted the Tesla so hard. That said, my operating cost between maintenance and fuel has lower with the Tesla.

Total cost for me after all credits will be about $50,000. My assumption is that in 15 years it will be worth $10,000. So $40,000 spread over 15 years, or $2667 a year and $2839.5 with electricity added. I expect at least $980 a year in fuel savings. My guess is something equivalent to my Accord today would average $2110 a year at a minimum. A premium of just $730 a year for a Model 3 is a bargain! The major unknown is how maintenance will compare over the life of the car.

I would not buy a gas car again for many reasons ($2110 is the minimum, who knows how gas prices will change), I just did the figures to compare to my previous cost of ownership. From what I have read and heard, the Model 3 is in a completely different league compared to my Accord and does not appear to be considerably more expensive over a similar service life.

Total cost for me after all credits will be about $50,000. My assumption is that in 15 years it will be worth $10,000. So $40,000 spread over 15 years, or $2667 a year and $2839.5 with electricity added. I expect at least $980 a year in fuel savings. My guess is something equivalent to my Accord today would average $2110 a year at a minimum. A premium of just $730 a year for a Model 3 is a bargain! The major unknown is how maintenance will compare over the life of the car.

I would not buy a gas car again for many reasons ($2110 is the minimum, who knows how gas prices will change), I just did the figures to compare to my previous cost of ownership. From what I have read and heard, the Model 3 is in a completely different league compared to my Accord and does not appear to be considerably more expensive over a similar service life.
Did you include the $1000 in electricity credit that Redding Electric Utility offers? That covers about 27,000 miles of driving an EV.

Did you include the $1000 in electricity credit that Redding Electric Utility offers? That covers about 27,000 miles of driving an EV.

Yes. I think I actually first read about that from a previous post you made! I anticipate 7500+2500+1000 which is 11000 in total tax credits. There's also the 500 for a charger installation (local credit for REU only), I haven't factored that into the lifetime cost yet.

Thanks for making that post, I may not have found it!

going from a 2003 accord to ANY new car will be a huge upgrade. i'd bet you don't have the following features that many new cars have standard now:
rear camera
bluetooth connection for phone
radar sensors on bumper for proximity alerts
usb ports
advanced power seats
different meters/scales, like mpg, miles remaining, resettable multiple trip meters...
side airbags
fancy collision avoidance in some form

and how's that cassette tape deck working for you? and i'm willing to bet there is a huge fluid spot in your regular parking spot.

now from a new ICE to a new Model 3?????? that alone is great:
no gas tank
regen braking: one pedal driving
OTA updates
autopilot/TACC
huge center screen
safest car out there
instant torque/acceleration, with 5.1 sec 0-60, at worst
comparatively greater cabin and storage space (no hump in the middle of the back seat floor, more head room, no engine)

going from a 2003 accord to ANY new car will be a huge upgrade. i'd bet you don't have the following features that many new cars have standard now:
rear camera
bluetooth connection for phone
radar sensors on bumper for proximity alerts
usb ports
advanced power seats
different meters/scales, like mpg, miles remaining, resettable multiple trip meters...
side airbags
fancy collision avoidance in some form

and how's that cassette tape deck working for you? and i'm willing to bet there is a huge fluid spot in your regular parking spot.

now from a new ICE to a new Model 3?????? that alone is great:
no gas tank
regen braking: one pedal driving
OTA updates
autopilot/TACC
huge center screen
safest car out there
instant torque/acceleration, with 5.1 sec 0-60, at worst
comparatively greater cabin and storage space (no hump in the middle of the back seat floor, more head room, no engine)
How would you feel going from riding a horse to driving a motor vehicle?

Going from my 2006 Civic to Model 3 RWD was like I got sent to the future, in a different dimension.

I thought Gavyne was exaggerating! Seems not... :)

I don't own a Honda Accord, but the best thing that I love about the Model 3 is the instant torque. Second to that is the mostly one pedal driving for smoother driving experience. Everything else that everybody mentioned good things about the Model 3 are also true. I just can't go back buying another gasoline car. Enjoy when you own one.

I don't own a Honda Accord, but the best thing that I love about the Model 3 is the instant torque. Second to that is the mostly one pedal driving for smoother driving experience. Everything else that everybody mentioned good things about the Model 3 are also true. I just can't go back buying another gasoline car. Enjoy when you own one.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I've only heard good things about one pedal driving but it's not a feature I've given much thought. It seems too different from my other cars. Is it really that much better? How long do you think it takes to adapt?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I've only heard good things about one pedal driving but it's not a feature I've given much thought. It seems too different from my other cars. Is it really that much better? How long do you think it takes to adapt?

I drove a 6 speed manual transmission car (2006 Acura RSX Type S) before owning the Model 3. This allowed me to gauge how much gas I would be giving to accelerate for the sake of driving economically. lt was an easy transition for me, probably took about a day to get the hang of it, another day or so to get the hang of the regen slowdown distance before braking. Probably almost a week to make everything smooth due to my limited distance of driving every day (about 4 miles round trip). Took less than a second to master hitting maximum torque. :D