Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Performance Model 3 Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've love my Model 3 greatly. So much so it’s really gotten me interested in Model X. Actually I have a pending delivery of Model X for later this week.

Like many early Model 3 buyers price changes and tax credit really banged up the value of my car. I bought for 78K Closest comparison today sells for 10K less brand new.

The vehicle overall condition is great. Scrapes and bruises on 20 inch rims due to city driving but outside of that clean report no issues.

15,500 miles, August 2018 build. Metallic Gray, White Interior, and Enhanced Auto Pilot. Trade in offered from Tesla 44K. My ideal price for private sale is about 57,500 with my 19 inch set of winter tires included for Chicago Winters plus the few minor things I’ve bought. Such as wireless charging pad and improved car mats.

This isn’t necessarily a for sale post. More a gauge of what people would realistically spend to buy the used car. The forum has been tough on sellers pricing their car out of the market.

My wife isn’t really interested in keeping both and doesn’t like the idea of taking a 34K deprecation hit via trade in after 9ish months of ownership

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
That's high milage and a bit more wear/tear than most. $57k is really close to what I see other P3D listed for currently. But the fact their still available means they are not moving at that price. Personally I'd list at 55k and hope to end up in the 52k range.

Don't forget if Tesla offered you 44k, you also get a 7.25% sales tax break on your X. So Tesla's offer really has 47.2k of value.

• Informative
Reactions: Benihect
Wasn’t really worth it. I had it on Turo for 1-2 weeks to test market. 1 5 day rental request in that time frame $420 dollar revenue.

I feel Tesla network is way far off. Autopilot simply isn’t there
~$840/month not worth it? ~$9,000 - $10,000 per year - seems more than depreciation?
A gamble - but would have been an interesting experiment, right? AND you'd be able to drive any time you want to ?? Send car to California and use on your California vacation? and then drive to another vacation state. Does sound complex.

Enjoy your new Tesla. Have fun.

That's high milage and a bit more wear/tear than most. $57k is really close to what I see other P3D listed for currently. But the fact their still available means they are not moving at that price. Personally I'd list at 55k and hope to end up in the 52k range.

Don't forget if Tesla offered you 44k, you also get a 7.25% sales tax break on your X. So Tesla's offer really has 47.2k of value.

National average is 13476 on a 13-14 month old car that's around 1k per i.e. not high mileage, it's average.

It's high compared to majority of Model 3s on the market currently for sale.

Yeah I can agree with that. I would at least specify that distinction you are making in the future. I am curious why most of them are so low. Even SoCal ones are low and you have to drive on a freeway to get just about everywhere so you will rack up miles.

rick james and james brown in the same thread

Seems Model 3 Performance beats any ICE car up to $65,000 and many that are even more.
Can anyone find an ICE below $80,000 that come close to Model 3 Performance ??
Safety? operating costs? maintenance costs?
IF performance is your goal, Model 3 up to $70,000 seems a bargain. right?
Just do it.

Reactions: Jaywlker
I've love my Model 3 greatly. So much so it’s really gotten me interested in Model X. Actually I have a pending delivery of Model X for later this week.

Like many early Model 3 buyers price changes and tax credit really banged up the value of my car. I bought for 78K Closest comparison today sells for 10K less brand new.

The vehicle overall condition is great. Scrapes and bruises on 20 inch rims due to city driving but outside of that clean report no issues.

15,500 miles, August 2018 build. Metallic Gray, White Interior, and Enhanced Auto Pilot. Trade in offered from Tesla 44K. My ideal price for private sale is about 57,500 with my 19 inch set of winter tires included for Chicago Winters plus the few minor things I’ve bought. Such as wireless charging pad and improved car mats.

This isn’t necessarily a for sale post. More a gauge of what people would realistically spend to buy the used car. The forum has been tough on sellers pricing their car out of the market.

My wife isn’t really interested in keeping both and doesn’t like the idea of taking a 34K deprecation hit via trade in after 9ish months of ownership

Let’s get things straight, It’s not close to $34k of depreciation.

I paid around $78k in Sept 2018 (Stealth FSD)

That includes 6.025% MA Tax
$10,000 in Tax Credits.
$5,000 in Tesla Refund.

So now I’m down to $58k (new) real money.

15k miles and less than mint wheels, used. Will cost about $10k. $48k.

Add $4k if included 20” wheels/brakes. $52k

Real “depreciation” is around $10k

Also do you think owning a car for 9 months is free?

What I like to do amortize the cost over 10 years. Say $60k amortized over 10 years is $500 month !! $500 * 9 months is $4500. You got $4500 of “use” out of the car.

So the extra hit of selling “early” is around $5000 added depreciation. No big deal. And if you took a little better care of it, it might be a little less than that.

I see 2 new M3P available for $60k new on Tesla Showroom Deals at the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190715-055411.png
    Screenshot_20190715-055411.png
    410.3 KB · Views: 90
Used 2018 build 3P should soon follow and be sold in the mid $40K at most. Even less for the earlier 3P’s.

Ive always said, buying a new Tesla early is not financially prudent. They just seem to continually decrease in price (even more than depreciation when looking at ludicrous S and X).