Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Blind Spot Monitoring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KArnold

May 21, 2017
Columbus OH
I'm on 2018.39.5 on my AP2 MCU1 MS100D. The BSM seems to work fine EXCEPT for directly behind me. Much of my commute twice a day is bumper-to-bumper. Whether crawling with a car < 1 car length behind me, to totally stopped with a car stopped behind me, the BSM shows nothing directly back.

Is that just me? Only 50 or so miles on v9 so far.

So, I'll ask the question, why would a car directly behind you be a problem with Blind Spot Monitoring? And why would they not be viewable in the rear view mirror?

Blind Spot monitoring is generally when cars are in the areas that you can't see, both rear quarter areas.
This. Blind spot monitoring is a feature to prevent you from turning into traffic on your sides, in the blind spot, when lane changing.... If the car is directly behind you there is no risk and that's what your mirror is for.

I'm on 2018.39.5 on my AP2 MCU1 MS100D. The BSM seems to work fine EXCEPT for directly behind me. Much of my commute twice a day is bumper-to-bumper. Whether crawling with a car < 1 car length behind me, to totally stopped with a car stopped behind me, the BSM shows nothing directly back.

Is that just me? Only 50 or so miles on v9 so far.
It's not just you, though as others have stated, cars directly behind aren't necessarily a blind-spot issue, but in V9, it seems to randomly display cars behind you in the IC. I thought it was related to the distance (tailgating cars display, others don't), but I haven't been able to figure out the exact pattern. I think there is a bug, and hopefully it gets worked out in subsequent updates.

I guess I assumed it would be part of the package. Just seems counter-intuitive to me - there is space for it on the IC, there is a camera pointed in that direction. I thought it could help mitigate the loss of running the apps I want - now being forced to one app of my choosing I'll use the browser, where before it was browser and rear cam. Sure I can look on the mirror. And I can headcheck my other blind spots too if needed.

It would be nice to look at one device for situational awareness awareness, IMHO. Hopefully it's coming.

It would be nice to look at one device for situational awareness awareness, IMHO. Hopefully it's coming.
This is a major step back in safety. Before I could glace at one screen for situational awareness. Not just the rear, but most of the sides. Far better than moving back and forth among 3 mirrors spread across the car. As the screen provided two sides and rear integrated, a quick glance gave me my situation in traffic.
This is a safety issue.

• Disagree
Reactions: J1mbo and KArnold
This is a major step back in safety. Before I could glace at one screen for situational awareness. Not just the rear, but most of the sides. Far better than moving back and forth among 3 mirrors spread across the car. As the screen provided two sides and rear integrated, a quick glance gave me my situation in traffic.
This is a safety issue.

Rubbish. The only devices developed to a suffient safety standard are your eyes and mirrors. I seriously doubt the video display is guaranteed to provide a safe reliable and accurate representation of the rear of your car under all conditions.

This is a safety issue.

Exaggerate much?

Rubbish. The only devices developed to a suffient safety standard are your eyes and mirrors. I seriously doubt the video display is guaranteed to provide a safe reliable and accurate representation of the rear of your car under all conditions.

Do you have a class A license or a class C license ?
Are you a professional driver? SCCA?
Do you have any experience in designing safety systems?

Sign the Petition

This is a safety issue.

Do you have a class A license or a class C license ?
Are you a professional driver? SCCA?
Do you have any experience in designing safety systems?

Sign the Petition

From a layman's point of view, it could be argued that having the camera on at all times is actually MORE of a safety issue due to it being a distraction. The main argument is that the majority of automobiles that have backup cameras do NOT allow it to be viewed while moving forward over a certain low speed.

So whomever is in charge of safety with all these other manufactures have deemed it unsafe.