Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utility Company Can't Read Meter and Sends us "Estimated" Bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this on the official forum, but after no replies, I decided to try here:

Summary: Two out of three last bills have been estimated, because utility cannot read the meter, and the utility company will not say when the issue will be fixed.

Discussion: Our Tesla PV/Powerwall system went online in May. Part of the startup involved our utility company (APS) installing a new meter. The first bill was a combination of pre- and post- PV operation. The second bill indicated that the meter could not be read (remotely), and that the bill was an estimate. A day later, we received a new bill, presumably corrected, since the bill was for a different amount and did not mention issues with meter reading. We paid the second bill. Recently, we received our third bill, for the following period, and again, the bill is an estimate, because APS could not read the meter.

We spoke with APS, who, at the time, was able to read the meter and indicated that our most recent estimated billing was overcharging us. But don't worry, we were told, since the data in the meter is accurate, and eventually, the meter will be read and our subsequent bill at that time will reflect an adjustment. Naturally, my concern is that estimation errors will accumulate, and we could be faced owing an huge adjustment. Besides, billings should be accurate.

When pressed further, APS admitted that this was a problem with many of their solar customers. Evidently, "the computer" reads the meter only at specific times, and these operations are often not successful. Being technically savvy, I interpret this to mean that their billing task polls the meters remotely, and this operation is not reliable. APS explained that the meters could be successfully read remotely via a manual operation. I asked if we could obtain a corrected bill based on a manual remote access of our meter. I was told that this request would be passed up the line but was unlikely to be granted, and we would likely continue to receive "estimated" bills until the issue was resolved. APS had no idea when this would be resolved.

I appreciate that candor of the person with whom we spoke. Our bill payment is due in just a few days, and our deadline was extended due to this issue, since we don't want to pay inaccurate bills. However, from other sources, I have learned that APS has had many complaints about additional deposits of hundreds of dollars being demanded from customers due to late payments of which the customers allege they are not aware. Maybe this is sour grapes on the customers' part, but even though our deadline has been extended, the right hand may not know what the left one is doing, and I don't want to risk such a late fee and its complicated resolution, or worse yet, service cutoff, so I'll probably pay the bogus bill by the due date on the bill. Any practical advice?

In Texas the Public Utility Commission has rules governing the reading of meters. A utility is not allowed to estimate your bill more than so many times in 12 months. Check that.
Also there is a website where you can see your own meter reads. You can also cause a read to be taken. Just takes a minute or so. There should be something similar in Az.
Finally you can read your own meter and compare it to your bill which also has the meter readings on it. The meter display should flash thru the various register readings and you'll have to take a video or write the readings down.

You can always contact your Public Utility Commission (or equivalent) in Az.

What is the total dollar amount that you think you are being overcharged? Our utility has a policy that they will cut you a check when your credit balance reaches a certain dollar amount. I think that is a good par value for when you should stop paying for excessive over-estimated bills.

We had solar installed but had to wait 49 days before the utility company installed the meters. So far they have charged us $200 twice for estimated usage over two months and I'm betting another estimated bill is coming next week. The sad thing is our sol system was sized to offset all our usage and our electric bills would've been $0 if they would've installed the meters two months ago.

I will definitely be contacting the PUC if we get another bill for $200.

Based on some advice here, I looked up and downloaded our PUC "Arizona Administrative Code." According to that lengthy document, the utility company can provide estimated bills under the following (summarized) conditions: a) extreme weather conditions" prevent meter readings, b) failure of customer to read own equipment when the customer is to provide readings, c) utility is unable to obtain access to customer premises to perform the read due to locked gate, etc., d) "customer equipment failures" prevent reading; we have been assured by APS that our equipment is operational, and that they are able to access it via a remote manual read operation, and e) "to facilitate timely billing for customers using load profiles." From my interpretation, our situation is not addressed by these conditions, and APS should have performed a manual reading if their software process cannot access the meter. There is nothing wrong with our meter, and full access to the meter by APS is available.
I can, of course, and will probably, bring this to their attention and likely elevate the issue, but I'll probably pay the estimate bill by the deadline to avoid bureaucratic complications.

Unrelated to your new meter, but estimated readings are common here as most meters are old fashioned and read manually. Thus at least every-other-time is an estimated reading.

I read my meters (manually) every week, and log them, because I am interested in the data, and the performance of any energy-saving initiatives we are making. Thus when the utility bill arrives its easy enough for me to check if it is "close" to my own readings.

The problem with the estimated bills is if the price goes up; the date of the price increase is between meter readings, so fairly important that it is right. If they estimate (as of the price-increase date) that I have used more than I had, at the old price, that's their problem. If its the other way round I correct then, and they re-issue the bill.

Likewise If the regular bill estimated reading is high I get them to correct it, if its low I just pay it.

In Texas, the utility commission REQUIRES that an estimated reading be noted as such on the bill.
That is only fair to the customer.
If your meter is manually read and the price you pay for electricity varies, how can the reading result in an accurate bill?
The only way I know is to have several registers in the meter that register usage by time of day.

Utilities do not read meters every month.
Yes, you are caught with the bad end of the stick, but it will work out in the long run.

KUB reads my meter every month if I pay actual bill amount, every other month if I do Levelized Billing Plan (supposed to even your bills so in their dream world you'd get 12 even bills a year, in reality they adjust every few months and under and overbill so bad its useless).

So I pay the actual bill every month and they read it every month.

In Texas, the utility commission REQUIRES that an estimated reading be noted as such on the bill.
That is only fair to the customer.
If your meter is manually read and the price you pay for electricity varies, how can the reading result in an accurate bill?
The only way I know is to have several registers in the meter that register usage by time of day.
Isn't that what TOU bridge meters and smart meters are used for?

Before I was on TOU and netmetering plans, my meter would record one usage per month. With TOU, it would record the data every 15 minutes throughout the day. Now with netmetering, it records it constantly throughout the day (production and consumption).

Just in case of interest:

For me in UK:

Yes, Estimated meter readings are shown on the bill (and I can phone up with my own reading and they will re-issue the bill)

Only a very few TOU rates available as yet yet . They require a smart-meter. Mine came to be fitted and the mobile phone signal apparently "too weak" so they went away again <sigh>

My meter has two recorders for peak/off-peak (most common is Economy-7 which is cheaper rate 7-hours at night, typically midnight-7am (and an hour different for Winter/Summer (Daylight saving) time ... ). E7 rate normally has day-rate slightly more expensive - to encourage night-use - and was originally intended for use of electric night-storage heaters (thermal bricks that heated up overnight); my night-rate is about 40% cheaper than day.

No net-metering (that I know of). We have PV and a meter that records "production". It is assumed that we export 50% of that and I receive a payment for what I produce (that has been declining, for new installs, and stops next spring I think) and also a payment for what I am assumed to have exported. For people who are out to work it might well be that they export far more than 50%? I work from home, have lots of computer equipment running 24/7, and definitely use 100% of what I produce ... so the sums work for me :)