Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2018 w/ Enhanced Autopilot and 2.5 Computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at used Model 3 w/ Enhanced Autopilot. Is there any way to upgrade the computer to version 3.0? I'm hoping to subscribe to FSD once out of beta but worried if I buy this car I'll be trapped with 2.5 computer.

Looking at used Model 3 w/ Enhanced Autopilot. Is there any way to upgrade the computer to version 3.0? I'm hoping to subscribe to FSD once out of beta but worried if I buy this car I'll be trapped with 2.5 computer.
I had my 2018 model 3 LEMR 2.5 computer upgraded to FSD 3.0. When you try to sign up for the FSD subscription, it will say you need to upgrade. It will then allow you to setup an appt for the upgrade. After upgrade you can return and sign up for the subscription or not. I just wanted the FSD computer to get the visualizations and better autopilot performance.

I have a 2018 Model 3 with the 2.5 computer that does not have even basic autopilot. There was time when you could only order enhanced autopilot for $5k and I chose not to get it as we had on another Model 3 at the time.

Now 5 years later, we have a 2022 Model Y as well with basic autopilot. We really would like to have the "changing red light chime" and the "automatic turn signal" on the older Model 3. We have gotten so used so some of the features on the Model Y and it would just be nice to have both cars behave the same. The Model 3 only has about 25000 miles and it is in great condition and we plan to keep forever.

We needed some service and I asked about the FSD computer upgrade. It's about $2K. The service appointment is in early Jan.

I am not really interested in Autopilot or FSD. When FSD truly works we might get the subscription on the Model Y. We have already tried a few times and it is not there yet for us.

So just curious if anyone has done and this type of upgrade on an older car with no Autopilot.

Will all the features that come with the 3.0 computer work on the older Model 3? Will there be any limitations with the older cameras or other hardware on this car?

Will all the features that come with the 3.0 computer work on the older Model 3? Will there be any limitations with the older cameras or other hardware on this car?
I dont know what will happen if you have a car with HW 3 and no autopilot features at all, but I can tell you that a 2018 model 3 works with HW3 with no issues. I have FSD on my 2018 model 3P, got the hardware updated due to the FSD purchase and no issues.

No idea what happens with no software options purchased on the car though.

I dont know what will happen if you have a car with HW 3 and no autopilot features at all, but I can tell you that a 2018 model 3 works with HW3 with no issues. I have FSD on my 2018 model 3P, got the hardware updated due to the FSD purchase and no issues.

No idea what happens with no software options purchased on the car though.
Thanks. Yeah, I think it will be an unusual configuration as basic Autopilot has been standard for a while. Just worried they may only have tested these feature on cars with Autopilot. There maybe some limits on what functions even though the features I want are not part of Autopilot.

Thanks. Yeah, I think it will be an unusual configuration as basic Autopilot has been standard for a while. Just worried they may only have tested these feature on cars with Autopilot. There maybe some limits on what functions even though the features I want are not part of Autopilot.
I have a 2018 Model 3 MR and after upgrading to HW 3.0, it is full capable of handling FSD. All sensors and cameras the same as wjhat you would find in 2019 and 2020.

Some people put in a service request and have gotten this for upgrade for free.

Months ago, before Tesla service centers figured out they were not supposed to do that. Details in this thread, with the later pages being the most relevant to now:

Reactions: JBT66
I have a 2018 Model 3 with the 2.5 computer that does not have even basic autopilot. There was time when you could only order enhanced autopilot for $5k and I chose not to get it as we had on another Model 3 at the time.

Now 5 years later, we have a 2022 Model Y as well with basic autopilot. We really would like to have the "changing red light chime" and the "automatic turn signal" on the older Model 3. We have gotten so used so some of the features on the Model Y and it would just be nice to have both cars behave the same. The Model 3 only has about 25000 miles and it is in great condition and we plan to keep forever.

We needed some service and I asked about the FSD computer upgrade. It's about $2K. The service appointment is in early Jan.

I am not really interested in Autopilot or FSD. When FSD truly works we might get the subscription on the Model Y. We have already tried a few times and it is not there yet for us.

So just curious if anyone has done and this type of upgrade on an older car with no Autopilot.

I wouldn't be surprised if your car suddenly had Autopilot after the computer upgrade. Let us know how it goes. I remember it cost me $3000 to get basic autopilot on my 2018 LR order. Have you ever asked what the cost would be if you were to upgrade now? (Just AP, not EAP)