Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB no longer adequate after update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jbiggs2

Mar 19, 2020
OK
After the most recent update I'm getting an exclamation point at the top of my UI. When I touch it it says my USB needs to be capable of greater than 4 MB per second to record from cameras. I bought the USB Tesla recommended so I'm not sure what is going on. Hopefully a new update will fix that. Anyone else seeing this?

After the most recent update I'm getting an exclamation point at the top of my UI. When I touch it it says my USB needs to be capable of greater than 4 MB per second to record from cameras. I bought the USB Tesla recommended so I'm not sure what is going on. Hopefully a new update will fix that. Anyone else seeing this?

Where did Tesla recommend a specific USB drive?

Cheap drives that aren't made for continuous writing will die. At best you need a ssd. At worst, a sdcard rated for extreme service.

Performance of a solid state storage device can change over time. Perhaps your USB drive is experiencing error limiting is speed. I would replace it with a small SSD, rather than hope that it starts working again.

Performance of a solid state storage device can change over time. Perhaps your USB drive is experiencing error limiting is speed. I would replace it with a small SSD, rather than hope that it starts working again.
This is the usb Drive a bought a month ago that no longer works. Which ssd card do you recommend? I’m not very tech savvy and want to get the right one;)

Attachments

• 8D943979-6989-4A9D-8DA6-0495128E3D62.jpeg
    8D943979-6989-4A9D-8DA6-0495128E3D62.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered your recommendation from Amazon. Can I just format it directly from the car?
I would assume so. To be honest, it's just been plugged into my car and working continually for the last year. Which was before you could format in the car ;-}

I did use my hot glue gun to secure the cable to the drive. It seemed like the easiest to unplug thing, and I don't want the drive coming unplugged accidentally.

• Informative
Reactions: Noel1987
Where did Tesla recommend a specific USB drive?
On page 82 of the owners manual:
Although not a comprehensive list, Tesla has tested the following flash drives and confirmed that they meet the requirements for using Dashcam and Sentry Mode:
  • SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive

• Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive

Cheap drives that aren't made for continuous writing will die. At best you need a ssd. At worst, a sdcard rated for extreme service.
Lots of us have used a basic USB thumb drive with no issues. I use this one. The (absurdly short) list above does not include an SSD or SD Card - they are completely unnecessary.

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
FWIW I'm using these newer design, well regarded and tiny Samsung thumb drives. If going USB drive using a major brand like Sandisk or Samsung makes sense IMO. The Samsung hardly sticks out at all and may be less likely to be bumped or grabbed by a thief rummaging through the car.

The small size of the Samsung may be why it was tested by Tesla.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7Q41PM/

Last edited:
In my experience, the physically smaller the thumb drive is the quicker it dies in a high use environment. Which is a shame, but understandable.

The SSD I linked above, the Samsung T5 that people like, and the Samsung Fit Plus use 3D NAND Technology, which is good for 35,000 re-writes. Most consumer flash drives use TLC (Triple Layer Cells) which are only good for 5,000 re-writes.

Your USB thumb drive costs the same as the SSD I recommended.
Yeah, but it's (physically) larger. And I personally wouldn't trust buying any storage device off of Amazon - WAY too many counterfeit units out there.

Most consumer flash drives use TLC (Triple Layer Cells) which are only good for 5,000 re-writes.

Careful or you might invoke @Knightshade and all of his (logical and sound) arguments
why this is irrelevant.

• Funny
Reactions: AdamMacDon
Yeah, but it's (physically) larger. And I personally wouldn't trust buying any storage device off of Amazon - WAY too many counterfeit units out there.

Careful or you might invoke @Knightshade and all of his (logical and sound) arguments
why this is irrelevant.
I think the most important thing is, no matter what storage you're using, make sure you glance at the screen and see that the car is recording. I usually try to remember to look at the beginning of a drive. Any storage device can fail. Or get accidentally disconnected from rummaging in the center console. The important thing is noticing when it does stop recording so you can fix or at least be aware of the situation.