Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2016 Model S 70D Reference: Is this a good price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am an admitted novice here, and I appreciate all of the inputs everyone provides on getting a Tesla. I would prefer to get a 2016 (or later, but not likely) Model S 75D. Right now I'm "window shopping" (for something I don't expect to be able to get until the end of the year at the earliest), and I came across this 2016 70D (original front end) from a used car dealer in Virginia. It's Titanium Metallic Grey, with Tan interior, next gen seats. 15,792 miles. I went to see it, it's in (what appears to be) very good shape, though the driver door wouldn't open from the outside (obviously a problem they were in touch with Tesla to get fixed). They're asking $47,268 for it.

Good price?

Thanks,

Todd

"THIS S70D ALL WHEEL DRIVE has less than 16,000 MILES**equipped with AUTOPILOT CONVENIENCE ($2500)**GLASS PANORAMIC ROOFR ($2000)**LANE KEEPING**SELF PARKING**LANE ASSIST & LANE DEPARTURE**OBSTICLE ASSIST**BACKUP CAMERA**BLIND SPOT MONITOR**NAVIGATION(**HEATED SEATS**1 OWNER**CARFAX CERTIFIED with BUYBACK GUARANTEE**elowNADA]Less than 16k Miles. All Wheel Drive!!!AWD!!! CARFAX 1 owner and buyback guarantee.. Lower price! Was $47,988 NOW $47,268.. SAVE AT THE PUMP!!! 102 MPG Hwy! Safety equipment includes: ABS, Traction control, Curtain airbags, Passenger Airbag, Knee airbags - Driver and passenger...Other features include: Navigation, Bluetooth, Power locks, Power windows, Heated seats..."

That price sounds about right for the listed specs. KBB Trade in value range for that car comes up as $41,247 - $47,084, and private party value is $46,756 - $53,415.

That driver door is probably a broken door handle (common problem) and a Tesla remote service tech should be able to come out and replace it.

The mileage is low, and that's attractive.

Based on what I paid for my 70d a month ago...41 300 from Tesla, same color combination, 35k miles, 4 years more of Tesla warranty, SR, AP, HIFI, plus everything else you have listed, seems very high. There's an 85d on ebay...same color, my favorite, that you may make a deal on for near what they are asking.
I don't put a whole lot of additional value on the lower miles but up to you.

Also a 75D '16 refresh, 45k miles for BIN 51k on ebay looking for offers. Same color but a solid roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceh8r and erik_k
Decent price point ..depends on what your budget is ..if you were going to wait till end of year ..I would do just that and hopefully facelift prices go down to that

QUOTE="TigerNinety, post: 3807253, member: 49580"]Hello all,

I am an admitted novice here, and I appreciate all of the inputs everyone provides on getting a Tesla. I would prefer to get a 2016 (or later, but not likely) Model S 75D. Right now I'm "window shopping" (for something I don't expect to be able to get until the end of the year at the earliest), and I came across this 2016 70D (original front end) from a used car dealer in Virginia. It's Titanium Metallic Grey, with Tan interior, next gen seats. 15,792 miles. I went to see it, it's in (what appears to be) very good shape, though the driver door wouldn't open from the outside (obviously a problem they were in touch with Tesla to get fixed). They're asking $47,268 for it.

Good price?

Thanks,

Todd

"THIS S70D ALL WHEEL DRIVE has less than 16,000 MILES**equipped with AUTOPILOT CONVENIENCE ($2500)**GLASS PANORAMIC ROOFR ($2000)**LANE KEEPING**SELF PARKING**LANE ASSIST & LANE DEPARTURE**OBSTICLE ASSIST**BACKUP CAMERA**BLIND SPOT MONITOR**NAVIGATION(**HEATED SEATS**1 OWNER**CARFAX CERTIFIED with BUYBACK GUARANTEE**elowNADA]Less than 16k Miles. All Wheel Drive!!!AWD!!! CARFAX 1 owner and buyback guarantee.. Lower price! Was $47,988 NOW $47,268.. SAVE AT THE PUMP!!! 102 MPG Hwy! Safety equipment includes: ABS, Traction control, Curtain airbags, Passenger Airbag, Knee airbags - Driver and passenger...Other features include: Navigation, Bluetooth, Power locks, Power windows, Heated seats..."[/QUOTE]

I’m going to say this is not a great deal. Just ordered a Model S from Tesla’s used inventory and it’s a facelift S75, white, grey next gen seats, premium upgrades package, ultra hi fidelity sound, and a 4 year warranty for $49,600 with 21,000 miles on it. While the one you’re looking at may be an okay deal, I have been seeing a lot better deals on Tesla itself recently, and that includes facelift models.

Hello all,

Good price?

Thanks,

Todd

"THIS S70D ALL WHEEL DRIVE has less than 16,000 MILES**equipped with AUTOPILOT CONVENIENCE ($2500)**GLASS PANORAMIC ROOFR ($2000)**LANE KEEPING**SELF PARKING**LANE ASSIST & LANE DEPARTURE**OBSTICLE ASSIST**BACKUP CAMERA**BLIND SPOT MONITOR**NAVIGATION(**HEATED SEATS**1 OWNER**CARFAX CERTIFIED with BUYBACK GUARANTEE**elowNADA]Less than 16k Miles. All Wheel Drive!!!AWD!!! CARFAX 1 owner and buyback guarantee.. Lower price! Was $47,988 NOW $47,268.. SAVE AT THE PUMP!!! 102 MPG Hwy! Safety equipment includes: ABS, Traction control, Curtain airbags, Passenger Airbag, Knee airbags - Driver and passenger...Other features include: Navigation, Bluetooth, Power locks, Power windows, Heated seats..."

I own a 2016 75 with new facelift. I read the description, I know this car does not come with blind spot monitoring like the version 2.0 or newer A?P this vehicle year only has the Ver. 1.0 Autopilot hardware So no blindspot cameras for this feature.

Well, I guess I'll be the first to say that I think that price is a little high. Depending when it was sold you have around a year left of warranty. Low miles is nice, but, to me it leaves things to wear out in a few years AFTER the warranty expires... I'd wait and get what you really want!

WOW! Thanks so much, these are really helpful responses. I'd mostly been looking on EV-CPO (but almost all the 2016-2017 Ds disappeared in the past couple months) and cars.com. I'm still a bit eBay leery for a car purchase (but good for pricing, I guess); I don't know where else to look. Everyone's thoughts on what the market is likely to be by the end of the year are very helpful.

Again, I appreciate all of the above and welcome any further suggestions on where to get educated on buying a used S (so I won't bother folks here too much).

Thanks!

Hello!

Thanks for posing the question. I'm still learning what all the different permutations of Model S are, but I've been relying on a webpage that gives Model S options by year, and I have felt like there are a number of options that were either available or became standard in 2016, relative to 2015. But, maybe I'm wrong!

Safety is always very important to me, so anytime one of Tesla's "smart" systems improves, I'm interested. But, I am not buying a Tesla so it can drive itself (my greatest desire on that front is TACC). So, as interesting as "Hardware 2.0" is (and it IS), I don't think it's essential for me.

So, maybe an earlier version would suit me, too. I'll keep looking (and please feel free to keep suggesting!).

Thanks,

Todd

Why aren't you considering a 85D from 2015 with AP1? Higher range, better car, and you can find it around 40k on a private sale.

I think the main differences between a 2014 and 2016 cars are the facelift and a few of the components are marginally better. If you don’t care for facelift, dual motors and range you want to consider any 2014 and 60 and higher model.
Prices should start falling fast as the raven refresh is already improving performance and once the interior and maybe exterior changes in the fall start showing up you will be driving a dated car and some people
Will want to upgrade to the latest and greatest.