Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Jowua Invisible Phone Mount for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you were wondering whether you could use this Jowua mount for a radar detector, the answer is yes. I mounted it on the back of the screen in a different place than they specify, but it works well and there is a hole in the articulating arm that holds the power cord in place. When not in use I just pull out the detector, unplug the cord and fold the mount back and it is out of sight. I can also use it for my phone.

The fit is not perfect as the clamp is meant for a phone, but the detector does stay in place.

I bought a straight power cord and then ran it behind the screen and along the center console and plugged it into the 12v under the armrest - works fine and is not noticeable.
IMG_7380.jpg
IMG_7381.jpg

Is the suction cup mounted on the back of the display? Sticks and holds fine?
Yes! It came with a pad that could be stuck (with double sided tape) to the surface first, then connect the suction cup to that pad. But I did not use it. Suction cup is directly connected to the back of the screen. I’ve had it there for 1 week so far. Still holding strong.

Reactions: zpaul
Yes! It came with a pad that could be stuck (with double sided tape) to the surface first, then connect the suction cup to that pad. But I did not use it. Suction cup is directly connected to the back of the screen. I’ve had it there for 1 week so far. Still holding strong.

Nice. I'm looking to mount my V1 like this vs. the rear view, and it sounds like running power is pretty easy.

Any pics?

Nice. I'm looking to mount my V1 like this vs. the rear view, and it sounds like running power is pretty easy.

Any pics?

I’ll snap some tomorrow, I haven’t taken any yet. I like how it looks. It has visibility out the back, doesn’t block any of the screen or any view of the road. It’s right next to the speedometer, so handy to check both and panic if necessary. :)

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Did you get a chance to snap some pictures? Interested in doing the same!

Seems when I get in my car I'm too excited to drive and never remember. Thanks for the reminder! I just pulled it out of the garage to get some light and took some pix. If there's anything additional you'd like to see, let me know!

Thanks,
Jack

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpeg
    IMG_0578.jpeg
    903.6 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    891.4 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0580.jpeg
    IMG_0580.jpeg
    950.7 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_0581.jpeg
    IMG_0581.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 546
Reactions: Greg007 and zpaul
Seems when I get in my car I'm too excited to drive and never remember. Thanks for the reminder! I just pulled it out of the garage to get some light and took some pix. If there's anything additional you'd like to see, let me know!

Thanks,
Jack

Thank you! Awesome, yeah, assuming that suction cup holds (I know a good quality one will hold forever), that's about perfect.

Where did you connect the power? I'd __like__ to try to snake the power cord down behind the charging mat area, maybe in/through the center console, under the cup holders and wind up in the armrest storage where the power adapter would plug in.

Figured I'd do it with flat cord, without a connector on one end to make it easier, just crimp on a new one - but my main goal is to minimize pulling the car apart ...

Thank you! Awesome, yeah, assuming that suction cup holds (I know a good quality one will hold forever), that's about perfect.

Where did you connect the power? I'd __like__ to try to snake the power cord down behind the charging mat area, maybe in/through the center console, under the cup holders and wind up in the armrest storage where the power adapter would plug in.

Figured I'd do it with flat cord, without a connector on one end to make it easier, just crimp on a new one - but my main goal is to minimize pulling the car apart ...

I *used* to be worried about having everything completely hidden, now not so much. I am getting power from the 12V connector under the arm rest. Cord comes out and goes straight down next to my seat, then I tucked it under the upper plastic trim all the way to the front, then continued to tuck it under the plastic of the lower dash, over to the charge pad, then I just run it straight up to the detector. It's mostly hidden, just can see the short section where it comes out from under the arm rest, then can see it again above the charging pad.

Good enough for me.

What I *really* want to do though, is get a cord from the usb c connector in the center console up to the left of where I have the radar detector so I can mount and plug in my phone there. The charging pad doesn't seem to provide enough power to charge my iPhone 12 Pro (not Max)...it maintains it while streaming music, but that's about it.

Anyway, not sure how to get power out from the center console...that's a bit trickier and I'm afraid that will require some (hopefully) minor dismantling of the center console.

-Jack

• Helpful
Reactions: MaskedRacerX

The suction cup is holding so far...3 weeks and counting in some HOT weather. We'll see how it does when the temps drop below zero F this winter. It did come with a sticky pad, that you can attach first, then attach the suction cup to it. Using that will likely solve any issues, if there are any, but so far it's holding w/o that pad.

I *used* to be worried about having everything completely hidden, now not so much.

Yeah, same with me, as long it's __mostly__ hidden, I'd be fine.

I've also considered this as an option:

Then I'd only have to run power as far as the center console. Of course, a couple of caveats:
  1. Requires the use of a USB-C_to_USB-A adapter (which I'm already using for music on a USB stick).
  2. Assumes the device doesn't pull much power, which I believe would be the case with most (if not all), radar detectors.

There's one I've seen on Ebay that has USB-C right on it, but it's a long order from overseas, at least with Amazon these would show up in a day, and are easily returned. They're so cheap, it's tempting just to order them right now.

I believe the USB-C ports retain power, so I guess if the car sits for a long period you'd want to unplug it, but that's simple enough.

• Informative
Reactions: Zhe Wiz
Radar detector side note: wow, I guess my V1 Gen 1 is old. Hahaha, they used to offer firmware updates, but now they only offer upgrading to the new Gen 2, though they do give you a discount by way of a trade-in ($389 vs. $499). I guess it's time to upgrade, though if I do, I might change to an R7 since it seems to match features/effectiveness and has a much slicker display.

Have a question on the mount and how well it works. I thought only the spot right next to the windshield camera's was available to use. Something about the glass being reflective and now allowing those signals to go through easily. My FastPass transponder is up in that section where they recommend it goes.

Just wondering how well the detectors work up there.

Have a question on the mount and how well it works. I thought only the spot right next to the windshield camera's was available to use. Something about the glass being reflective and now allowing those signals to go through easily. My FastPass transponder is up in that section where they recommend it goes.

Just wondering how well the detectors work up there.
I think that's a Model S problem with it's metallic coating (See here). I don't think the Y has that issue. Range has not been noticeably different for me located here on the Y than it was in my Jeep Grand Cherokee mounted as high as it would go on the windshield. I haven't tested it scientifically in any way, but the R7 range is outstanding on Ka and it still is mounted above the screen on the Y. Rear range is harder to tell, but the arrows still work correctly moving front to back, so it seems rearward vision is still decent, though I admit I care much less about rear range.

Reactions: alexcue