TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

USB Drive not accessible via dashcam

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by aspec818, Oct 24, 2019.

1. aspec818

aspec818 Member

I’ve been getting this error lately using my sandisk usb. “usb drive is not accessible via dashcam- reformat the drive to a supported format”. The sandisk has been working perfectly ever since I got the car months ago. But lately I got the repeated error. I reformatted it and it worked for a few days and then the error is back. Wondering if this has something to do with v10.

2. Wennfred

Wennfred Supporting Member

Try another one, these Sandisk go bad as they heat up.

Fred

3. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member

What are you using to format the drive?

4. aspec818

aspec818 Member

Used the Fat32 formatter utility from Ridgecrop Consultants. This has worked fine for months. Just these past two weeks I'm getting a format error after a few days of usage. Also have the usb drive on a splitter with my Nomad wireless charger.

Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

5. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member

Just in case it helps....

See my post here:

Model 3 dash cam and sentry setup help

The ridgecrop format wasn't working at all with my sandisk.

But this program did the trick:

https://www.rmprepusb.com/documents/rmprepusb-beta-versions

Worth a try?

6. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

Did you try rebooting the car? I got that message the other day and nothing would work formatting wise. It was a Samsung T5 500GB. I rebooted the car and it started working again.

• Informative x 1
  7. aspec818

aspec818 Member

Gave both of these a shot. After reformatting and restarting, it recognizes it. Let's see if the error pops up again.

• Like x 1
  8. xdcthedoc

xdcthedoc Member

Nice one. Keep us posted if it works.

Though now we won't know which intervention did the trick! o_O

9. aspec818

aspec818 Member

The error is back after a couple days of working fine. I think I may need to look for a new usb drive to see if it works.

10. jordanair45

jordanair45 2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD

This worked for me !

I was getting the same error on a new ssd install and I reformatted it twice. Wouldn’t read.

A quick car reboot (press and hold down both steering wheel buttons down at the same time ) did the trick.

thank you !

• Like x 1
  11. Mashina

Mashina Member

I'm sick and tired of swapping USB cards and following instructions here and there, since nothing works ( permanently).
    I have contacted CS and made appointment in Tesla Service Center, but they where not able to help. This should be Tesla issue and not the USB card issue. Tesla should recommend a card and prove that it works.
    The last thing I did was buying the "SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader" and used it together with "
    SanDisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC Card".
    It worked only for a week. I see the "triangle with exclamation sing in it" next to "sentry mode logo" next to " dashcam logo" which has a grey x in it.
    A reboot should not be an acceptable solution to the issue same as a "Reboot" solution to my PC issue as recommended by the oversea CS rep of DELL!

12. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

Can you access the content of your SD card with your computer or Smartphone?

13. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

if you have issues with intermittent non recognition of the sentrycam card, just try replugging it back into the usb port.

i run sandisk high endurance microsd and never had an error that required formatting. only a few times needed to reseat in usb slot

• Like x 1
  14. sduck

sduck Mr. Duck

Necrobump an old thread to complain about something that's been discussed over an over ad nauseam, not to mention is covered in the owner's manual? Really, read the manual. They recommend some drives to use.