TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Use existing plates for new Tesla?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by BlueWRXPride, May 21, 2018.

1. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

I recently sold my car in anticipation of my Tesla coming in July (based on the emails that went out yesterday). Here in NY, the current plates are an ugly yellow/orange, but the plates from the car is sold are the old version of blue and white. Since I'm getting a red M3, I feel like the old plates will look MUCH better on the car than the current design. Does anyone know if I can bring my own plates with me to the delivery and have Tesla use those plates?

2. Reid

Reid Member

License plates are a state by state issue so you might want to update your title to help attract NYers.

3. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

Doesn't seem I can edit the post or title. Perhaps I don't have enough posts to have that permission?

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Just call your local tag office up, they will indeed know the answer to the question. Are heck, just check their website, I'm pretty sure that you aren't the first one to ask the question, nor is it specific to the Tesla.
    In some states, the tag goes with the car, in others they stay with the owner. And this is complicated by vanity plates which often stay with the owner, not matter what.

5. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

Yeah I could try that. I figured the answer might be Tesla specific, since they don't follow the traditional dealership model, I thought there might be unique circumstances. I can always just call them to check.

6. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I don't think that there is, nor will ever be, a company that can tell the DMV how to operate!;)

7. HopeToGolf

HopeToGolf Member

In NJ, the plates can be transferred to the new car. In fact, I told Tesla I would be doing so. What I do not know is if I will put the new plate on the new car at Tesla. I may end up using the temp plate on the trip home.

8. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

I just figured I could give the Mt. Kisco location a call, as that's where I'll be picking it up. They said as long as the name and address on the registration for my old car/plates matches the name and registration for the new car, bringing my own plates is no problem.