Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just used credit card using the 873.973.7652. Eventually worked. First time call was disconnected while representative was putting me on hold prior to getting my card number. Had been on hold for 60+ minutes and so not happy. Called again and waited another 60+ min but it worked. Happy to get credit card points but their phone system leaves things to be desired.

Reactions: Tim-in-CA
Just used credit card using the 873.973.7652. Eventually worked. First time call was disconnected while representative was putting me on hold prior to getting my card number. Had been on hold for 60+ minutes and so not happy. Called again and waited another 60+ min but it worked. Happy to get credit card points but their phone system leaves things to be desired.
Did the same thing. Luckily I didn’t have to wait too long on hold. For me, my credit card denied the $33k charge as potential fraud, had to approve the charge in a challenge text i got from BofA, then the agent reran the charge. Got a nice almost $700 cash back. 😎. The charge did zap my credit score by 87 points as my credit utilization jumped! It’ll go back up when I pay it off in full.

Did the same thing. Luckily I didn’t have to wait too long on hold. For me, my credit card denied the $33k charge as potential fraud, had to approve the charge in a challenge text i got from BofA, then the agent reran the charge. Got a nice almost $700 cash back. 😎. The charge did zap my credit score by 87 points as my credit utilization jumped! It’ll go back up when I pay it off in full.
My system is much smaller. Only about $7.5 for a 4.1kW system here in Maryland.

I'm hoping it will cover about 2/3 of our electricity. Wanted to get 8.2kW but the plan they had for us was to put almost half of the panels on the north side of the house which also has big time shade issues.

Given the way Maryland does its rebates (1k vs a percentage) the 4.1kW system makes sense in hindsight. No issues with credit card denying the charge, although they called me right after Tesla put it through to make sure it wasn't fraudulent.

Reactions: Tim-in-CA
What I did was I asked to make 2 payments a few days apart. I called to CC company how to do it.
I sent a payment to CC beforehand to the limit of the card, called a few days later to make sure it was on the account and new negative balance. Called tesla to bill for that amount or a bit less. Called CC a few days later, bill received from Tesla and now had credit card open for final bill and payed that off when final payment was on CC account. All wit5hing a week, same billing cycle, no cred hit.

What I did was I asked to make 2 payments a few days apart. I called to CC company how to do it.
I sent a payment to CC beforehand to the limit of the card, called a few days later to make sure it was on the account and new negative balance. Called tesla to bill for that amount or a bit less. Called CC a few days later, bill received from Tesla and now had credit card open for final bill and payed that off when final payment was on CC account. All wit5hing a week, same billing cycle, no cred hit.
Do you still get the points/perks if you payoff the amount intra-billing period? I know with many cards you only get the points if hits your statement balance.

Do you still get the points/perks if you payoff the amount intra-billing period? I know with many cards you only get the points if hits your statement balance.
interesting point .. knew statement had to get generated before see the points .. never thought if paying before statement would effect points.. i would think not since cc gets fee from merchant regardless of when you pay the charges ...i know with some of my cc it allows you to pay indidual charges before statement date and points etc will still be received

Reactions: charlesj
I have charged 20x my limit before in a month on numerous accounts and received full points with the exception of citi double cash which gives 1% of the rewards on payment as long as its equal less than the balance so you would get 1% vs the 2% on that card.

I have charged 20x my limit before in a month on numerous accounts and received full points with the exception of citi double cash which gives 1% of the rewards on payment as long as its equal less than the balance so you would get 1% vs the 2% on that card.

Good to know. I have Citi Doublecash, so I let me Tesla solar payments roll on to the statement to get the full benefit. It only impacts credit score for 1 month (as utilization went over 10%). Now back over 820.

I just called the billing number and was able to pay by credit card, but they would only accept split payment across a max of two cards. Email receipts say the transactions were processed through PayPal. The only option I received to pay was to log into my account and set up a bank account, I did not get any option to pay via PayPal, though it seems like this is what the billing representatives use on their backend.

It has been 2 weeks since I paid in full using a credit card for my solar installation and I am still getting emails and texts saying that final payment is due.

This is annoying and I called about this a couple of days ago and thought things would be resolved so that I do not continue getting these messages. I hope this doesn't delay the permission to turn on the system.

Did others have this type of issue after paying with a credit card. Annoying.

It has been 2 weeks since I paid in full using a credit card for my solar installation and I am still getting emails and texts saying that final payment is due.

This is annoying and I called about this a couple of days ago and thought things would be resolved so that I do not continue getting these messages. I hope this doesn't delay the permission to turn on the system.

Did others have this type of issue after paying with a credit card. Annoying.
I haven't gotten texts/emails, but I paid in full with a CC over the phone over a month ago and my Tesla account still says to pay my invoice! Gotta love Tesla's back-end system!!! They must be run on Commodore 64 computers!