Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded from HW1 to HW2 my thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's to tell? They have delivered the software they determined is suitable for customer deployment. They have plans to continuously add features.

Musk says you will be sleeping in the back of your in 2019 if FSD approved by regulators.

What you really want to know, I think, is why the reality of the delivered system seems incongruous with Musk's statements.

Because they promised an "enhanced" autopilot with AP2, but what we got is actually much inferior to AP1. Not to mention summon, auto-wipers, blind-spot, forward collision, etc. etc. It should be painfully obvious if you actually own an AP2 car. Based on your post, I don't think you do.

Let me put it another way: You go the the Apple Store and test out the Iphone 5. You particularly like the camera. Several months later, Apple announces the Iphone 6 with built-in camera that has SLR quality. You preorder the Iphone 6 putting down a non-refundable deposit and paying about 2x the cost of a used Iphone 5.

You get your Iphone 6 eventually with promise that the camera will be turned on via software update in a few months. You wait patiently having a phone with non-functional camera. A few months later, they finally activate the camera feature but it is only black and white and low resolution, not even close to the SLR quality as promised.

My fav
Thankfully the upgrade only costed me about 12K
This is my favorite part of your post o_O...you're a cup half full kinda guy I can tell....

Anyhew, I think it's becoming increasingly apparent that Tesla vastly underestimated the difficulty of duplicating the mobileye system that AP1 uses, I don't see AP2 surpassing AP1 in the real world for a long time to come. Like a year or longer from now. I think it's perfectly possible that people who leased an AP2 car early on will never see parity before their lease ends.

I do love my car, BTW.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oktane
I still haven't gotten the update to allow AEB.

Me neither. Is it supposed to be 17.11.45 by now? I'm still with 17.16.35.​

-autopilot 1 identifies lanes in a more stable way than 2. Lanes look shaky and jittery on autopilot 2 cluster panel

I have noticed the same between AP1 and AP2. Lines "dance" with AP2, usually causing the car to prompt you to grab the wheel.​

-when can autopilot 2 identify cars, trucks and motorcycles? Autopilot 1 does this beautifully. Shouldn't the number of cameras be able to distinguish that by now? Motorcycles and pedestrians are still invisible to autopilot 2.

I asked this same question to My Tesla service rep. They didn't know. A few weeks ago...

Me:

AP2 does not have the ability to display trucks in the car's graphic display? I see that AP1 can do that.
Tesla service rep:

I'm not 100% certain if it's capable of showing that yet. If it doesn't, it should soon though.​
:confused:

-still no autowiper and autobeam/dim. These were very handy on autopilot 1 and I feel like driving a downgraded one.

I feel the same. These were pretty awesome features on my AP1 loaner.​

-there is excessive braking at times with autopilot 2 because it seems to sometimes identify the car on the next lane as on my lane, explaining the jitteriness of the cluster. So far it hasn't been a huge deal because I haven't experienced a full stop, but it seems autopilot 2 is more confused about who is on front esp on turns.

I deal with this excessive braking when changing lanes everyday. Between the braking, lane diving and going too far to one side of the lane or other, the whole lane-change experience is a I-hope-it-is-smooth-this-time type of thing. It's 50/50 - smooth vs. a brake and/or dive. AP1 on the other hand does a much better job.​

Been two months and i feel like I've downgraded rather than upgraded. I hope feature parity comes soon. Beginning to regret upgrading for Tesla.

Its been one month for me, and I feel the same. I have driven an AP1 loaner for about half that month (fit and finish and A.C. issues = 3 trips back to the SC in as many weeks). AP1 is without question significantly better than AP2.​

Between the misleading enhanced name and the misleading enhanced price tag of Enhanced Autopilot, I am disappointed, but also hopeful of future improvements.

I did my homework prior to purchasing, so I kind of knew what to expect with version 2.0, but man, I thought it would be a bit better than this.

I just reread the entire description of EAP on the Tesla build page and I really don't believe that it could be more misleading.
Order a Tesla Model S | Tesla

Seriously?...

"Enhanced Autopilot adds new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot experience."

- Yeah, like causing you to curse and grit your teeth because your car almost sideswiped the vehicle two lanes over after it made an awkward attempt to switch lanes with auto-steer. :eek:

I guess I missed the part in the description that says many of these EAP features are NOT YET available.

I suppose we are to read between the lines (or search for the fine print or check/confirm on the TMC) to understand exactly what they mean by the following:

"Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval."​

Venting over. The car and autopilot are awesome otherwise. :)

Last edited:
Because they promised an "enhanced" autopilot with AP2, but what we got is actually much inferior to AP1. Not to mention summon, auto-wipers, blind-spot, forward collision, etc. etc. It should be painfully obvious if you actually own an AP2 car. Based on your post, I don't think you do.

Let me put it another way: You go the the Apple Store and test out the Iphone 5. You particularly like the camera. Several months later, Apple announces the Iphone 6 with built-in camera that has SLR quality. You preorder the Iphone 6 putting down a non-refundable deposit and paying about 2x the cost of a used Iphone 5.

You get your Iphone 6 eventually with promise that the camera will be turned on via software update in a few months. You wait patiently having a phone with non-functional camera. A few months later, they finally activate the camera feature but it is only black and white and low resolution, not even close to the SLR quality as promised.

You seem to think I'm defending Tesla. I think it is bizarre that they have not received a great deal of criticism for both their lackluster internal AP development process and also how they have sold AP2 to customers.

My point was that you have Tesla's official position on AP directly from Musk: Sleeping in the car in 2019. The features you list are a trivial part of the functionality needed for level 5 autonomy.

You seem to think I'm defending Tesla. I think it is bizarre that they have not received a great deal of criticism for both their lackluster internal AP development process and also how they have sold AP2 to customers.

My point was that you have Tesla's official position on AP directly from Musk: Sleeping in the car in 2019. The features you list are a trivial part of the functionality needed for level 5 autonomy.

My mistake, I must have misinterpreted your post. I thought you were defending their AP2 roll-out. Sorry!

Latest firmware release: 17.11.45 (8.1)
Current confirmed working list on AP HW2

1. Turn headlights on and off auto
2. Side collision warnings are present
3. Speed Assist (Cruise control)
4. Parking assist
5. Traffic-aware cruise control
6. Forward collision warning
7. Low-Speed Autosteer (Beta) 35mph
8. Autosteer on interstate highways or divided highways (80 mph)
9. Autosteer while on local roads
10. Autopark (parallel) you must go slower than 15mph for the P to show up
11. Summon (Beta)
12. Auto lane change
13. Lane departure warning
14. Headrest adjustment
15. Auto emergency braking (firmware 17.11.45)

Not on Autopilot 2 yet.

1. Auto high beam and dimming of the headlights
2. Blind spot detection
3. Auto transition to another freeway
4. Auto freeway exit
5. Auto wipers
6. Headlight movement with steering
7. Cabin Overheat Protection
8. No graphic to detect rucksack and motorcycles

Still haven't received the new update that allows AEB as an option. Anybody in the same boat?

Other than slightly smoother uploading of google maps and net surfi

Tesla recently called me asking if I was interested in the $2K upgrade to 75 KWh. I took the opportunity to ask about the latest software and when I could expect it. Apparently owners on the West Coast receive it first and those in the East are last. Seems odd. Not sure I believe that explanation. Although I'm in the East and I'm still waiting for the 17.11.45.