TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Used Tesla in Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by iKhalid, May 26, 2014.

1. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Before I purchased my Model S, I used to search AutoTrader periodically nationwide and noticed that all of the used Model S are overpriced (close to new or even higher!). 2 days ago I got a notification of a new listing and I found it really reasonable, if not underpriced!

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post the link here but it's a black P85 fully loaded with 20,000KM for $80,000 only. (not many are listed there so you should be able to find it easily)

Am I the only one who finds it underpriced? According to the seller: 1st owner, no accidents and bought from Ontario (Toronto, I guess).

2. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

#2 Morristhecat, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    I looked at it and it sure is a very good deal. For about the price of a new 60 with supercharging, you get a performance 85! I am sure it won't last long. If I didn't have an S already I'd buy it even if I would have to drive it all the way to the west coast, it would be totally worth it! Maybe the seller simply needs to unload it fast?

3. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Exactly my thought! But if people start listing them that low, I'm afraid it might hurt the depreciation of the Model S here in Canada. That's like $45K drop in 20,000km and 1 year of ownership!

4. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I would not be worried too much about that yet. Supply and demand. As you have noticed, there isn't too much used supply, so demand will still be there. This guy may have a unique situation and may have to unload it fast - who knows.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

...or it's a scam. Lots of scams in the used car market. Especially cars that seem like a "good deal".

6. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Actually, I emailed the lady and it doesn't look like a scam. You can tell that she knows about the car and she actually owns one.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Cool. Just watch out for the guys that say things like, "I'm out of the country at the moment, but the car is in storage." My brother-in-law was trying to buy a car in Toronto and said a good fraction of the cars he wanted to check out had stories like that.

8. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

That would actually be a good thing for me, because it would cut the "luxury tax" that I have to pay for registering my Model S.

9. green1

green1 Active Member

Maybe they just realized that the other cars on autotrader have all been listed on there for a very long time and wanted to actually sell theirs...

It's unfortunate that Tesla has chosen to prevent the import of used MS from the USA, if Tesla was willing to allow that, the price of a used MS would be MUCH lower than it currently is. (and there'd be more than 5 nation wide!)

I'm still counting on a couple more years and the $50k-60k range. keep in mind, if the price isn't dropping, that means that people think there's no advantage at all to a new one over used, which means that Tesla isn't doing their job in improving their vehicles over time.

10. stoked

stoked Member

Was looking at that posting as well. Out of my price range still but seems worthwhile for someone looking for a P85.

11. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The government rebate on new EVs is a huge advantage. Of course, in Canada an "overpriced" used EV in Quebec might be a good buy for someone in New Brunswick.

12. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

It's kilometers, so only ~12,500 miles.

13. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

(Keep in mind that the government rebate has disappeared in BC and may disappear in ON asap after June 12.)

14. green1

green1 Active Member

If I ever see a government rebate in Alberta I'll have a heart attack. I'm more likely to see a government surcharge for electric!

15. hanstremblay

hanstremblay Member

Just missed it :-( exchange few emails today with her but I sent my confirmation a bit too late...The car was already sold.

Few month ago,( I was not ready to buy at that time) there was a signature Red for sale here at $81000 if I remember

16. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

I don't think it is a "P" 85. The rear photo has no logo indicating the "performance" model. I could be wrong but looks like the regular S85.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You can't go by that. The first cars delivered in Canada didn't have any badging. Tesla offered to install it later but not everyone wanted it.

18. hanstremblay

hanstremblay Member

Sent an email with the same comment directly to the seller when looking to buy and she confirm that the purchase order clearly indicate " Performance "

19. Darth Fedor

Darth Fedor Member

If anyone has a used one for sale I'm ready!

20. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

I saw your other post. It's really tough to find a used Model S in Canada with a decent price, maybe except the one was mentioned here.

I was looking on AutoTrader.ca and Kijiji for months before I ended up going with a new one. Mine was an inventory vehicle, and I was lucky that it arrived to Toronto from California the day I ordered it.

I suggest you call the Tesla store on Montreal or Toronto (they both use the same database) and check for used or inventory Teslas. They should have plenty by now.