Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2019 M3 or New 2020 M3 - Advice!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I need some advice. I found a use 2019 M3 LR AWD with 17k miles price at $48,750. I just sold my ICE car that I had negative equity with, so I'm definitely out a good bit of money. I feel like this used M3 is overpriced.

I have an order currently waiting for delivery for a 2020 M3 LR AWD the same color and interior.

Should I save the $4k and get this used M3 or pay a higher price for the new car, use of warranty and higher value over time?

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well yes of course. What would be better in the long run?

New of course.

Depending on the month, Hardware 2.5 was still installed in early 2019 (currently, Hardware 3.0).

Tesla constantly and silently changes different auto parts at the assembly line to newer versions without notice.

Your choice has a price.

It costs more to get better in the long run with certainty, predictability.

It costs less to get the worse in the long run with uncertainty.

It's a matter of your affordability.

Reactions: Spacep0d
The new car warranty alone may be worth the price difference. Unless you are buying used from Tesla and still get 50,000 mile or 4 year warranty.

$4,000 less for 17k miles does not seem like a very good discount. However, if that is the market price I am glad to see the cars holding their value.

The new car warranty alone may be worth the price difference. Unless you are buying used from Tesla and still get 50,000 mile or 4 year warranty.

$4,000 less for 17k miles does not seem like a very good discount. However, if that is the market price I am glad to see the cars holding their value.

Delighted to see our cars holding their value so well. But, IMHO $4000 is not a compelling reason to choose a used M3 over a new one. Give yourself the advantages of a new one, and none of the questions that go with a used one. Enjoy the car.

Reactions: mrau
You will not get your $2500 from California, you will not get Orange HOV stickers, you won't get 1000 miles of SC (using referral), you will have a car listed as a 2019, and have a shorter warranty.

Not a good buy IMO.

Not to muddy the waters but if the car’s owner never applied for HOV stickers I believe OP could still apply for them. I think Calif might have also changed the rules on this this year so that a used car owner can apply for them even if the previous owner had them, but that should be double checked.

not everyone can get both the Calif rebate plus the HOV stickers so another thing to check out the specifics on.

For PG&E rebate that would be another possible thing to verify for new or used. Not sure if it’s by the car or by the owner at the address. But OP is in Southern Calif so not familiar with any local utility rebates down there.

Last edited: