Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought and was using some USB sticks, they worked well, I was able to upload some videos. Both USBs stopped working. When plugged into the car there is a warning saying something like they have to be updated or reformatted. I can see clips on my PC but cant erase them, it is somehow write protected. I can't reformat, it says some other process is using the things or else that they are write protected. I am unable to delete files from folders in case the things are full.

What gives?
Any advice?
And solutions?

I bought and was using some USB sticks, they worked well, I was able to upload some videos. Both USBs stopped working. When plugged into the car there is a warning saying something like they have to be updated or reformatted. I can see clips on my PC but cant erase them, it is somehow write protected. I can't reformat, it says some other process is using the things or else that they are write protected. I am unable to delete files from folders in case the things are full.

What gives?
Any advice?
And solutions?
Yes first you need to format these memory sticks to Fat32 then you need to create a File called TeslaCam just how you see it, capital T and Capital C.

The Music Card, just format it to Fat32 and move the files over, I believe they must be m4a files or mp4, double check each type before moving all of your music files over. It’s been a while since I’ve moved music files.

Look for online a Fat32 format tool, there is one if you google called Verbatim, it works well. Link provided below:

Search

Fred

Last edited:
It seems like I am suggesting the obvious here, but did you inadvertently flip a write protect switch on your drive? And while I think that is your primary problem, I did try using a suggested format program that gave the "some other process is using the drive" message (even though the drive was freshly inserted. I switched to a different format program and had no trouble at all.

Yes first you need to format these memory sticks to Fat32 then you need to create a File called TeslaCam just how you see it, capital T and Capital C.

The Music Card, just format it to Fat32 and move the files over, I believe they must be m4a files or mp4, double check each type before moving all of your music files over. It’s been a while since I’ve moved music files.

Look for online a Fat32 format tool, there is one if you google called Verbatim, it works well. Link provided below:

Search

Fred

Perhaps I was not clear, I had both of my identical USB drives functioning well previously, and they are Fat32 formated

It seems like I am suggesting the obvious here, but did you inadvertently flip a write protect switch on your drive? And while I think that is your primary problem, I did try using a suggested format program that gave the "some other process is using the drive" message (even though the drive was freshly inserted. I switched to a different format program and had no trouble at all.

I do not see a switch on either drive.
I am not good with format programs but tried one this am, will look for more.

So I used the Verbatim link above and it seemed to format the USB again. All files still exist and are read only. When I go into file settings to change off of read only it wont allow it. Perhaps I need to try some different USBs