Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Music - cover art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my car it only re-catalogs the usb drive when I first insert it. It resumes without re-indexing over power cycles thereafter, until I pull it and shuffle things around on the drive again. Maybe that's a benefit of using ext4 for formatting? Or just a fast drive?
It never re-indexed when I was still on a thumb drive. Like you, the only time is re-indexes is when I pull it out for whatever reason.

Reactions: sduck
On my car it only re-catalogs the usb drive when I first insert it. It resumes without re-indexing over power cycles thereafter, until I pull it and shuffle things around on the drive again. Maybe that's a benefit of using ext4 for formatting? Or just a fast drive?
Time to eat a little crow: I rebuilt my dashcam/FLAC music hard drive (yes, spinning 80gb 1.8" HDD) last night, giving it a good full wipe and media refresh, repartitioning and reloading, after 2 years of constant writing abuse... and I actually got to see truly how long indexing takes. It took around a full solid minute!

So yeah, it definitely caches its results to eMMC. That seems ... 🤔 Inappropriate. Why not cache back to the device? Hell, macOS just silently writes hundreds of metadata files (one companion file for every file on the drive) to any drive that's inserted. Folks are okay with that. I'm okay with catalog metadata being written back to the drive.

I wouldn't expect any data like this to be cached inside the car's internal storage. I mean, I turn on all the data collection/stats options, so I'm not oof on privacy... But it just seems like a weird place to put it!

Try having 12,000+ songs on your drive and see how long it takes. Much more than a single minute.

I have around 10k. Can confirm, but from memory less than 2 minutes. Although I'm running on an old SSD from a long gone PC which likely has much better read rates than most USB drives. That said I've no idea if the car actually takes advantage of it.

I have around 10k. Can confirm, but from memory less than 2 minutes. Although I'm running on an old SSD from a long gone PC which likely has much better read rates than most USB drives. That said I've no idea if the car actually takes advantage of it.
I'm sure that's about right. It just SEEMS like hours

(Actually, its the one time I listen to the radio)

🤔🤔🤔
Mid 2018 Model 3 here... Maybe I just don't remember it, but when did USB media ever show album art in a scrollable list? I always remember it being awful and wishing it'd present USB media similarly to how extravagantly it shows Spotify and other media :)

But maybe I've just forgotten the good ol days...
I’m TOO old. My memory hazy, was definitely there on S for ages. I thought also on 3 until one of the UI updates, but maybe not.

I’m TOO old. My memory hazy, was definitely there on S for ages. I thought also on 3 until one of the UI updates, but maybe not.

I have an early 2018 Model 3, and I remember it showing the art next to the track details when a song was playing.
I spent a lot of time making sure I got audio files on my USB that included album art, but now that was a wasted effort because they all just show a musical note now where the art is supposed to show.

NoteInsteadOfArt.png

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time making sure I got audio files on my USB that included album art, but now that was a wasted effort...
Hopefully it was not a wasted effort and we will get this functionality back soon. I'm an optimist and say it will return, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something (just ask my wife).

Streaming music shows because the art is fetched each time it fetches a track. It is never stored.

what people refuse to understand is this: Tesla did not disable the DISPLAY of album art… they disabled the STORAGE of album art with index on EMMC and did not bother to modify the crap shareware they adopted sometime before 2012 to fetch from USB drive at each play. So, it tries to fetch from index, and displays the gray box when it finds nothing. IMO because it’s not their code and probably not long term component, they don’t want to touch it.

And, I’m betting they will not fix, which allows me to listen stress free and be pleasantly surprised if they ever do.

join me. Listen to a great track and keep your eyes on the road. And repeat this mantra: “it’s all about the music”.