Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Usual price for tire swap ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Allx

Aug 28, 2018
NJ
Tesla just quoted 200$ for tire swap , is that really the going price these days ? I could have sworn I’d seen ppl saying it was something like 25/tire . I mean I know their service is pricier than others but I guess it’s the 200 threshold that’s making think twice.

Tesla just quoted 200$ for tire swap , is that really the going price these days ? I could have sworn I’d seen ppl saying it was something like 25/tire . I mean I know their service is pricier than others but I guess it’s the 200 threshold that’s making think twice.
Most 3rd party shops around me are at $150. If tesla is mobile and they do it at your house, do that for the extra $50 tbh.

Reactions: Allx
If you find the right dealer, they may even do it for free.
Tesla doesn't want to be a tire shop. They will do it, but they will make you pay for it.
It's much easier for a tire shop to do the swap, they can lift on rack and move all at the same time.
Yeah , I did a few times but those places make me feel uneasy - the last one lowered my car on top of the tires they’d taken off . Maybe I just need to look a little harder for a good place :)

Last October, when my car reached it's second birthday, I arranged for a mobile service tech to come to my house to do the recommended 2year service: replace cabin air filter, check brake fluid, inspect & lube calipers. I also asked that they rotate my tires for me. Total cost was $143

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Last October, when my car reached it's second birthday, I arranged for a mobile service tech to come to my house to do the recommended 2year service: replace cabin air filter, check brake fluid, inspect & lube calipers. I also asked that they rotate my tires for me. Total cost was $143
That’s pretty good . I’m guessing they don’t come off the rim for rotation ? Maybe that’s the difference . Might be worth having a summer and winter set of rims - a set of aero must be something like 1k?

Reactions: tm1v2
Tesla just quoted 200$ for tire swap , is that really the going price these days ?

By "tire swap", do you mean:
1). Dismounting winter tires and mounting + balancing summer tires on the same set of wheels?
-or-
2). Replacing one set of wheels + tires with another set (of previously mounted and balanced) wheels and tires?

I could have sworn I’d seen ppl saying it was something like 25/tire .

Most independent tires shops will mount + balance tires for between $20-40/per, depending on the stiffness and size of the tire wall (smaller and stiffer is harder and more expensive).
OEMs, including Tesla SC's, will easily double that price point.
Because they can.

Where exactly in NJ are you?
I am in NNJ, and have a few independent shops I could recommend.

I mean I know their service is pricier than others but I guess it’s the 200 threshold that’s making think twice.

Any OEM service center would be the LAST place I would take any of my cars for tire / wheel / alignment work. They do that rarely, are not very good at it, and are always over-priced. In the case of Tesla SCs, the wait time is 3-4 weeks in my area.
Why wait that long to over-pay for crappy service?

HTH,
a

I am not sure how many feels about this as I am not sure how the quality fo the work is, but I know at least in the past if you bought snow tires from Costco, they would swap the tires for free every season, The best option is for sure to have separate wheels and tires.

I am not sure how many feels about this as I am not sure how the quality fo the work is, but I know at least in the past if you bought snow tires from Costco, they would swap the tires for free every season, The best option is for sure to have separate wheels and tires.
Yeah actually I used them for a while and they do good work and run a tidy shop compared to others but they changed their policy and won’t do non-Costco tires . Unfortunately , they didn’t have PS4Ss for a year or so and they don’t sell hakkapellita out here in NJ so neither set is from them .