Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 updated FSD wiper fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe post your car model? I agree it is very uncommon in our X as well. (Vision only, no rain sensor.) I have had it go wild wiping when I thought it was unneeded, but maybe half dozen times over a couple years? Not a serious pain point here.
(I don't see any release note mention of wiper changes... so I doubt it was changed also.)

Upvote 0
Should have bought an X haha. 2020 Model 3. Wipers engage nearly synchronized with autopilot or FSD engagement. They randomly wipe the entire drive with some longer pauses. No rhyme or reason to it.
Does that model have a rain sensor or use vision? I know there have been past threads where this is discussed. FSD enabling wiping is thought to be because vision thinks there is limited visibility on the front cams when FSD was enabled. In past threads, a couple people noted that use of window treatments like RainX over the camera glass region throws off the vision algorithms. Also, of course, if the window is extra dirty there or wiper performance has degraded at the upper section you can see problems. (Maybe you checked all this, might be worth asking service if they see anything. There was one report on the forum, I think, of some contamination under the glass around the camera housing.)

Reactions: danakchandler
Upvote 0
Does that model have a rain sensor or use vision? I know there have been past threads where this is discussed. FSD enabling wiping is thought to be because vision thinks there is limited visibility on the front cams when FSD was enabled. In past threads, a couple people noted that use of window treatments like RainX over the camera glass region throws off the vision algorithms. Also, of course, if the window is extra dirty there or wiper performance has degraded at the upper section you can see problems. (Maybe you checked all this, might be worth asking service if they see anything. There was one report on the forum, I think, of some contamination under the glass around the camera housing.)
I have a 23 Model 3. This doesn't help. Glass is perfectly clean and it does it in great visibility on sunny days, cloudy days without rain, nighttime. It just stinks.

I thought maybe there was haze on the inside of the W/S from degassing of the interior. No luck.

Upvote 0
Yes I have tried all these things already. And the camera housing is crystal clear too. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue, It’s got to be a software bug fix that’s why I was hoping maybe the new FSD corrected it. Strange it’s not happening in other models with the same software though. Beats me.

Upvote 0
We had about 700 miles this weekend on 11.3.2 in our Model 3. We had several dry wipes. Sort of random single wipes, rather than turning on for an extended session. I tried turning wipers off, but it refuses when AP is engaged.

This was most likely to occur when we were heading into a relatively low sun angle. The windshield was a mess with bug splats, so my theory is the little splats in front of the camera sort of lit up and the computer interpreted them as rain drops.

Upvote 0
No, it did not. So frustrating- makes FSD unusable unless it’s raining. Each new update makes the experience worse. The wipers run constantly, the car is always changing into the left lane, either to “follow the route “ even though the next turn is to the right and only a mile away, or to “stay out of right most lane” even though signs say “stay right except to pass”. What is it with this left-lane obsession? I pretty much can’t use Autopilot anymore because the “upgrades” have made me a hazard on the road.

Upvote 0
The car is always changing into the left lane, either to “follow the route “ even though the next turn is to the right and only a mile away, or to “stay out of right most lane” even though signs say “stay right except to pass”. What is it with this left-lane obsession? I pretty much can’t use Autopilot anymore because the “upgrades” have made me a hazard on the road.
My 11.3.3 is obsessed with senseless lane changes to the right.

Reactions: RenMan68
Upvote 0