Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2016 S vs. New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't buy the first model year of any car from any manufacturer.

Early adopters always pay the price in terms of missing out on improvements, price cuts, incentives, etc

Normally I would agree with you except in this case, 2/3's of the car is a Model 3. They are just putting a new back 1/3 on a Model 3 and calling it a Y. I really want to stay away from an ICE which has its own set of issues. So both options have their issue.

The one question that I get asked most is how long it takes to charge (charge gate) and how far can you drive (range gate)? Since that Tesla catching fire video Tesla has significantly nerfed charging rate and taken away range for some select few older vehicles without any kind of explanation. Personally for me now my Tesla is practically useless for any road trips and I would not purchase any Tesla again. I just don't have any trust in this company any more. I still love driving this car but will not spend any more on another one and will keep an open eye on newer EV's.
I read here often that Model 3 owners are the target millennials and Tesla would not want to upset that crowd so hopefully similar analogy can be applied to MY ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am not sure what you are talking about. I just took my 2016 90D on a road trip and everything has been the same since I got it. Were there certain models that had issues?

Reactions: b team
I am not sure what you are talking about. I just took my 2016 90D on a road trip and everything has been the same since I got it. Were there certain models that had issues?
I have very consistent routine and so my experience is based on set data points. I have a photo from July 29 2019 when my car used to peak charge at 122kw and than tapered down to ~90 kw. Now on similar SOC and same supercharging lot I get Max ~40-50kw. Tesla hasn't publicly clarified which models have nerfed charging and why but I am pretty sure it is related to recent battery fire incidents.

Normally I would agree with you except in this case, 2/3's of the car is a Model 3. They are just putting a new back 1/3 on a Model 3 and calling it a Y. I really want to stay away from an ICE which has its own set of issues. So both options have their issue.

Yeah, so?

A lot of the Model X was a Model S and that was a total disaster at launch. There is always that new 1/3 of car that needs at least 6 months until it's ironed out.

Considering all the service issues I wouldn't want an early model Tesla.

Yeah, so?

A lot of the Model X was a Model S and that was a total disaster at launch. There is always that new 1/3 of car that needs at least 6 months until it's ironed out.

That’s not a good analogy. There is a very radical difference between the S and X, the gull wing doors. That added huge complexities and repair issues to the X that the S just didn’t have. No such radical differences exist between the S and the Y.

Yeah, so?

Your assumption is that they learned nothing during production. The S and X volumes are rounding errors compared to the production of the 3. Literally the entire tech and power train will be identical in the Y. It is simply a different topper. This has been done for years by GM and Ford. Not a new idea at all. With that said, you are right in that first years can have exposure. There is a fairly radical difference btw between the S and X. The doors alone are a completely different animal. The doors are the main reason an X is not on our radar. Out of warranty, those seem like a nightmare.

Well made the final decision. We decided to put money down on the Y. At least we are in line for one. In the meantime, I will let thing flush out and hopefully get to drive one early next year with my wife. Then we will know if we made the right call. If that turns out to be an issue, we can always revert back to getting an S. Thanks for all of your input folks! Love the passion and info on these boards.

Well made the final decision. We decided to put money down on the Y. At least we are in line for one. In the meantime, I will let thing flush out and hopefully get to drive one early next year with my wife. Then we will know if we made the right call. If that turns out to be an issue, we can always revert back to getting an S. Thanks for all of your input folks! Love the passion and info on these boards.
I think it’s the best choice. Congrats!