Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Urban Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was wonder are urban chargers less harmful to the battery long term.
Or is it the same as a supercharger?

I know kWh are different.

I ask because there is a urban charger near me. Since there’s a chance I won’t be able to charge at home. I will have to either use one of those urban charger or ChargePoint as a daily source of charging for the most part. I can’t also use a few free level twice charges near me. However they cap you after two hours

Urbans are DC superchargers capped at 72kwh ..I wouldn’t worry too much .in general daily Supercharging..probably not the best but if that’s what you are working with just charge as needed and enjoy car

Don’t worry about, choose the easiest type of charging for yourself. The car does a good job at protecting the battery no matter what kind of charging you use.

Why won’t you be able to charge at home?

I’ve heard you can’t use superchargers as a daily charge.
Something about messing up the battery long term.

I’m having issues with my Nema 10-30 dryer plug in my garage. I plug in and it charges normally but than after 10 mins it slow goes down to about 10 miles per hour or so. Than the UMC is really hot and I get some message about it being too hot

I would work on fixing your home charging. You either have a defective UMC or your dryer receptacle has problems. Chances are, your receptacle’s wiring behind the faceplate isn’t properly tightened down or the receptacle itself is worn. If you’re handy, I would flip off the breaker for the dryer and unscrew the faceplate and then receptacle and inspect the wiring. Or you can call an electrician.

I would work on fixing your home charging. You either have a defective UMC or your dryer receptacle has problems. Chances are, your receptacle’s wiring behind the faceplate isn’t properly tightened down or the receptacle itself is worn. If you’re handy, I would flip off the breaker for the dryer and unscrew the faceplate and then receptacle and inspect the wiring. Or you can call an electrician.

Sadly I rent a home

I’m hoping it’s just the receptacle that needs to be replaced. Not really that handy at least not enough to do something like that.

have u tried setting to 16a in the car ? Maybe lower setting won’t run as hot

Yeah I’ve thought about it doing 15a than go from there. How much miles would I get per hour if I do the 16a?

It’s something I will have to try tomorrow night.

I’m really hoping by dailing it down it’ll give me a better mph than the 3 I am currently getting now.

Yeah I’ve thought about it doing 15a than go from there. How much miles would I get per hour if I do the 16a?

It’s something I will have to try tomorrow night.

I’m really hoping by dailing it down it’ll give me a better mph than the 3 I am currently getting now.

10-30 if working properly Is about 22miles/hr ..I’m thinking 16a will bring down to around ~15

10-30 if working properly Is about 22miles/hr ..I’m thinking 16a will bring down to around ~15
I’ll take that any day
My commute to work and back is around 15 miles.
When It’s my day off work we typically go places.
If it gives me 15 miles I’ll be happy with that. If I charge for 4 hours it’ll give me 60 miles. Which is awesome

I’ll have to try it tomorrow night

Reactions: P85_DA
I’ll take that any day
If it gives me 15 miles I’ll be happy with that. If I charge for 4 hours it’ll give me 60 miles. Which is awesome

i would still get your MC checked out..I just realized you said car brought down to 3mph ..so the Mc is sensing something in the power ..as other poster mentioned could be the plug or the MC has issues ..

I’ll take that any day

You can get 60 miles plugged in overnight from a 120V outlet too. Should be plenty if you only commute 15.

You should still get the receptacle checked out. Honestly, unscrewing it from the wall isn’t rocket science.

Here’s a video showing a guy taking off the cover plate and replacing his dryer receptacle. It isn’t a great video (honestly, doesn’t anyone know how to edit?), so,let me know if you’d like me to whip up a better video showing how to inspect and probably replace a 10-30 outlet. Like this guy, your receptacle is probably worn and should just be replaced. Maybe tell your landlord that your dryer cord is getting hot and the receptacle needs replacing if you don’t want to do it yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
i was wonder are urban chargers less harmful to the battery long term.
Or is it the same as a supercharger?
Urbans are DC superchargers capped at 72kW
They are the same charging cabinets, but they force a half and half split, so each side will have 72kW available. They did these mainly just to not piss off owners. When stations are going to be mostly full a lot, there would be a lot of pairing and some people getting frustrated getting stuck at low rates like 30kW, waiting for the primary car that is sucking most of the juice to get gone. So by giving everyone a pretty good solid 72kW it makes everyone mostly satisfied and no one angry.

• Informative
Sadly I rent a home

I’m hoping it’s just the receptacle that needs to be replaced. Not really that handy at least not enough to do something like that.

If you are not comfortable fixing it yourself, I would notify your landlord that they have an electrical problem which may result in a fire, and have him address it.

In my experience a good landlord would want to know, and have it fixed ASAP. Especially something that is a less than $50 fix.

Based on your description about the UMC itself being really hot (burning hot I assume) though, I would also not rule out some sort of problem there.

Figure out what is wrong, then fix it (or have it fixed).

Whatever it is, it is a fire hazard.

• Informative
I’ve heard you can’t use superchargers as a daily charge.
Something about messing up the battery long term.

I’m having issues with my Nema 10-30 dryer plug in my garage. I plug in and it charges normally but than after 10 mins it slow goes down to about 10 miles per hour or so. Than the UMC is really hot and I get some message about it being too hot

Here you go. Easy and cheap to replace your dryer plug, step by step instructions.

I just purchased the outlet from my local Home Depot. I will install it on Saturday. I’m hoping it just needed a new outlet. The old one look very worn

Great! There is a very high likelihood that this will fully resolve your issue and be safe and give you a solid home charging solution. Most people will be perfectly fine charging at 24 amps of 240v nightly.

Make sure that on the new receptacle that the wire is fully engaged in the terminals and that no insulation is pinched when you tighten them down. This has been the cause of multiple melted receptacles folks in the forums have posted.

The other thing to check would be to make sure the terminals are tightened down appropriately at the circuit breaker end, but that would require removing the breaker panel cover and you should turn off the power while working in there. :) (but I won’t say I have never just turned off a breaker and tightened its terminals with the panel still hot).