TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Using Tesla for Uber?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by James Harrison, Feb 2, 2015.

1. James Harrison

James Harrison New Member

I'm sure this question has been raised before, but i'll provide as much info about myself as possible to get the best feedback.

NYC is quite the market for Uber, and as a passenger for the last year (and through various discussions) i'm willing to take the plunge for "Part time work".

This is not a "Brag" but as background, i currently make 150k-250k /year. And i live cheaply (have a roommate, pay 1300/m for rent.
    My income fluctations so much because i'm in software sales.. and as such (like a real estate agent) my income fluctuates based on "closed deals"

But Alas, this is NYC, and in a bad year (150k) i'm merely middle class.
    Which has deterred me from buying a car that i would have to pay $400/m to keep in storage.

So I thought to myself,
    "Why not just buy a car, and Uber during my free time, and on weekends?"
    Essentially driving Just enough to cover the payments and insurance.
    i'm aware of the beurocratic loopholes that i will have to jump through to become an actual "NYC TLC certified driver" which is no problem.

I already had my mind set on a Cadillac XTS Premium before thinking "Duhhh!, Tesla!!"

are there any advantages/disadvantages to owning and operating a Tesla for 12 hour shifts in an urban city like NYC?

A lot of complaints about Uber seem to stem from the inability to make a decent income after expenses... I imagine after gas is taken out of the picture, the concept becomes allot more palatable.
    even on slow weeks, or weeks in which i didn't feel like driving, i could loan the car to other trusted executive livery drivers to ensure I still had revenue coming in around the clock.

any suggestions?

-James

2. swaltner

swaltner Member

No input on the financial viability of doing Uber. We don't have it here, so I haven't spent any time investigating it. Not much traffic on it here on TMC, but there was a thread earlier this year about using a Tesla with Uber.

Uber Luxury Qualified

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

A question I'd have, to which I don't know the answer, is how Tesla would treat the warranty. There was someone who operated a taxi service and used a Model S. He had an early vehicle that required a least one drive unit replacement, as many here have reported. Problem is that Tesla didn't cover the cost of the replacement since his car was operated as a commercial vehicle, and thus not covered under warranty.

If you're using your car with Uber, does Tesla still honor the warranty?

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Some results of an "Uber Tesla" search:

Let Uber Pick You Up In a Tesla - Bloomberg View

Uber and Tesla partner up in Shanghai - CNET!

PROVKÖR TESLA MED UBER | Uber Blog
    (Translated from Swedish, French & Chinese)
    Tesla / Uber / Lyft | Forums | Tesla Motors
    Tesla gives Uber a Model S boost at SXSW, so come on and take a free ride

Is anyone operating their Tesla as a UBER-X taxi? | Forums | Tesla Motors

5. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I wouldn't do it just because I don't want strangers in my car. But if I didn't already have a Model S and needed to Uber a little in order to get one, I definitely would. You're going to be looking for excuses to drive it anyway.

6. shrink

shrink Member

You can't use a Roadster because Uber requires the vehicle to have 4 doors.

7. wcfinvader

wcfinvader Member

Not trying to bring a topic from the dead but I didn't see this earlier. I use our Tesla for UberSelect rarely. Did it last night for 4 hours and made $238 dollars. I don't ever plan on doing uber but do it if I see a good upside. I tried it with UberX but the fares are too low and you get the drunks and people who don't respect the car so I would advise heavily against even considering doing UberX or Lyft with a Tesla. If they pay premium rate then they will treat it like a premium car (with respect) like they should. At least that's been my experience. Done Uber 3 nights this year since starting it in February.

8. polything

polything Member

You can make anywhere from $19 to $31 per hour Ubering in Uber "rush" hours. Financially it does not make any sense buying $110k car just for Uber.

If it is worth your time then go for it. remember this is before any expenses.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

My concern wouldn't be gas, but depreciation. At nearly/approx $1.00 per mile, that would be the obstacle in my thinking.

10. KJD

KJD Member

If I was worried about the money I would not buy a Tesla or ANY other car for that matter. A bus pass and a mountain bike are a much better way to get around and not spend a lot of money.
    There are some days when I just want to drive instead and Tesla is great way to do that. Not sure about Uber, but Lyft pays 1.40 per mile and yes if the car depreciates 1.00 per mile then OK you have a point.

I plan to use my car for driving Lyft on weekends.
    Reason, a large number of people have never seen a Tesla before and I want to change that.

11. ww73

ww73 Member

What if you lease and write the whole thing off as business expense?

12. Ziska

Ziska Member