Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usage app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to see how much electricity you use when youre charging your car?

And the cost?

I wanted to separate the car charging usage from regular home usage so I can get an idea on what my cost is for charging the car so I can pay my fair share of the electric bill when it comes.

Thanks

Yes, you can install a watt-hour meter in the circuit wiring to your Tesla Wall Connector or other charging connection.

Be sure that the meter you select is rated for the maximum charging current of 60 or 80 amps and suited to the voltage you are using 120 or 240.
I am planning to buy a basic digital watt-hour meter EKM-25IDS on line from EKM Metering Inc. This meter sells for $90.00. You can buy more expensive models that provide cloud access and storage memory in addition to reset capability.

120/240 Volt Pass-Through kWh Meter, 3-wire (2 hots, 1 neutral), 100A, | EKM Metering Inc.

The meter should only be installed by a licensed electrician, preferably when you have your wall connector installed. If you are not using a Tesla or other wall connector, but are instead plugging directly into a NEMA rated receptacle, then the meter would be installed in the wiring between the circuit breaker and the actual dedicated receptacle.

There are many other watt-hour meters available, some portable and less expensive, but NONE that I have found are capable of metering the 60-100 amp current required for fast charging. Generally these other meters are intended to measure watt hour use for an individual home appliance such as a refrigerator where you just plug the appliance into the meter and the meter into the wall receptical.

How is the product? I've seen it on my Facebook feed for a few years.

What do you like/dislike about it?
Too early to tell. It has a slow learning process as it identifies devices. From what I can see I suspect it is a great product, but in the early stages so perfection isn't expected. Seeing my total usage and some of the breakdown in real time or by minute/day is pretty handy. I think I will need another month to say just how smart it is at finding devices. So far it has found my garage door, AC, microwave, vacuum, and a few others. One thing I'm noticing is that it does spell out the "always on" vampire drain which is probably one of the places you can save the most money.

It gets pretty darn close...... it's able to calculate charge efficiency from the Tesla API data.
That takes the charging efficiency into account, but does not consider the losses upstream of the charger (which is in the car) of the EVSE, wiring and connections. While these losses are not large, they are also NOT zero. I am seeing around 10% additional loss for this.

Teslafi is $50 per year.

I wasn’t looking for an exact stat.

There isn’t anything in any of the apps that tell you how long the car has been charging and from what percent to what and about how much electricity it took to charge for that period?

I don't know about your local electric company, but here with SCE I could see my electricity usage everyday hour by hour. So I could establish a baseline for night time usage by not charging the car. Then whatever is on top after the car is plugged goes into my car. It is not very accurate, but better than nothing.