Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usable 15” screen in 3Y vs S…hmmm 🤔

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Destiny1701

22’ M3LR ‘DrkNite’/ 22’ MYP BliueRocket
Nov 28, 2015
Canada
New to Model 3…veteran Model SX owner :)
first let me say it’s a sheer pleasure to drive a 3 after having driven an S for 5 years. While S was smoother in suspension, more trunks space, the handling of the 3 hands down trumps it.

Not sure this has been discussed before…
How about reducing the size of the left screen for odometer, AP\FSD road, the pic of our car etc and provide more of the screen for actual navigation, music ?

I came from a model S and one thing I didn’t quite absorb is that while the fundamental diff on screen size 17” to 15” isnt much, the actual functional map, music, car settings screens etc are literally half! The odometer screen fills 1/3 to 40% of the 15” screen which in my opinion is a colossal waste.

Has anyone noticed this? The new MS LR coming out now makes this even more noticeable with the entire 17” horizontal screen avail making the usable screen space almost half that of the S.

Is Tesla working on any updates to allow for the APilot/FSD portion of the screen to either ‘disappear’ (except the actual speed), reduce the width of it to perhaps 2-3” rather than 6” of the 15? or is this something they would never do?

Just something I’m finding harder to get used to given I’m used to the full vertical 17” Navi screen or even half a screen with music apps avail. I went in thinking ‘15 vs 17’…that’s not so bad! Lol

I have a Y LR on order as well but the wife is now saying maybe we get a used MS. She is also finding the usable screen interesting. She does however like parking the 3 while our running errands…smaller size easier for her.

Take a look at the UI review of one of then delivered Plaids. They have movable windows for the various functions which sounds. like you will appreciate. I personally can't wait for that UI to make it to the 3/Y.

Yep saw that. Somehow I don’t think it will make it here. T is going out of their way to try to differentiate costs diff between SX and 3Y. If they keep bringing functions down, the justification for the S keeps diminishing. Other than range and power lol.

The S/X interior screens have been around for a while now. The 3/Y I feel offers a more refreshed view. I really enjoy how much lower the dash is on the single screen over the two. Sure, a bigger screen in the 3/Y would be a welcome but I understand there needed to be compromises. Yes, it would be nice to offer an option of how much white screen is used for the instrumentation cluster however from the FSD beta videos, they are using more of the left screen. I do like the latest update that offers you to see to the left your Nav data while the right part of the screen is being used for audio or other functions.

OP, you mention "Not sure if this has been discussed before", but your post boils down to "i am unhappy with the UI" which has been a talking point since last december, when the "Christmas UI" was released.

For me I haven’t really researched as much into the 3 thread as much as the S until about a month ago when I placed my order. So I actually hadn’t seen any threads relating to this.
Its not unhappy…it’s ‘adapting’ to something I hadn’t imagined in my head that’s all :)
In the end I am hoping for more user customization I guess? Really it’s just re allocation of valuable screen space to that which matters rather than a toy car pic lol.

Not sure this has been discussed before…
How about reducing the size of the left screen for odometer, AP\FSD road, the pic of our car etc and provide more of the screen for actual navigation, music ?

Yes, discussed in multiple threads that were merged into Software update 2020.48.26.x update, font size problems

In brief, the Dec. holiday update added a little info like supercharger status, made the left side (on LHD cars) large and the fonts small, moved the safety warning icons behind the driver's hand on the steering wheel, and enabled fart sounds from the outside speaker. The rear view and sentry view are much smaller. Lots of unhappy drivers, esp. those with imperfect vision. Elon promised a configurable UI. Some owners are deferring s/w updates until then.