Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used S 90 confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy a 2015 model S but I am pretty ill informed to everything and I have a few questions. I have been a longtime lurker and I know you guys are a great source.

The listing calls it a 2015 S85 but the photos show a 90 on the back bumper. But from the research I can find tesla never built a RWD 90. Did Tesla call the RWD 85s 90s? There is also 8K miles difference between the pictured (28,374) vs the listed mileage on the posting (36,823)

I am trying to figure out pricing and just want to make sure I am not getting conned. I can post a link to the posting if that is allowed. The dealer has very good reviews online (I know those online reviews could be fake) although I just happen to live in dallas where they are listed so I will be seeing the car in person.

86d5b41e7f5af4e0ec37a379bdf04cf7.jpg

89fc7bbf05bd7b480722ee13402d3732.jpg

its probably a S85 that had a bad battery and was swapped out for a 90 pack. depending on availability, the 90 pack was put in place of 85's i would value it as a 85(with a little perk)

I would call a Tesla store with the VIN and see if they will give you further info

If it has a V1 90 battery, it's worse off than have the 85 as the V1s degrade very quickly. If it has a V2/V3 pack, then it will have better range but will probably still have the supercharger counters that limit max charging after x number of charges.

I have a Model S 90 that began life as an 85. It gets about 30 more miles than an 85 and has noticeably more power especially at highway passing speed as measured with PowerTools for Tesla. If the car listed had its battery pack changed there’s a good chance it has a V3 battery pack. You can check the battery part number behind the front right wheel. I believe it’s also possible it’s a factory 90 as for about a month (around summer 2015) it was possible to configure a 90 without AWD. This would make it an early V1 90 pack and probably not better than an 85.

As indicated above, Tesla did make S90s in 2015.

There are 12 currently listed for sale on EV-CPO.com and 11 previously sold as used/CPOs in the archives.

If the dash says 90, and the badge says 90, it's most likely a 90. :)

If the only thing that says S85 is the listing, I'd say it's a typo or an 85 upgraded to a 90 and the badge was also updated. What's the VIN?