Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 12v battery replaced. It was over 3 years old. The problem seems worse now. Usually I get the error as soon as I open the door and the car wakes up. Sometimes it stays persistent on the screen the whole drive though the dashcam still works fine. Other times, it will happen repeatedly with the drive ejecting and then reconnecting every few minutes.

Update for me. Warning popped up with only the OEM charge pad plugged into USB C plug. Unplugged pad and warning stayed on screen until reset.
made appointment at service center and then they changed appointment over to mobile service. Will report back but have a feeling they will get the drive back online and then call it good. Although I was very specific about what is happening I feel like they are just randomly saying stuff to make me go away.

If they don’t fix the root cause, they need to at minimum remove the beep every time the alert comes up. This issue sometimes recurs several times in a minute and hearing several beeps as you’re driving along is MUCH more annoying than say a “check engine” light ever was!

• Love
Reactions: lemketron
I decided to try using the MCU to re-format my SSD and althought it might be a cooncidence.... the errors seem to have gone away.

What I noticed is the SSD name has changed, its set to some Tesla default now (I will check what it is, dont recall right now and rarely drive recently).

The TeslaCam folder is still there, exFat file system appears vanilla enough vs what GuiFormat, Rufus, Win10 can create.

What I did loose is my separate Music partition, so careful (!) reformatting using the MCU inside the car if you have multiple partitions... the reformat doesnt obay the partition table to only affect your TeslaCam partition, but simply purges the whole physical drive and creates one giant exFat partition.

• Informative
Reactions: J1mbo and mrau
Update for me. Warning popped up with only the OEM charge pad plugged into USB C plug. Unplugged pad and warning stayed on screen until reset.
made appointment at service center and then they changed appointment over to mobile service. Will report back but have a feeling they will get the drive back online and then call it good. Although I was very specific about what is happening I feel like they are just randomly saying stuff to make me go away.
Mobile service came out and ended up changing the USB Hub (Part number FRONT(1522264-00-B). Next day warning popped up again and turned camera icon off. Had to unplug drive and plug back in. warnings have decreased to once a week but camera icon disappears several times a week and stays gone until either drive is unplugged and then plugged back in or it seems to come back on its own after sitting all night.
Another thing I have noticed is that although I know USB devices become warm when plugged into anything, the USB in these seem to be especially warm.
I do think now it is a software issue that is creating a problem with the hub and that taking it in is kind of a waste of time. Hopefully someday the problem will get so bad that they decide to address it. I don't think they have seen it enough to care right now.

Reactions: lemketron
I've had this issue extremely sporadically. For some reason it has just gone away for the last two months. When it was happening I wasn't getting much luck from the service team as it was so damn sporadic
About ~6mo. ago this would happen every single time I got into the car and often a few time during a drive. After maybe 2 mo. of that, it began to only happen every few weeks.

For some reason it hasn't happened at all the last few months and I have no idea why since I haven't changed anything on my end. I have had a few SW updates during the time and they did not coincide directly with the difference in frequency of this happening, so it wasn't obvious how, or which updates, helped improve this issue.

For reference, I have a 2018 M3 LR RWD and use a 4 in 1 adapter that plugs into my phone from amazon, now unavailable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V7V4QJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB MicroSD card (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Reactions: danstah
Started after I updated to 2021.24.4. Never a problem before.
need update Tesla.
CA8553E4-AA4A-45A0-B238-C67FF9E4DD44.jpeg

Using SD/microSD card reader. Receiving the dreaded errors below. Option for MCU to Format USB unavailable.
  • UI_a134 USB drive has no filesystem. Drive will not mount and should be unplugged.
  • UI_a112 USB device malfunction - Center console port. Unplug device from USB port.

Tried to substitute with a flash drive, and there's no TeslaCam (icon isn't available). Which is odd because in Safety & Security > Format USB is available. The flash drive is named "TESLADRIVE" and formatted as ExFAT. (However, it's missing the folder "TeslaCam". Will try to create folder and hope it works.)

2021.32.22 installed 25-September-2021

Last edited:
Using SD/microSD card reader. Receiving the dreaded errors below. Option for MCU to Format USB unavailable.
  • UI_a134 USB drive has no filesystem. Drive will not mount and should be unplugged.
  • UI_a112 USB device malfunction - Center console port. Unplug device from USB port.

Tried to substitute with a flash drive, and there's no TeslaCam (icon isn't available). Which is odd because in Safety & Security > Format USB is available. The flash drive is named "TESLADRIVE" and formatted as ExFAT. (However, it's missing the folder "TeslaCam". Will try to create folder and hope it works.)

It's working again using a USB stick. Format as ExFat; containing "TeslaCam" folder.

Wonder if the latest version (inadvertently) blocks hubs and card readers...?

It's working again using a USB stick. Format as ExFat; containing "TeslaCam" folder.

Some people in the other thread say a reboot clears the USB error. I think everyone the experiences errors after an update should reboot first before trying other things.

How are you able to see the UI_a134 and UI_a112 portions of the error messages?

How are you able to see the UI_a134 and UI_a112 portions of the error messages?
I’ve gotten this same “Alert” also after updating to 2021.32.22. I’ve tried reformatting and rebooting and still getting the same error. It seems to still function but still has the alert. I’ve seen others mentioning about it as a firmware issue so hopefully Tesla addresses this with the next update. Just sharing that you are not alone. :)

Neither hubs nor card readers are blocked. It simply uses Linux's USB storage system, and all of those end up being transparent to the code that's responsible for mounting, formatting, or writing video to the USB device.

Some people in the other thread say a reboot clears the USB error. I think everyone the experiences errors after an update should reboot first before trying other things.

Rebooting does not solve the issue. It has existed for well over a year now, and rebooting is one of the first things everybody tries.