Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a Credit Card or Paypal to pay for Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking 2 months to clear the account? That is kinda strange as it is going through PayPal, if you use PayPal you know your funding source could be credit card or it could be your checking account, the party getting paid would not know the difference and they simply get paid. The Billing Department is mainly set up for credit card payment as the first thing they ask is your card number. Strangely the wait time recording is still Solar City and the PayPal account is still Solar City. Tesla could have saved some money by giving cash discount directly to customers instead of using Plaid or PayPal, guess they are too busy to think about that.
i believe they are referring to those of us that paid over phone with a credit card not thru paypal ..paypal was no longer option for some of us.. only plaid (ach from an account .. no cc accepted)
also to add my account still shows "make final payment " after almost 2 months .. i asked a tesla rep when on phone for another matter .. she stated my account shows paid since a few days after i paid over phone ...it is only customer portal that shows unpaid

i believe they are referring to those of us that paid over phone with a credit card not thru paypal ..paypal was no longer option for some of us.. only plaid (ach from an account .. no cc accepted)
also to add my account still shows "make final payment " after almost 2 months .. i asked a tesla rep when on phone for another matter .. she stated my account shows paid since a few days after i paid over phone ...it is only customer portal that shows unpaid
This is good to know, I wanted to pay via credit card, but it isn't an option via the online payment system. I'll try calling.

I just made 2 payments on my tesla solar roof using 2 separate credit cards.

Billing rep was the nicest person I've worked with at Tesla!

I was a little anxious about doing payments over the phone, if any one else is nervous about it, don't be, they are very friendly and it's really easy!

I'll be making a final payment via phone as soon as I pre authorize with the CC company.

Had my solar panels installed the first week of January 2021. Just paid via CC a couple weeks ago! Mind you, no one from Tesla was bugging me about making the final payment even though the paperwork states final payment was due 30 days after installation. Call took no longer than 15 minutes and there was no mention of needing to speak to a supervisor to "ok" it. Quick and painless and I received an email confirmation of final payment within minutes of hanging up the phone.

My Tesla account still reflects final payment is still needed as others have stated.

Reactions: Electrph
Had my solar panels installed the first week of January 2021. Just paid via CC a couple weeks ago! Mind you, no one from Tesla was bugging me about making the final payment even though the paperwork states final payment was due 30 days after installation. Call took no longer than 15 minutes and there was no mention of needing to speak to a supervisor to "ok" it. Quick and painless and I received an email confirmation of final payment within minutes of hanging up the phone.

My Tesla account still reflects final payment is still needed as others have stated.
After more than 3 months of my PTO and paying through cc, finally the "Final Payment" button is gone from my account. Also got an email two weeks ago that referral check would be sent in a week.. yet to receive it through.

So when I got my solar panels installed, Tesla gave me a gateway which I've directly connected to my router. After about 1.5 months later, out of the blue I get a FedEx package at my door and it's another Gateway but this one is labeled Solarcity? There were no instructions to replace my Tesla branded one so I'm confused as to why this was sent to me? Has anyone else been sent two gateways (one branded Tesla and one branded Solarcity)? I'm assuming this was a mistake or they were trying to get rid of all their old Solarcity inventory! haha

Did CC payment this morning and was able to split between 3 cards without any issues. The credit entry shows Solarcity and this may explain why it may take a month or two to show the payment on our accounts page as it may be a different system - just my guess
strange, mine in January '21 over 3 cards showed "tesla motors" for all .. made it fun to explain to one of the cards that it was home improvement / solar panels :p

Did CC payment this morning and was able to split between 3 cards without any issues. The credit entry shows Solarcity and this may explain why it may take a month or two to show the payment on our accounts page as it may be a different system - just my guess
It has been just over 2 weeks since I did the same (well I only used one credit). My Tesla account still shows an invoice that needs to be paid. When I checked w/ the billing folks I was told it can sometimes take up to 90 days for the account to reflect reality.

I also had the charge show up as Solarcity and agree with suspicion that it is a separate system.

Last edited:
Just a reminder if you plan to apply for new credit right after you pay for your solar project with CC, but this goes for any big purchase. I paid 52k for my project on my CC, my credit score went from perfect 850 to 730, though after I pay the whole balance a statement cycle later it went back up to 810.

Reactions: ScoGold