Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla Bought (2019 for $36.8K)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to pick up a used 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR w/ FSD and Acceleration Boost and 48K miles for 36.8K from Tesla

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the used car buying process. I think the price is too good of a deal that it will be significantly damaged/used. Is the price indicative of the condition of the car? Any anecdotes about buying a nice car used from Tesla would help haha. Thanks!

My biggest concern would be warranty. Youll get the remains of it's original warranty and 1 extra year. So the question is how likely can you shake out the actual issues in the remaining warranty time and/or is a newer model worth it for more warranty? Tesla is a mixed bag not showing you the car you are buying until you go to pick it up. You don't have to accept. But if you have a trade etc it's a lot of betting on a unknown element.

acceleration boost and FSD aren't impacting resell value in a meaningful way... so you are basically paying $37k for a 3+ yr old Model 3 LR with nearly 50k miles on it... bumper-bumper warranty ends exactly at 50k miles so it's a bit "odd" that the original owner is dumping their car *right at warranty end* ;) Still a good buy but have the savings to pay if needed for repairs out of pocket...

I just came back from Nashville and hopefully it is not a normal experience. I had a cashier check ready and since this was a 2018 model s 100d with 22k miles and priced at 75k, I thought it would be in pristine condition. I was mistaken. The hood had a big dent. There were deep scratches in front and back. The front scoop was all messed up. The word I got was everything was within spec for a used vehicle as specified by Tesla. I could tell that the tech guy was looking at me and yeah this is wrong. The spec is scratches under 4 inches but not for the front scoop. Scoop had deep gouges that was painted over with touch up paint. The dent is ok because it was less than 4 inches. It was visible from mile away. I would not pay 50k for this. If the owner treated it this badly on the outside. They sent pictures to my sales coordinator and hopefully I will get my 1k for transport and 500 for deposit. There is no way, anyone would pay 75k for this car. I got another one that I was going to get for my son, it is a 2018 75d for 55k with 46k miles. If this does not work out, I will never buy used from Tesla. I will go ahead and order a new model Y. My 2018 model 3 that I bought in June 0f 2018 was totaled stopped at a redlight. A guy going 50-60 head on crash. I thought I was going to die but just bruises. Tesla model 3 is definitely safe.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I just came back from Nashville and hopefully it is not a normal experience. I had a cashier check ready and since this was a 2018 model s 100d with 22k miles and priced at 75k, I thought it would be in pristine condition. I was mistaken. The hood had a big dent. There were deep scratches in front and back. The front scoop was all messed up. The word I got was everything was within spec for a used vehicle as specified by Tesla. I could tell that the tech guy was looking at me and yeah this is wrong. The spec is scratches under 4 inches but not for the front scoop. Scoop had deep gouges that was painted over with touch up paint. The dent is ok because it was less than 4 inches. It was visible from mile away. I would not pay 50k for this. If the owner treated it this badly on the outside. They sent pictures to my sales coordinator and hopefully I will get my 1k for transport and 500 for deposit. There is no way, anyone would pay 75k for this car. I got another one that I was going to get for my son, it is a 2018 75d for 55k with 46k miles. If this does not work out, I will never buy used from Tesla. I will go ahead and order a new model Y. My 2018 model 3 that I bought in June 0f 2018 was totaled stopped at a redlight. A guy going 50-60 head on crash. I thought I was going to die but just bruises. Tesla model 3 is definitely safe.
not exactly a CPO experience legacy carmakers offer... honestly - probably better off buying a used Tesla from Carmax or Carvana with a generous return policy no questions asked...

Reactions: vickh
Well this is exactly what I am worried about. The guidelines for a used car includes 4 inch scratches and dents up to an 2 inches. However, I knew what I was getting into for such a good price, so we shall see

Yeah for me 75k for 2018 definitely was not a good price. Maybe because it was metallic silver, it was more. I was willing to pay more because of the color. So thinking the price has nothing to do with the condition. Probably a formula based on color, options and miles. Tesla told me it will be easy to repair and I told them if it was that easy, why didn't they repair it before selling it then. I was in Nashville on Oct 22nd. Wasted several hours of my time also. He told me next time, that I could call ahead for pictures.

Yeah for me 75k for 2018 definitely was not a good price. Maybe because it was metallic silver, it was more. I was willing to pay more because of the color. So thinking the price has nothing to do with the condition. Probably a formula based on color, options and miles. Tesla told me it will be easy to repair and I told them if it was that easy, why didn't they repair it before selling it then. I was in Nashville on Oct 22nd. Wasted several hours of my time also. He told me next time, that I could call ahead for pictures.
The picture is a lie. They told me I cannot view any pictures and can only see the car on the day of delivery

Bought my 2019 M3LR used from Tesla and it was definitely unnerving not being able to see the specific car before committing. Mine was being shipped from out of state. I also thought I got a good deal and wondered if the price was indicative of the car's condition. My advice is to do a thorough walk-around while you're at the service center, and then document any issues right away. I was too excited to care too much during pick up (also had my kids with me etc). The next day I noticed a few marks/scratches on the bumper/rims etc as well as stitching coming loose on the steering wheel. I took pictures and sent to my sales advisor guy and he was able to get service claims going for repainting the bumper, repairing a rim and replacing the steering wheel. Ended up giving the car a good wash and discovered the bumper/rim defects were superficial so I declined those repairs (car was apparently "filthy" coming off the shipping truck, so perhaps just wasn't cleaned/detailed well enough). I still went through with the steering wheel claim and the steering wheel was replaced by the mobile service at my house for free. Ultimately I was happy with the used purchase process in terms of getting issues resolved that I discovered upon pickup.

Bought my 2019 M3LR used from Tesla and it was definitely unnerving not being able to see the specific car before committing. Mine was being shipped from out of state. I also thought I got a good deal and wondered if the price was indicative of the car's condition. My advice is to do a thorough walk-around while you're at the service center, and then document any issues right away. I was too excited to care too much during pick up (also had my kids with me etc). The next day I noticed a few marks/scratches on the bumper/rims etc as well as stitching coming loose on the steering wheel. I took pictures and sent to my sales advisor guy and he was able to get service claims going for repainting the bumper, repairing a rim and replacing the steering wheel. Ended up giving the car a good wash and discovered the bumper/rim defects were superficial so I declined those repairs (car was apparently "filthy" coming off the shipping truck, so perhaps just wasn't cleaned/detailed well enough). I still went through with the steering wheel claim and the steering wheel was replaced by the mobile service at my house for free. Ultimately I was happy with the used purchase process in terms of getting issues resolved that I discovered upon pickup.
sounds like a Premium CPO experience over at Tesla used cars ;) At least they keep new/used car experience consistent ... at the Plano TX SC they'll park cars under the trees and will happily return to you a new or serviced car covered in bird p**p without washing them beforehand...

There are tons of used Teslas at local dealers. I would definitely check them as they seem to be sitting and dropping prices pretty hard. One added benefit is that you could at least inspect and test drive the vehicle before committing to buy it.
I sold my 2019 to a local Chevrolet dealer lol. There are many Teslas sitting around at traditional dealerships. You absolutely can go examine and test drive them like any other used car.
The best part is they know so little about EVs that they salesman kept calling me with questions about my car until it sold. It took 2 months to sell so the market is definitely slowing down.

I was able to pick up a used 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR w/ FSD and Acceleration Boost and 48K miles for 36.8K from Tesla

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the used car buying process. I think the price is too good of a deal that it will be significantly damaged/used. Is the price indicative of the condition of the car? Any anecdotes about buying a nice car used from Tesla would help haha. Thanks!
My son just picked up the same deal (LR with 39k miles, FSD, AB, 19" wheels, MSM and black) for the same price. The car is in great shape with only one minor scratch on the front bumper. I have not seen anything like this recently from Tesla. Must have been a Monday morning special.

Reactions: cdub
My son just picked up the same deal (LR with 39k miles, FSD, AB, 19" wheels, MSM and black) for the same price. The car is in great shape with only one minor scratch on the front bumper. I have not seen anything like this recently from Tesla. Must have been a Monday morning special.
This was from Tesla? It’s definitely long range AWD with FSD paid for and included?