Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S or New Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The site says 2-4 months delivery time. That's dangerously close to the end of the year, which means half the tax credit, which then means $15-17k more for the Model 3. That's more than half a Leaf :)

I think there's basically zero chance you wouldn't get a RWD Model 3 by the end of the year if you placed an order today. Some folks are reporting getting a VIN and delivery date within DAYS. Seems mostly dependent on which color you choose - they're making cars in batches and matching orders to available inventory (of which there seems to be a decent amount) .

Agree it's still substantially more than a Bolt, and whether or not that's worth it to you is a question only you can answer.

If your budget is strict, another element that you have to add to the mix in addition to purchase price is cost of ownership. Check with your insurance on the cost of a MS vs the cost of a Bolt.

Not pushing one way or the other, just suggesting for an informed decision.

if there is any way you can wait for standard range Model 3

This thread has made me consider this option, even without the currently-legislated tax benefit. As far as I can tell, the base Model 3 is at least 6 months away, but could be longer. Plus, there's the waiting list. Not sure I see myself in this car for at least another year, which makes a purchase now still necessary. Was thinking of leasing a Leaf for 3 years and buying a better EV after lease finishes. Will be more options from other brands, as well good used options given no likely tax incentive.

What are your driving patterns? If looking for value, a used Chevrolet Volt could be a better placeholder. Much cheaper than new, gives you electric driving within its range, and might be usable for longer trips as well.
You don't say what your current ICE is, but in good weather Gen 1 Volts give high-30s-40mpg.

I have driven both. The problems that I found with the Bolt:

1) Very cheap interior even with the upgraded interior(feels much like my daughter's $16,000 Fiat).
2) I can't fit my golf clubs in the back space without folding down the back seats(That means I can't transport a foursome).
3) No real charging infrastructure for traveling(My goal is to go competely away from gas).

Four years ago I got rid of a moderately expensive car(Volvo C70) to save for a model 3. I ended up finding a great deal on a CPO Model S and jumped on it. The best $42,000 I have ever spent(no rebates). I couldn't be happier!

In the end, it all depends on your needs. The bolt is a very good driving car(Not much to look at, pretty cheap interior, and not that much space for a hatch), but if that isn't important to you, then go for the Bolt. I am 62 years old and the seats in the bolt were not for meAfter a short test drive, I was already uncomfortable). This is obviously just my thoughts.

Good luck in your search.

If looking for value, a used Chevrolet Volt could be a better placeholder.

That's a good point. I had put away the idea of a Volt without much looking into it. Looks like 35 miles of electric range. Not good enough for all my trips, but maybe many of them right now. Don't drive much yet given working from home, but will want something. My wife and I have an Accord, but she's starting back to work outside the home. If I choose a placeholder car, this is a good option to investigate.

That's a good point. I had put away the idea of a Volt without much looking into it. Looks like 35 miles of electric range. Not good enough for all my trips, but maybe many of them right now. Don't drive much yet given working from home, but will want something. My wife and I have an Accord, but she's starting back to work outside the home. If I choose a placeholder car, this is a good option to investigate.

Rated range for Gen 1 Volt:
2011 - 2012: 35 miles, 16kWh battery, 9.9kWh usable?
2013 - most 2014 (plus a few 2012): 38 miles, 16.5kWh battery ~10.3kWh usable
Some late 2014 - 2015: rated 38 miles but 17.1kWh battery ~ 10.9kWh usable, so really more like 40miles.

Our 2013 ranges from mid-high 20s in Maine cold with heat cranked to high 40s miles in good conditions. I suspect that you'd be generally be on the higher end.
2013 introduced Hold Mode to allow you turn the engine on to preserve charge for low-speed driving.

Gen 2 (2016+) adds a bunch of range (rated 53 miles), improved hybrid fuel economy (plus regular gasoline), made it quicker at low speeds, made it 4+1 instead of 4 seater and improved the ergonomics of the front console.

If the Volt's compact size is OK for you, it could also take over some Accord duties if you do eventually get a long-range BEV in a few years.

I think that if you're hesitant about the Bolt because of CCS charging infrastructure, it's worth remembering that there'll be a bunch of other CCS BEVs from manufacturers that haven't used up their credits (like the Hyundai Kona, and Kia Niro), and the cars should only become better and cheaper, so I don't think you should feel rushed into buying.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
Hi everyone,

Read a few posts on here about this question, and learned some stuff, but had a few other questions. I'm looking to enter the EV world. I'm leaning towards the Bolt, but thought I'd see what others here think about it.

Living in Texas, I can get $10k in rebates or tax credits on a new EV. This means I can get a new Bolt for like $32k taxes in (after credits). A used Model S (2013 or 2014, S60) with 2+ years warranty will be in the neighborhood of $40-45k.

We already have an ICE, so long trips could just be done in that, so the supercharging network isn't a huge plus, though not nothing. Test drove a Bolt, and I have to admit, I quite liked it. Surprisingly peppy, stable, and fun to drive. Probably less likely to attract negative attention than the S, too.

But the Tesla has much better tech, nicer interior, more punch, much more storage (hatchback-style back door is sweet), more comfortable sitting, and as far as I can tell, it's much safer. I suppose resale would be better, too, since it's not a new car.

Wondering if there's anything I'm missing here.

Thanks for any advice,
bug

If you don't care about the badge or having tons of gee whiz features (AP, etc) and care more about practicality and best bang for the buck, you can't really go that wrong with a Bolt if you aren't planning to take epic road trips in it. Most people won't even realize it's an EV, which being in Texas may be appealing. They'll just see some little Chevy hatchback. Take off the Bolt badge for even more "ninja EV'ing". With a little shopping, I'm sure you could get a $4-5k discount on an '18 Bolt (especially if you look out of state), plus the $7,500 fed credit plus whatever incentives TX offers.

I will echo what a few others have said. I own both a Model S (2012) and a 2018 Bolt. For driving around town, I much prefer the smaller Bolt. I also like how it sits up. I am 6' 2" and I have adjusted my seat in the Bolt so that it is pretty much at butt height making it far easier to get in and out of than my Model S. For around town driving it is also much more efficient than an S. I can get less than 200 wh/mi without hardly trying. The Bolt also does not seem to suffer from the same vampire losses while sitting that the S does.

In the "L" driving position, you can pretty much drive the Bolt with one pedal. In addition I enjoy the stronger stopping power of the regen in the Bolt.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

1. Model 3 - use it for 8 years, rain or shine, long or short distance.
2. Bolt - use it for 5-8 years depends on evolving usage needs and future charging infrastructure (though fast charging is less fast). Good for anything not between cities here in Texas.
3. Volt or something else to tide me over.

Let's say I go the Model 3 route and order today? What are the chances I get the delivery before Dec 31 this year? Site says 2-4 months.

I'm sorry - but the Bolt is hideous... I purchased a used Model S about three years ago - no auto pilot. I have driven it to New York and back. I have had to rent it out on Turo to afford the payments (I have a large family - eight kids). But I love it and I love how Tesla is really taking on the big three. I say boycott Chevrolet - if they were really into the all-electric future, how come we cannot get an all-electric Camaro yet???

Do whatever you can to get a Model S - you will not regret it.

Brent

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

1. Model 3 - use it for 8 years, rain or shine, long or short distance.
2. Bolt - use it for 5-8 years depends on evolving usage needs and future charging infrastructure (though fast charging is less fast). Good for anything not between cities here in Texas.
3. Volt or something else to tide me over.

Let's say I go the Model 3 route and order today? What are the chances I get the delivery before Dec 31 this year? Site says 2-4 months.
what kind? AWD? RWD? PM3?
the answer is 100% on all of them. are you 100% sure you qualify for the full $7500 as well?

I had the same dilemma 1 year ago and so happy I chose the S. I originally thought of a Volt and then realized I wouldn't get an HOV plate so then I thought Bolt. I looked at them and drove one thinking the Tesla was out of my budget and then found that Tesla had a CPO. After seeing how cheap the Bolt felt and the looks were horrid (to me) I went with a used S.
I researched and found a car that was over what I thought I'd ever spend on a car but in the end costs less for my commuting. I was also worried about road trips so I had to go Tesla and found that the charging network is amazing. I'm hooked..

At the end of the day, do you want to walk out to the garage and see a Bolt of a Beautiful Tesla.

The RWD non-performance single-motor version without EAP (the current base). And how do you know it's guaranteed? Site says might be 4 months, which is outside the limit for the tax rebate?

And yes, I will qualify for the full tax credit.
They are ramping up production, hoping to hit 8k a week. I would be suprised if you didnt get your RWD by then. Absolute worst case you lost $3500 and your still getting a much superior car than a Chevy Bolt.

Site says might be 4 months, which is outside the limit for the tax rebate?

4 months from today is December 17th, giving you an even further 2 weeks of cushion.

Obviously nothing in life is guaranteed, but go poke around in the model 3 ordering/production/delivery forum and read some threads to get an idea of how long people are waiting. The long-range RWD model is not particularly supply constrained right now.