Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rebooting does not solve the issue. It has existed for well over a year now, and rebooting is one of the first things everybody tries.
Well I'm talking about the latest rash that happened immediately after the recent updates. Some were able to get the error to clear (at least temporarily) with a reboot, plus their devices worked anyways regardless of the error. Plenty of people didn't try a reboot as their first thing, but rather went to try replacing devices. Obviously there are other different cases that have nothing to do with the recent update.
just got this alert, not sure what it means

I've been using a Micro SD card reader with great success for about a year now...until 2021.32.22. Same error message. I've always formatted FAT32 in the past, but after the error I've completely cleaned the MBR, re-partitioned and tried exFAT. Rebooted 3 or 4 times as well to no avail.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
Am I correct that the system formats the card with exFat, but does not include the TeslaCam Folder? Still have to remove it from the car and use a computer to drop in the folder?
The car's system does format the drive but the format process does not create the TeslaCam folder. That folder and its sub folders (SavedClips, RecentClips, etc) are created when the car first writes to the USB drive.

It may or may not be related, but today my 12V battery started throwing all the warnings, so I had mobile service come and swap it out (which turns out to be the cheapest replacement method). The new battery seems to have cleared up the USB device warnings as well. Could be coincidence, or result of technician clearing all error messages. Any chance the USB device warnings might be an early signs of a bad 12V battery?

Tesla has told multiple people that it's a firmware bug, so that seems unlikely. Especially given that the error happens while driving, when the DC-DC converter would be powering the cabin components rather than the 12v battery alone.

What's your source for "Tesla has told multiple people that it's a firmware bug"

👋 Hi. I'm one of the people. They told me directly that they've told multiple people it's a firmware bug. They even came out and replaced my center console when I pushed back. It made no difference.

Just like the reverse camera bugs that took them two years to fix, or the new ones that crop up from time to time.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
👋 Hi. I'm one of the people. They told me directly that they've told multiple people it's a firmware bug. They even came out and replaced my center console when I pushed back. It made no difference.

Just like the reverse camera bugs that took them two years to fix, or the new ones that crop up from time to time.
Who is "They"? I've heard lots of things from Tesla Service folks that later turned out to be just an well-meaning, educated assumption about what's causing an issue.. Until someone from a headquarters Software team member says it's a firmware bug, I'd take it as an opinion not fact. With a Tesla when an issue isn't easy to solve, folks are quick to blame it on bugs. Besides if it's a bug, shouldn't there be thousands of people reporting the problem? We all have the same software.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
Well as soon as you get someone from HQ on a support call with you, I'll be very happy to hear about it. Otherwise, the service manager at my local service center showed me the reference in their customer support system. So if you're going to tell me I'm a liar, along with all the other people in this thread that have been told the same thing, just get it out of the way now.

With a Tesla when an issue isn't easy to solve, folks are quick to blame it on bugs.

Let's pretend I've owned my Tesla for more than a week.

Besides if it's a bug, shouldn't there be thousands of people reporting the problem?

Maybe. When the TeslaCam was failing to power cameras properly and we were getting green or blotted out recordings, there weren't thousands of people complaining about it. But it was still a firmware bug that tool Tesla at least a year to fix.

Having issues with a 256gb sandisk high endurance micro SD card. Tried two usb converters both give error:

UI_a111 "dashcam usb drive not plugged into glovebox"​

However it still appears to record dash cam footage. Tesla provided USB stick works fine.

I had gotten the error message for a few days. Then the dash cam icon went away completely, so no more dash cam. Finally I went ahead and ordered a new 1 TB drive maybe 2 weeks ago and installed it, formatting the drive and putting the correctly labeled folder inside. No problems since.

Nothing special about the drive. It’s a 1 TB Chinese drive I ordered from Amazon. The company is Juyukeji. I formatted by plugging it into my 10 year old iMac and following the prompts from the disk utility for exFat. Don’t forget to create a folder and name it ‘TeslaCam’.

Last edited:
Nothing special about the drive. It’s a 1 TB Chinese drive I ordered from Amazon. The company is Juyukeji. I formatted by plugging it into my 10 year old iMac and following the prompts from the disk utility for exFat. Don’t forget to create a folder and name it ‘TeslaCam’.
Note most of these no-name drives don't actually have the reported capacity, They use a much smaller chip and fake the capacity in the firmware. It just keeps overwriting older data (which will give corrupt files when you try to play them). There multiple tools available for Windows to check such USB drives, but not sure about Mac.
5 Tools to Test and Detect Fake or Counterfeit USB Flash Drives
This is the only one I found for Mac (which does not appear to have a quick option):
GitHub - vrunkel/F3XSwift: macOS GUI to the f3 - Fight Flash Fraud - tool and based on F3X

Note most of these no-name drives don't actually have the reported capacity, They use a much smaller chip and fake the capacity in the firmware. It just keeps overwriting older data (which will give corrupt files when you try to play them). There multiple tools available for Windows to check such USB drives, but not sure about Mac.
5 Tools to Test and Detect Fake or Counterfeit USB Flash Drives
This is the only one I found for Mac (which does not appear to have a quick option):
GitHub - vrunkel/F3XSwift: macOS GUI to the f3 - Fight Flash Fraud - tool and based on F3X
It’s 1 TB, trust. Not my first rodeo. The last ‘no name’ drive I used was problem free for the last 3 years despite every day, fast write demand.

I've been having major problems with USB Device Malfunction errors with multiple USB drives (as I've posted in other threads.) I decided to purchase the $40 Tesla USB drive to see if it would fix the problem.

I plugged it into car and it started working immediately. Three hours later it stopped working--camera icon disappeared. Two reboots didn't help.

So now my USB device problems have occurred across 4 brand new USB drives all of which are recommended in Owner's Manual plus the Tesla drive.

Just another data point in case some of you were considering buying the Tesla drive to fix their problem.

Reactions: Trekboy
USB errors have gotten worse for me with recent builds. USB music playback used to resume automatically most of the time if Sentry Mode was active, now it doesn’t resume most of the time. I occasionally have to remove and reinsert the music USB to get the car to recognize it. The dashcam USB is always recognized, though I occasionally get alerts that some footage wasn’t saved because the write speed is too slow (it’s not). I also get USB device malfunction errors even when both USBs are working.

USB errors have gotten worse for me with recent builds. USB music playback used to resume automatically most of the time if Sentry Mode was active, now it doesn’t resume most of the time. I occasionally have to remove and reinsert the music USB to get the car to recognize it. The dashcam USB is always recognized, though I occasionally get alerts that some footage wasn’t saved because the write speed is too slow (it’s not). I also get USB device malfunction errors even when both USBs are working.
How old is your car and what model? I'm collecting data for my upcoming service appointment.