Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Tesla for Uber?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this question has been raised before, but i'll provide as much info about myself as possible to get the best feedback.

NYC is quite the market for Uber, and as a passenger for the last year (and through various discussions) i'm willing to take the plunge for "Part time work".

This is not a "Brag" but as background, i currently make 150k-250k /year. And i live cheaply (have a roommate, pay 1300/m for rent.
My income fluctations so much because i'm in software sales.. and as such (like a real estate agent) my income fluctuates based on "closed deals"

But Alas, this is NYC, and in a bad year (150k) i'm merely middle class.
Which has deterred me from buying a car that i would have to pay $400/m to keep in storage.

So I thought to myself,
"Why not just buy a car, and Uber during my free time, and on weekends?"
Essentially driving Just enough to cover the payments and insurance.
i'm aware of the beurocratic loopholes that i will have to jump through to become an actual "NYC TLC certified driver" which is no problem.

I already had my mind set on a Cadillac XTS Premium before thinking "Duhhh!, Tesla!!"

are there any advantages/disadvantages to owning and operating a Tesla for 12 hour shifts in an urban city like NYC?

A lot of complaints about Uber seem to stem from the inability to make a decent income after expenses... I imagine after gas is taken out of the picture, the concept becomes allot more palatable.
even on slow weeks, or weeks in which i didn't feel like driving, i could loan the car to other trusted executive livery drivers to ensure I still had revenue coming in around the clock.

any suggestions?

-James

A question I'd have, to which I don't know the answer, is how Tesla would treat the warranty. There was someone who operated a taxi service and used a Model S. He had an early vehicle that required a least one drive unit replacement, as many here have reported. Problem is that Tesla didn't cover the cost of the replacement since his car was operated as a commercial vehicle, and thus not covered under warranty.

If you're using your car with Uber, does Tesla still honor the warranty?

Some results of an "Uber Tesla" search:

Let Uber Pick You Up In a Tesla - Bloomberg View

Uber and Tesla partner up in Shanghai - CNET!

PROVKÖR TESLA MED UBER | Uber Blog
(Translated from Swedish, French & Chinese)
On Thursday and Friday is your chance to test drive the hyped electric car Tesla Model S through your Uber app! In Stockholm on Thursday and in Gothenburg on Friday. Select "Tesla" option in the app, and a Tesla Model S will within a few minutes to roll forward, ready to run by you. Take your car to the meeting, at lunch or why not for the AW? Your friends are also welcome, you can have up to three people with you during the test drive that takes place together with a driver from Tesla. All test runs is free!
Try exclusively the Tesla Model S
This week we offer you the opportunity to try the new Tesla Model S free! Exclusively, Tesla and Uber combine to make you live a unique experience! From May 28 to 30, you can order via your application, the new model of this premium sedan, fully electric! Nothing could be simpler, just as you choose to order a sedan or a van, you can choose the Tesla option.
UBER take you to experience Tesla
The Uber jointly with Tesla, Tesla test drive to bring this exclusive opportunity for Shanghai users. Wednesday, June 18, you have the opportunity to sit on the cool wind pull the Tesla through Ubre App. Uber and Tesla are work ing together to bring this unique driving experience to our Shanghai users exclusively. On Wednesday, June 18, you can ride the newest and coolest all-electric sedan directly from your Uber App!

Tesla / Uber / Lyft | Forums | Tesla Motors
IvanSanDiego | May 27, 2014
I actually ordered my Tesla (delivery late Aug) to use with Uber as did my brother.

Tesla gives Uber a Model S boost at SXSW, so come on and take a free ride

Is anyone operating their Tesla as a UBER-X taxi? | Forums | Tesla Motors

I wouldn't do it just because I don't want strangers in my car. But if I didn't already have a Model S and needed to Uber a little in order to get one, I definitely would. You're going to be looking for excuses to drive it anyway.

Not trying to bring a topic from the dead but I didn't see this earlier. I use our Tesla for UberSelect rarely. Did it last night for 4 hours and made $238 dollars. I don't ever plan on doing uber but do it if I see a good upside. I tried it with UberX but the fares are too low and you get the drunks and people who don't respect the car so I would advise heavily against even considering doing UberX or Lyft with a Tesla. If they pay premium rate then they will treat it like a premium car (with respect) like they should. At least that's been my experience. Done Uber 3 nights this year since starting it in February.

You can make anywhere from $19 to $31 per hour Ubering in Uber "rush" hours. Financially it does not make any sense buying $110k car just for Uber.
If it is worth your time then go for it. remember this is before any expenses.
If I was worried about the money I would not buy a Tesla or ANY other car for that matter. A bus pass and a mountain bike are a much better way to get around and not spend a lot of money.
There are some days when I just want to drive instead and Tesla is great way to do that. Not sure about Uber, but Lyft pays 1.40 per mile and yes if the car depreciates 1.00 per mile then OK you have a point.

I plan to use my car for driving Lyft on weekends.
Reason, a large number of people have never seen a Tesla before and I want to change that.