Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2018 LR vs new 2019 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just have to ask the question, why do you believe that range is the most important? IS this your first EV?
Did you know that any Model 3 has a range from one coast to the other coast? If you wanted to go from Seattle to Key West, you could easily do it.

Sure, the extra 100 miles may mean a stop or so less on 500 mile trips, but how often do you do that?

I bought my Model 3 very shortly before I started thinking of moving here to Maui, where the SR would have been entirely adequate. I bought the LR because I wanted to be able to drive from Spokane, WA, to Revelstoke, BC, a trip I used to make every summer and which I desperately wanted to be able to do on electric rather than gas. The SR would not be able to make that drive. Yes, you can drive between any two major U.S. cities on the highways, but once you're off the highways, on secondary roads to obscure places, superchargers are few and far between. I made the trip to Revelstoke and back in the Model 3, only by adding an hour to my trip time to hit the supercharger in Kelowna, BC.

So for some folks, LR is essential.

I made that trip once, then ended up moving to paradise where SR would have been way more than adequate.

Thanks for all the responses. Range will not be an issue, it'll be a second car to a likely 100 battery. I'm more concerned about the premium interior, sound, other little goodies that you don't get with the SR+. Anything that would sway anyone based on those combined with the bonus of extra range?

I didn't want the premium interior but I got it because the alternative would have been to wait another six months or a year to get the car. If my car were totaled and I had to replace it, I would absolutely get the premium interior.

However, please note that this is my daily driver and my only car. If you are buying it as a secondary, occasional-use car, and you are on a budget, you might want to save the money for something else. The premium interior is very nice, but only you can decide if it's worth the cost considering your finances and the amount of use the car will get.

I just have to ask the question, why do you believe that range is the most important? IS this your first EV?
Did you know that any Model 3 has a range from one coast to the other coast? If you wanted to go from Seattle to Key West, you could easily do it.

Sure, the extra 100 miles may mean a stop or so less on 500 mile trips, but how often do you do that?

I second this! I drove up through Cali in my SR not even plus, and it had enough range to actually pass a supercharger and keep going an extra 30 miles to another.

When I bought my LR RWD, there were 3 factors that were important to me with the premium interior: 1. Sound system, 2. Homelink 3. Connectivity.
Homelink is no longer included in premium (though it would be in the 2018).

The 2019 would have HW3.0 for Autopilot, the 2018 probably 2.5. Not sure how much that matters.

I agree with everyone here about LR. I took a trip recently that took me into the mountains of NC and it was 150 miles from the supercharger uphill.

But if you don't need the range and it isn't a factor, I would probably lean toward brand new SR+.