Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully using credit card or paypal to pay your Tesla solar project (cash or loan payment) lately? I read that down payment is not possible but cash payment is possible.
I called Tesla finance, i was told even with cash payment, they don't allow cc payment now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I was able to use my credit card for my cash payment today. Called 877-973-7652. When I told them I wanted to pay off my balance they said they only take payments on a credit card over the phone. I was expecting to have to do some arm twisting but none was required. Split the balance between two cards, one with 0% APR for 15 months so that will help ease the hit to my bank account. My original order date was March 2021 if that makes a difference.

Reactions: Electrph and KHYE
Man now I'm just sour. I called so many times to talk to so many different people and they all said they didn't take credit cards anymore.
Maybe the difference is that I paid "cash" for the system. It wasn't a loan. Seems like in your previous post you were trying to pay the down payment on a loan? I could see that being handled quite differently.

Edit:. In my first post I was trying to make it clear that I was paying for the system in full (not a loan) but after rereading I realize that wasn't exactly clear.

Last edited:
Maybe the difference is that I paid "cash" for the system. It wasn't a loan. Seems like in your previous post you were trying to pay the down payment on a loan? I could see that being handled quite differently.

Edit:. In my first post I was trying to make it clear that I was paying for the system in full (not a loan) but after rereading I realize that wasn't exactly clear.

Ah, maybe that's why. Yeah I was trying to make a downpayment. Oh well, the past is the past and knowing how Tesla works, it's just acceptable to have the system at least work correctly.

Just called in and told them I'm calling to make payment on my solar install. She said they only take payment via credit card over the phone and asked if that was ok. Even allowed me to split payment across 2 cards.
They did this back in summer of 2020 and even gave me a few days to make the 2nd payment so I can make sure my payments to the CC company went through and had enough credit left for the 2nd payment. :)

Just be prepared for getting a new text and email every other day telling you that your bill is past due. As reported here I knew it wasn't going to show paid on the Tesla website for some time, but wasn't prepared for the deluge of texts and emails.

thanks, their communication frequency is so much higher when payment is due vs hardly any emails/updates before install :)

how long did your system take after payment for PTO?