Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use existing plates for new Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently sold my car in anticipation of my Tesla coming in July (based on the emails that went out yesterday). Here in NY, the current plates are an ugly yellow/orange, but the plates from the car is sold are the old version of blue and white. Since I'm getting a red M3, I feel like the old plates will look MUCH better on the car than the current design. Does anyone know if I can bring my own plates with me to the delivery and have Tesla use those plates?

Just call your local tag office up, they will indeed know the answer to the question. Are heck, just check their website, I'm pretty sure that you aren't the first one to ask the question, nor is it specific to the Tesla.
In some states, the tag goes with the car, in others they stay with the owner. And this is complicated by vanity plates which often stay with the owner, not matter what.

I just figured I could give the Mt. Kisco location a call, as that's where I'll be picking it up. They said as long as the name and address on the registration for my old car/plates matches the name and registration for the new car, bringing my own plates is no problem.