Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading from NEMA 14-50 50amps to HPWC 60amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, sounds like a pigtail would be a very straightforward and cost effective solution (while maybe not technically code compliant). Just make sure to use proper strain relief.

Your 50a breaker is already on its own circuit, it just happens to be of the higher density "tandem" style breakers. Really no functional difference. If you are getting your panel replaced then most likely you should be getting all brand new breakers anyway. The non-tandem breakers are generally much cheaper and so assuming your new panel has plenty of physical slots I would go with all non-tandem breakers.

Thanks guys.
@eprosenx I assume you mean a 1in cable gland and/or clamp connector?

From the manual: "Use a 1" (25 mm) cable gland to seal the power conduit or cable."

I'm planning to follow this guide and all I need looks like are power range cord and a cable gland (and some electrical tape and tools like screwdrivers, wire stripper, voltmeter, level, drill). Not sure about M20 or M32 cable glands, I think that's what my 1in cable gland is for (planning bottom fed).

I think I am on the same page with you, pigtail with HPWC. I pick the second cord that you posted previously and I will put to clamp to secure the pigtail.

Attachments

• 6637A1C6-3A0D-47C1-94C5-A72A67B0309E.jpeg
    6637A1C6-3A0D-47C1-94C5-A72A67B0309E.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: FlatSix911
If it were me, I would mount the wall connector right next to the outlet and try to get the pigtail down under 2 feet. Not saying your plan is terrible, just saying what I would do. Both of those cords look fine to me.

I suspect he will be limited in mounting options to wherever there is an available stud. I personally would probably not want to have to mount plywood or anything just to put the wall connector in the exact spot I wanted it. I would just move it to wherever there was a stud.

I would also use the Wall Connector as the cord holder.

Reactions: jgd108
I suspect he will be limited in mounting options to wherever there is an available stud. I personally would probably not want to have to mount plywood or anything just to put the wall connector in the exact spot I wanted it. I would just move it to wherever there was a stud.

Correct. I'll see when I get the HPWC, but mounting it on the stud next to the outlet won't leave room for the cord to loop around and it would look awkward to have the NEMA, HPWC and cable organizer all next to each other.
If I put the HPWC on the stud where the cable organizer is, that's max 3 feet of pigtail cabling. And high enough that nobody will "yank it".
I hope the signature HPWC ships shortly, heard of delays earlier this year.

Sure, but he said he was going to put it 4 feet away, which is TWO studs away. If he only had it one stud over, the pigtail would be shorter.

Sure, but he said he was going to put it 4 feet away, which is TWO studs away. If he only had it one stud over, the pigtail would be shorter.

I spent some time finding all the nearby studs on that wall, and it turns out I can't confirm the first one 16in from the left wall (only found one nail). So really the "Stud 2" is 33in from the wall which means the first "two" studs are 16in apart, but from that one the next few are 24in apart.

So I'm going to play safe and go with Stud 2 where the cable organizer is. Anyways Stud 1 is way too close to the NEMA outlet box.

As for making the cord shorter, unless I rotate the outlet or find a range cord with another angle it will have to loop since both ends of the cord will be from down right. Just like how the UMC cord is looking now. Can make it 3 feet instead of 4 feet. For 2 feet it would have to be wired directly without a range cord I guess.

Attachments

• 20180828_150722.jpg
    20180828_150722.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180828_150814.jpg
    20180828_150814.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Informative
I spent some time finding all the nearby studs on that wall, and it turns out I can't confirm the first one 16in from the left wall (only found one nail). So really the "Stud 2" is 33in from the wall which means the first "two" studs are 16in apart, but from that one the next few are 24in apart.

So I'm going to play safe and go with Stud 2 where the cable organizer is. Anyways Stud 1 is way too close to the NEMA outlet box.

As for making the cord shorter, unless I rotate the outlet or find a range cord with another angle it will have to loop since both ends of the cord will be from down right. Just like how the UMC cord is looking now. Can make it 3 feet instead of 4 feet. For 2 feet it would have to be wired directly without a range cord I guess.

I personally would go with the aesthetic of the wire going down and back up symmetrically. I would not rotate the outlet (but not sure the holes would line up anyway).

I think it will take more feet of cable than you might expect. Not sure I would be too anal about trying to be the shortest possible. I don’t really know that it matters if it is 2’ vs. 4’.

Reactions: jgd108
As the OP to "wrap up" I just installed the Signature Wall Connector today and it wasn't too hard, did it all by myself :p
Took me under 2 hrs (and many more of planning for sure!).
That's the pigtail way guys! 40 amps charging, but the look is amazing!
Thanks to all of you for the help!!

View attachment 332571

Nicely done! Great job doing the planning to come up with a workable solution for your specific needs!

I take it you have verified it maxes out at 40 amps properly (correct dip switch setting)? I would check to make sure nothing got hot (plug, cable, Wall Connector, etc...) the first time or two I used it.

I like the Wall Connectors. To me, it is the only way to roll...

As the OP to "wrap up" I just installed the Signature Wall Connector today and it wasn't too hard, did it all by myself :p
Took me under 2 hrs (and many more of planning for sure!).
That's the pigtail way guys! 40 amps charging, but the look is amazing!
Thanks to all of you for the help!!

View attachment 332571

Congratulations to OP, I keep monitor the pigtail, cable and breaker every 10 minutes on my first hour charging to make sure it’s warm, not hot.

Thanks guys (@eprosenx @DUBM3 and others). You've been awesome.
I tested for 10 min but it was during on-peak (53 cents / kwh!!) so it will only charge past midnight in super off peak.
I've set the dial to 8, charging at 40 amps (confirmed in the car). The ramp to 37mph was slow than the ramp to 30mph on the UMC, not sure why.
Felt really nice doing this myself, learning new skills owning a Tesla for sure :p

Thanks guys (@eprosenx @DUBM3 and others). You've been awesome.
I tested for 10 min but it was during on-peak (53 cents / kwh!!) so it will only charge past midnight in super off peak.
I've set the dial to 8, charging at 40 amps (confirmed in the car). The ramp to 37mph was slow than the ramp to 30mph on the UMC, not sure why.
Felt really nice doing this myself, learning new skills owning a Tesla for sure :p

I feel your pain, I tried mine at partial peak, $.26 kWh for 2 hours charging period. Just want to be make sure, safe better than sorry! I don’t want to get smoked when I charge during sleep time.

Reactions: eprosenx
I feel your pain, I tried mine at partial peak, $.26 kWh for 2 hours charging period. Just want to be make sure, safe better than sorry! I don’t want to get smoked when I charge during sleep time.

Yeah, this is no joke. Testing during waking hours is a good idea. Really, charging at night is somewhat more risky, however, it is the only really feasible thing to do with these crazy electrical costs in some areas of the country.

Reactions: DUBM3

Yeah, this is no joke. Testing during waking hours is a good idea. Really, charging at night is somewhat more risky, however, it is the only really feasible thing to do with these crazy electrical costs in some areas of the country.

Understood. I splurged for safety sake :) and been charging for the past hour.
It was stuck at 36mph for a long time, now 37mph and the voltage is hovering between 234-237V is that because of the pigtail?
When I was doing UMC at 32 amps it used to be 240V.
Pigtail plug is warm but all good no overheating.

Add some pics of my install..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 10.02.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 10.02.16 PM.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 59
  • install2.jpg
    install2.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 57
  • install1.jpg
    install1.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
  • Informative
Understood. I splurged for safety sake :) and been charging for the past hour.
It was stuck at 36mph for a long time, now 37mph and the voltage is hovering between 234-237V is that because of the pigtail?
When I was doing UMC at 32 amps it used to be 240V.
Pigtail plug is warm but all good no overheating.

Add some pics of my install..

I have 4 wires on my pigtail, mine is 50 amp and I have ~237-238v most of the time.

Attachments

• B61CC2E4-A3DD-415E-974B-3E53F745ADCA.png
    B61CC2E4-A3DD-415E-974B-3E53F745ADCA.png
    698.8 KB · Views: 65