Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85D v performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you haven't already seen the video Ben Sullins did at Teslanomics you may want to check it out.
He and his wife review their Model 3 that they have owned for 6 months and make many comparisons to the Model S they have owned for a few years. They have a young son so they use a car seat in both cars.

I’ve had a P85D for over three years and a Model 3 for six months. I also have two young children (6 and 3).

There is no question the Model 3 is a better overall vehicle. Faster MCU, AP2.5 hardware, faster charging at the same amp, and more range. The P85D will be a bit faster than a Performance Model 3, but with small children facing rearward, you’re not going to be doing insane launches as much as you’d think.

Also, the Model 3 isn’t particularly small. The length and width of storage is only a couple inches smaller. The hatch and height are where the Model S shines. Unless you have a crazy big stroller, they’ll be fine in both.

The Model S has a couple inches more width in the back seat. It can handle three across if you get slim car seats, like the Diano Radian. More importantly to me, the Model S can handle two car seats and a small adult in the rear. The Model 3 can almost do this if the adult passenger holds their breath. It’s the single biggest drawback to the Model 3 with two children.

The auto lift gate on the Model S is great when your hands are full.

It’s a really close call for me, particularly keeping a family in mind. Now that my kids are older, the 3 is fine. The hatch on the Model S is convenient for changing kids in the back or hauling more stuff. But I’d definitely check out the size of the Model 3 trunk before deciding.

The Model 3 definitely feels fresher. It drives more sporty and fun. The Model S feels larger and more sturdy. It doesn’t feel as nimble but it makes up for it in a commanding feel.

AP1 has had a great run with feature parity, but I suspect we’ll be seeing a divergence with AP2 taking a noticeable lead in the near future.

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with either but I’d consider the non-Performance versions as well considering how much you’ll be hauling a baby and associated gear.

Congrats and good luck! There’s really no bad decision.

Reactions: DanCar and P85_DA
I have a P85D. I love it. It is the best car I've owned. But my lease is up on it in 2 months and even compared to the standard long range Model 3 I can't make a solid case for buying another S. The cost proposition just isn't there unless you absolutely need that hatch or the few "extra" features the S has.

The 3 just feels newer, nicer, better built, etc. If you can get by with the smaller car I think that's the way to go.

Other Model S advantages over the 3:
  • More comfortable back seat. Don't go by the measured legroom. The rear bench in the Model 3 is very low--the gap between the seat and the bottom of your thigh is much greater in the 3 vs the S, which makes it very uncomfortable. Go sit in the back seat of a 3 and then an S and you will see what I mean.
  • Air suspension (might be available next year in the 3, but Tesla/Elon time...)
  • Ability to display rear camera and something else simultaneously on center display
  • MS looks good from every angle and just has an awesome stance/presence, while the 3 looks odd from certain angles given skinnier appearance, high rear hatch and somewhat odd proportions
  • Stock 21" rims (you can put any size aftermarket rims on any car, but just stating what is stock and servicable by the service center)

As stated above, you can't really go wrong as they are both great cars. For me, the odd looks of the 3 (and creature comforts such as power liftgate with ample rear storage of the S) are enough to sway me away....

• Love
Reactions: Don TLR and P85_DA