Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Blind Spot Monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Would be good if that did happen - from an aerodynamic point of view, those wing mirrors are a disaster. Responsible for a considerable amount of fuel consumption that could be eliminated given the correct technology.

I recently read of a Audi? that comes with electronic camera based rear vision system, but it is only being released in jurisdictions where that is legal. The implication being that there are few places where such a system is allowed for in the legislation.

For the "safety claim" above there is a big difference, between "convenience" and "safety". I don't deny that those find the feature convenient and have even formed habits around it, but that does not make it "safe" - in the engineering sense of the word.

Personally I have tried using the reversing camera while driving at speed, and it made me feel ill. I'm not prone to motion sickness. There are at least a couple of others that have reported the same.

Reactions: SpudLime
So blind spot monitoring & alerts are irrelevant because all cars have side mirrors?

Surely its a mindset thing. I've always thought of BSM as an augmentation of my perception, maybe reducing the odds that when I look in my mirrors or perform a head check before pulling out, the car may warn me if there is something I have failed to observe.

However reading others text I get the feeling there are people that are relying on BSM for decision making and eliminating their own situational scanning from driving. That scares me a bit.

Reactions: SpudLime